Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my grandpa (dad's side) died at age 94. The reason I post that here is to write about his accomplishments during the darkest times in recent history, WW-2. I'm from Holland and my grandpa was a merchant sailor when the Germans invaded Holland in '40. He happened to be in London at the time and was immediately drafted into the Merchant Navy. For the next 5 and a half year he sailed the world's oceans bringing supplies from the US to England, Russia and elsewhere. He was there when troops were landed in the Soft Underbelly, South of France. His ship got torpedoed in the Caribean (only heard about that one the other day) and another ship sunk in the North Sea but I'm not sure of what cause.

The stress of constant threat from U-Boat Wolf Packs left deep scars, both physically (ulcer) and mentally (Post Traumatic Stress). When he came home after the war he hadn't seen his wife and two sons for over 5 years. Because of what he went through he decided he would never have a boss again and started his own construction company.

I'll always remember him as the grandpa that loved the sea (he lived in Zandvoort, a resort town on the North Sea shore) and who built me a sail boat from scratch. He also built a boat for himself and when the sea was calm we'd go sailing. We'd go shrimp fishing (wading in the surf while pulling a net) and I'd get to sort the shrimp from the fish.

He'll be buried with his Merchant Navy blazer and tie and his medals on his chest.

I'll miss him. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
471 Posts
He will live forever through you and your wonderful memories of him.

Blessings to you and your family.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Good to hear his story.

You were lucky to have him and he was lucky to have you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts