Walther Forums banner

Answers to questions not asked yet

4K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  ssivbreger 
#1 ·
Walther Arms just answered the questions nobody asked yet on their newest Facebook post:

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
How can anybody not want “the cleanest and most expertly machined version of the PPK and PPK/s Model to date”? Glad to hear that Umarex was able to improve on the quality of those ZM, Ulm, and IA/Ranger pistols.

#7 ·
I just slammed them (in the comments) on their flippant denial of .32/7.65 as possibility.

... But they're just ignoring their consumers if they dismiss .32.
I suspect the number of consumers they’re ignoring is insufficiently large to overcome the economies of scale to favor producing in another caliber.

The .32 is preferred by historical fans, nostalgians, and plinkers, but people who buy this because they actually need a gun have always trended toward the .380.

That’s why most of the Interarms-era PP-series guns were .380. Back when the first German police surplus .32 PP’s started coming in, quite a few were actually converted to .380.

While that nonsense has stopped and folks are buying the .32 PP’s as collectibles, I doubt a new .32 could pay for itself.

#8 · (Edited)
I think there are more than just a few reasons NOT to build one .32 even though I would consider one. Beyond the long term PPK fan base, how many folks out there want a relatively heavy blow back .32? Seems to be a lot of opinions on what is the better/best/minimum caliber for self defense. Don’t remember .32 being high on the list. Even though it worked quite well in Bond movies especially with a suppressor. Anybody priced out .32 rounds lately? Not sure I’d want to spend a lot of time at the range shooting at paper. How many of the current PPK purists would buy it considering the comments about the S&W and now Walther use of the extended tang.

#14 · (Edited)
With most guns, seeing .380 as the minimum makes sense, I guess. But I tend to think PPK fans see more merit with .32/7.65 than most gun buyers. And not just because of Bond--I've been seeing stuff to the effect of this (https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/32-acp-is-pretty-good-too/) for years. And I get the sense PPK fans know enough about the gun to know that 7.65 is (more or less) the original, and probably better suited to the design.

So, Walther gives us a new PPK in .380, and says "no .32"... blindly assuming PPK consumers will see it like all other .380s.

Long story short: I think there's a bigger market for a 7.65 PPK than Walther thinks there is. At least that's my hypothesis.

#15 ·
Gentleman's wager:
I'm putting my money on Walther pulling in a very quickly sold, high sales volume / low production ppk targeted at a specific demographic ("enthusiasts"/"collectors") and for a very respectable profit margin with a
"Limited Edition" release in .32 / 7.65
This would do 2 things for Walther. (In no particular order)
1. Sold Out = %$$$$$$$$$$>.380
2. Another "collectable" to add to their legends repertoire

Reactions: halfmoonclip
#16 ·
I could see that. Start the .32 as a limited edition... test the waters. And it would definitely fit with their Legends line.

On the other hand, if they invest in tooling, design, regulatory BS to get a new gun out there... you'd think they'd want to sell as many as they could.

On the other, other hand... it's not like there's any mystery on how to make a 7.65 PPK. I guess it wouldn't require a major investment in R&D, etc. But who knows.

#20 ·
.32 ACP is a good cartridge.
With the optimal ratio of properties and dimensions.
Significantly more efficient than .25 and providing more reliable automation and mag capacity than .22.
But their unreasonably high price spoils everything.
I am not a supporter of any conspiracy theories, but it seems that this cartridge was intentionally discredited by a gang of monopolists smalarms production.
Firstly, to oust from the market a huge number of pistols for this cartridge produced in the first half of the 20th century.
Secondly, to reduce production costs, due to the narrowing of the lineup.

Instead, everyone competes "Who is cutting the next Glock, which is not like Glock." And strive to foist useless crap for .22WMR or 5,7...

This is a real scam.

#24 ·
OH, dear Kar'. That's one I haven't done. :D Where did I see that great deal on 8mm Lebel ammo? ;)

Jimmo', have to wonder if I'm responsible for some %-age of the .32 components sold? Actually, neither the dies nor other components were a challenge to find, and there are real savings. Right now, I can scarcely load 9s for what you can buy them, but .380s and .32s are a deal.

Matty' may be on to something; Colt and Smith have turned more than a few bucks on 'commemorative' copies of older models, in some cases not even very close copies.

A .32 (please, God, with a toned down beak) Bond commemorative might do well.

Moon

#29 ·
Two things here -
Considering all the 7.65mm Beretta 81s still sitting on the shelves with a >$200 price tag...
Almost a thousand reviews, just on sweaty Ben's site - https://www.classicfirearms.com/beretta-mod-81-pistol-surplus-used-good-very-good/ -
We all know there are more dealers selling them, too. Plus, not everyone that buys one leaves a review.
These things are selling like hotcakes. Could be that the reason they're not sold out is that there's a huge amount of them to sell. I assume we all saw the crates on Classic's site.

...with a >$200 price tag I can't see Walther jumping in to the pool with a $700 offering.
Can't disagree with this at all.
New Walthers are expensive. I can't speak for anyone else, but I got my PPK/s used because, regardless of how much I like them, I just can't justify that kind of money for what is essentially a pocket gun.

I think they are at this price point due simply to the fact that we buy them at this price point.

As far as the caliber goes, I LOVE shooting .32. It's a hoot. I have a Colt, a Savage, a Walther, and a Beretta, and really like them all.

Reloading can be a bit of a pain in the......fingers, but I do it.

#33 ·
I was just hassling Kar 98', if he got those 8mm Lebels, he'd have to go looking for a Chauchat gun, and who doesn't want one of those? At least they were better than the .30-'06 version. :)
As regards reloading the .32, really haven't found it much of a hassle; they run thru' the Dillon like corn thru' a goose. A late buddy always drew the line at .25s, tho'...compared it to picking fly poop out of black pepper.
When all those 81s are gone, I'll be kicking myself for not getting one. Local dealer has some really minty ones.
Concur that a .32 PPK would be of interest only to folks here. Still wish they would do it, don't forget the beak. Would those German slides have to be recertified for export? :rolleyes:
Moon

#34 ·
I was just hassling Kar 98', if he got those 8mm Lebels, he'd have to go looking for a Chauchat gun, and who doesn't want one of those?
Me...At least to keep. I'd sell it for something I really want....
There is a rather unflattering nickname due to the open mags.

As regards reloading the .32, really haven't found it much of a hassle; they run thru' the Dillon like corn thru' a goose.
You must have a feeder. I've pinched my fingers a few times on the 550.

When all those 81s are gone, I'll be kicking myself for not getting one. Local dealer has some really minty ones.
Concur that a .32 PPK would be of interest only to folks here.
Moon
Yessir, you will be.
Might as well do it now and get it over with.......:D
I'm thinking that another one might be in my future, as well.

#35 ·
Nah, it's my long suffering, and B-flat 550. No case feed; love the relative simplicity.
Where are you getting pinched? Perching the bullet on the case?
Yeah, I need to touch base with the local guy who has some 81s. I've got some other projects on the boil, so we shall see.
Moon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.