Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went shooting today and the P99 9mm AS shot great just plinking. No malfunctions. I would say i put about 100 rounds through it. Then i tried some tactical things like drawing from a holster and double tapping. In the middle of a full magazine, the slide locked back as if the mag was empty. I just racked the slide a little and kept shooting, it did it again around the 3rd shot of a new mag. its strange, its not a jam, its as if the gun thinks the mags empty lol. i think my grip is to blame, the thumb of my left hand may be hitting the slide stop because of the recoil, i figured this out on the way home. if you have had this happend then let me know. also i experienced this on my kimber .45 pro cdp so i think it is my grip.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I have not had this happen to me.... but I have heard a few people say it has happened to them.....
There is a post somewhere around here ..... where somebody had the P99 refinished.... and in the process has taken the slide stop lever off (grinder it down so it's flush with the frame) I am not sure if it was due to the same issue or just to not have anything outside the frame that can snagg on clothes.... but yea you are not the only one that had that happen....

·
Registered
333 Posts
If indeed you think its your grip .......try the grip I described in some of my point shooting lessons awhile back.

This is the reason I don't like or teach the "thumbs forward" grip while handling a semi-auto. Have your gun lock back at the wrong time........and you are done for.

Essentially you want the weak hand thumb to lock over and on top of the strong hand thumb.......... pressing down to adjust the tightness of your grip. With this method there is absolutely no way your thumbs or fingers can intefere with the slide!

Thumbs forward pointing towards the target ........ I have seen this cause countless problems.......then add some stress to the situation and you have a nightmare.

Try a new grip and let us know how it goes..........

JF.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Sniper..... where are you located at......
find me some good shooting instructor in the Salt Lake City are would you
prewwty please
I think I do good... but damn your tips just always make me wanna take some classes....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think it is my grip, after reading what you guys wrote, and thanks for the info Sniper you hit the nail on the head cause thats exactly what i do, i do the thumb over thumb grip. im actually good with it but i guess if the slide will lock back when i do it then i have to change the grip. The next time i shoot it ill try a new grip and ill see if it happens.

·
Registered
333 Posts
uncut- Unfortunately I am on the East Coast.

Classes are a great idea ........ even after 30 years of shooting on Police pistol ranges, I am still fine tuning my shooting skills -------

So learning never stops....and its been a hell of a fun ride

Good with luck with your training....even the smallest amounts add up and help

JF.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts