Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own and love an all black P99 in 9mm. Great gun.

I have tried all three grip inserts and have settled on the medium-sized one. It feels pretty good, but what would really fit me perfectly would be something between the medium and the large. The backstrap on the top of the large grip makes the gun sit perfectly in my hand, however the bottom portion that sits in my palm feels too big. Does Walther make any other sizes of backstraps?

I note that on the Kahny parts list there are both a "medium" and a "medium USA" grip insert. What is the difference between them?

·
Registered
69 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (P88 @ May 07 2004,5:27)]They make a wood insert that has the correct cut outs to fit, but you have to sand it down to the contour that you like. Here's a link:

Walther Walnut Backstrap
Interesting... had never seen that.

Those crazy Germans... they've thought of everything.

Well, there's your answer 699... you best get to whittlin'.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I was toying with the idea of making one out of a scrap of ebony. Might look good with the black polymer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wood? Are you kidding me? That would look incredibly bush-league, and "wood" completely ruin the beautiful appearance of my all black gun. No thanks, life's too short for ugly guns...and women.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Ebony is a black, hard wood 699.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sorry if my post came across as though I was ungrateful for the input. It was not meant to, I truly appreciate everyone's replies.

I simply could not envision a wood part on a plastic frame, as I was ignorantly thinking wood = brown. I have since had a look at some of the ebony hardwood MLB suggests and have to admit it probably wouldn't look too bad at all if carved in a first class manner. Has anyone got any pics of an ebony-backstrapped P99 (or any other wood) they would like to share?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
No harm no foul 699. I haven't seen any except for the walnut ones. I don't think they would look very good on an all black gun either. Maybe I'll stop by the local woodworker joint and see if I can get a piece of ebony...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yea, no harm no foul. My statement was in jest.:D

The wood actually looks pretty good on the OD frame. Not sure about the black, but I'd like to see it before I made a judgement call.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same problem and found an easy fix. The medium back strap was too small and the large one hit my palm poorly.

The fix is to take the large back strap and sand down the portion that is annoying you. For me the portion could have a good 5 mm sanded off with out breaking through. I marked the portion I didn't like and measured its thickness. I then started to work it down until I was happy. Make sure you do the sanding off of the gun.

The outcome is my wife prefers mine and now I must custom fit one for her also. This will cost me at least another 10 minutes.... such is the price of getting it right. Just remeber if you do the sanding with the back strap off the gun a mistake only costs a few dollars.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Interesting idea... what type(s) & grit(s) of sandpaper did you use ? And did you manage to get a smooth finish ? Or is it somewhat coarse (maybe that's a good thing ?) ?

Any pics ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (DarthSkeeter @ May 11 2004,9:49)]Interesting idea... what type(s) & grit(s) of sandpaper did you use ? And did you manage to get a smooth finish ? Or is it somewhat coarse (maybe that's a good thing ?) ?

Any pics ?
btt

Any pics?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I guess I'm not much of a perfectionist. I just added a couple of Ranger Bands to the medium grip, and it's just right for me, and grippy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Call it a sacrilege, but I put the Hogue handall grip on my .40 S&W P99. It adds a little bit of material to the back side and fills out the sides for a better feel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just a thought, as I recently starting experimenting with cutting and reshaping a Hogue soft rubber grip which seems very possible, would it be possible to carefully carve / reshape the synthetic rubber insert a bit with a dremel tool, might be worth experimenting with some spare inserts to see if it would come out looking ok. These dremel tools have an incredible variety of cutting, grinding and reshaping bits and are relatively inexpensive.
oops!, did not read all the posts, looks like 9&10mm already suggested cutting/reshapping the large grip, a dremel does work well though for some plastics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts