Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On the 1911A1 forum there was a lot of discussion about ACT magazines going bad on S&W 1911 pistols. Cracks would develop at the back of the feed lips causing malfunctions. SOP for S&W 1911 owners was to immediately go out and buy Wilson mags when they purchased their pistols to avoid these problems. I wondered if anyone had had any problems with the mags in the P99?

Dep

· Registered
33 Posts
Mecgar manufactures the P99 mags that come with the pistol, I'm sure you already know this. They function perfectly fine, so do the S&W99 mags. I'm assuming they manufacture them for the S&W99 as well( correct me if I'm wrong anyone ), except for the fact that instead of having "Walther CAL .40" it has ".40 S&W" and instead of having a Mecgar stamp on the side, it has a S&W logo. Same goes for the stamp on the bottom of the magazine as well. Promags however, I have heard from many individuals to stay away from them.

· Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I corrected my post. The problem was with ACT mags...not MecGar. Sorry for the confusion. ACT are also made in Italy and that's where I got goofed up. The ACT mags were the ones that were cracking at the feed lips. Again...sorry for the confusion. Good to hear the MecGar works good. I have heard a few negative comments about the ProMag in the P99, though.

Dep

· Registered
1,180 Posts
Very early (2004 or so) OEM mags in .40 cal had a problem with the bases cracking off, but I haven't heard that complaint in a few years now.

· Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very early (2004 or so) OEM mags in .40 cal had a problem with the bases cracking off, but I haven't heard that complaint in a few years now.
I found those complaints on another forum but they dated to back to 2004-05. Evidently MecGar solved whatever was wrong.

· Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Most handgun manufacturers today do not make their own magazines. The manufacture of magazines is highly sophisticated, and far more complex and demanding than the manufacture of, for example, barrels or slides. Because the processes are so specialized, most handgun manufacturers prefer to buy, rather than make.

Mec-Gar is the OEM of magazines for many brands both foreign and domestic, and they have a reputation second to none.

M

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.