Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody heard anything else about the P99 Compact?
Since my Kahr crapped out, I'm looking for another sub-compact.
And If Walther doesn't hurry up with the P99c, I may have to pick up a SW99 Compact *shudder*.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
:crickets on

No new news.

James

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sent an email to Walther and got this reply:

"The P99 Compact cal. 9 mm will be produced from 2004. At the moment the sales in the USA is not yet foreseeable.

Best regards,
Carl Walther GmbH"

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmmm........
I guess I'll grab a SW99 compact and keep hoping the P99 will show up some day.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the SW99 Compacts, so there's no need to shudder. I have the .40 with about 1000 rounds through it and it operates flawlessly. It's my primary CCW pistol.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I know the SW99's are nice pistols. But, i'd rather have a P99 Compact, just because I prefer the Walther name.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Already done that......
Wanna buy some Walther underwear?

Actually, I like the slide profile of the Walther compact more than the S&W's rounded slide , and I hate the forward grooves on the SW slide.
Personal preference.

·
Registered
91 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (NM_P99 @ Sep. 30 2003,7:04)]Wanna buy some Walther underwear?
Are the skid marks German? I prefer "stainless".;)

A friend has the P99 in .40 and I didn't like the sharp edges where the barrel was relieved towards the muzzle. I like the forward slide serrations as it makes it easier for me to disassemble. I can grab the forward serrations with my left hand between my pinky and palm and relieve the recoil spring tension and also push down on the break down tab with my index finger and thumb. I'm able to maintain a full grip on the butt with my strong hand, so I'll never drop it during disassembly.

It's nice to have options, eh?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I see that Tetragon in Canada is now advertising it on their website. Interesting image, doesn't show the "DAO" lasered on the slide.

P99C at Tetragon

Regards,
James

·
Registered
33 Posts
My only objection to the S&W or Walther P99 compact is that they both are Double Action Only(DAO) which is not the Quick Action(QA). The DAO is almost a 9 pound pull the full .6 inch trigger legnth while the QA is about 7 pounds but only a .3 inch pull. Being DAO there is no decocker. No need I guess.

But in fairness, I will try it out before I judge them.

Incidently I notice that FN Highpowers have a new compacts with DAO and one that is traditional double action/single action. That seems the way to go, to give the consumer a choice.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My only objection to the S&W or Walther P99 compact is that they both are Double Action Only(DAO)
The SW99 Compact is traditional DA/SA according to SW Website:

SKU: 120212
Type: Pistol
Model: SW99
Caliber: .40 S&W
Barrel Length: 3-1/2"
Capacity: 8 Rounds +1
Action: TDA
External Safety: N/A
Hammer: N/A
Trigger: N/A 3-1/2"
Grip: Integral, Textured Firing System: Striker
Front Sight: White Dot Rear Sight: Adjustable 2-Dot
Frame: Compact Finish: Black/ Melonite
Over all length: 6.6" Weight: 22.5 ounces
Material: Polymer Frame / Stainless Steel Slide & Barrel

SW99 Compact Picture

It has a decocker as you can see in the picture. I saw one for the first time over the weekend and it looks bigger than I thought. Didn't handle it, because I didn't want to bother the Oshman's clerk

Regards,
James

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The SW99 Compact is surprisingly comfortable in your hand. It felt, to me, just like I had a full sized P99 in my hand, but just a bit lighter.

I'm just guessing, but I bet that Walther is using the same mold it uses for the SW99 compact and just switching the label. It's too bad, because I like the squared look myself.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Now that I have pictures to compare, I stare at the SW99C and P99C pictures side by side and I notice the backstrap on the Walther is more like the full size P99 than the Smith version. Whenever I've picked up the Smith compact at shows to hold it just doesn't feel right. The backstrap on the Walther is closer to my Glock 26. Perhaps the Walther will be worth waiting for after all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts