Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, i'm going to be buying my first pistol pretty soon here, probably by the end of the week. I've always loved guns, don't know why.. especially hand guns i've just never actually owned one myself, last week i got an itch like enough was enough.. dont know why either, so i browsed around a little, i found a beretta 84B .380 for just under 400 bucks, looked around a little more, and what do you know i find an p22 target model(what i ASSUME is one of the original p22 gens anyway), for only 269$ at a store near me. The guy really didn't know anything about it (or atleast he claimed to not know) he said he had it for a few weeks.

https://s.yimg.com/aah/yhst-51414757268013/walther-p22-22-two-mags-and-original-case-3.gif

this is the actual gun in question, now for being a target model i realize the value of it being such a low cost, but i also know all of the trials and tribulations the first gen p22's faced, especially with it being older although in good shape from what i saw and felt holding it i will question it's reliability even more. Sucks, because i actually like these older ones look better, the white P22 etching, and the grip design, and the slide grip, although i've never held the QD.

so my question is this, should i take a chance? or should i just go get a QD from budsgunstore for 240$ brand new.

thank you for your time.

i'm also considering that maybe it will function greatly BECAUSE it's been so used before and broken in, i also know about the recommend HV ammo, a few things worry me like.. i kinda want that beefier slide on the QD

i'm quickly finding out how tedious i am when it comes to firearms purchasing.. but it is so tempting to go get this older one from the store, its literally a 15 minute background check, and me walking out the door a happy customer.

i realize it's "only" a .22 and i shouldn't be so picky, but i cant help it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can't help you too much but you can date the year of manufacture by looking at the barrel in the ejection port. The last two letters after the different marks date the pistol.

Go here for the year the letters mean. My P22 QD has the letters "BJ". That says it is a 2018 model. Keep in mind that the Walther Warranty covers the pistol new or used. If you do purchase the used target model, it is covered by the Warranty. A new P22 QD Target goes for about $349.00 give or take.

https://www.waltherarms.com/walther-support/training/manufacturing-date-for-your-gun/#

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't help you too much but you can date the year of manufacture by looking at the barrel in the ejection port. The last two letters after the different marks date the pistol.

Go here for the year the letters mean. My P22 QD has the letters "BJ". That says it is a 2018 model. Keep in mind that the Walther Warranty covers the pistol new or used. If you do purchase the used target model, it is covered by the Warranty. A new P22 QD Target goes for about $349.00 give or take.

https://www.waltherarms.com/walther-support/training/manufacturing-date-for-your-gun/#

thank you much... knowing that i could send it in no matter what does make me a bit less worried about the buy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Go to Waltherarms.com and the warranty is listed at the bottom of the page. You can confirm the warranty there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
edit: alright, 99% sure i'm going to get the target model they have at the store, it's just something i want and the fact that it's discontinued makes me think its take this chance or nothing. What changed my mind is, i was reading and turns out that it CAN cycle subsonic rounds eventually but if they've not been fired much it'll only work with HV, not all guns are the same so maybe i will get lucky and not be getting a dud, i.e some people cant get theirs to cycle anything, some people have had 0 problems after 1000s of rounds. It's worth the chance for me, i like that vintage slide.

if anyone happens to come across a 3.4" barrel i'm interested, will trade/buy but i will wait till i have it in my hands to make sure the models are correct.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
was browsing some youtube videos, and came across a comment

"
John Huber
2 years ago
I've got one of the first ones that came out and never had any issues with it to date (2016). I got the combo that came with both barrels and laser sights that only a few were sold. Have had thousands of rounds through it without any problems. Maybe you need to take better care of your sh!t.

ReadBetweenDaLines
1 year ago
John Huber the original p22s were made in Germany, it should say it on the side of your gun. Those are great guns. unfortunately the newer ones are made by uramex and are a pos"

the amount of internet myths about this weapon is beyond insane

blah now i'm worried about the Zinc, i'm thinking if i buy this thing i'm not going to shoot it until i can put a normal barrel on it, it's either that or buy the MP 22 compact they have for 299.

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
He is wrong. Umarex purchased Walther Arms some years ago. All P22s are engineered and designed by Umarex and all are produced in Arnsberg, Germany. The top of the line self defense Walther firearms are manufactured in Ulm. PPQ, P99, PPS, etc.

There is not much difference between the very first P22 and the latest. Yepper, some things have been refined a bit, the slide strengthened when the overall design of the pistol went from the early P99 look ( the one you pictured) to the 2011 PPQ look. All have a cast zinc slide and frame halves. Other than some small changes...dropped the trigger lock, added a small block to help hold the slide stop arm spring more securely and with the 2018 QD pistol they installed a captive spring and decocking lever actuated by the safety lever. In about 2007 the extractor and hammer face were changed just a bit.

All P22s have the same slide, grip and internals. The 5" barrel version consists of a longer barrel, a longer barrel sleeve and a so called stabilizer to hide the naked barrel on the end. Oh yeah, before I forget....all dealers will drop their price. You can purchase a brand new short barrel QD model from KY Gun Co for $225. But, the target barrel pistol was always more expensive. Can you get a 5" barrel, sleeve and stabilizer for a new pistol? Yepper, Call Ft Smith. Probably about $100.

The date code is not on the slide...it is printed on the right side of the frame boss as viewed through the ejection port. Post the two letter code and we will know the year. The pistol looks in good shape but since you can get the latest with the short barrel for $225....I'd get that or bargain. P22s don't have a stellar reputation....although we can go a long way toward making one run 100% and they do have a lifetime warranty. The 5" is more accurate, good for 5/8" five round groups at 25m or 82' from a mechanical rest. More accurate than most of us can shoot off hand. 1917

Photo showing location of date code. Slide and grips removed.

5" Q model. Note the abundance of slots on the rail. A number of aftermarket products would not fit the original pistol that had only one slide. Not that I hang anything on one to begin with. All Q models have the slightly reinforced and thicker slides not just the QD. Other than a large hole in the muzzle end for the captive guide rod all Q slides are the same and if you drill out the guide rod hole to 1/4" the captive recoil spring assembly fits fine. The old one will no longer work though.

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
You should check the hammer face and trigger bar ears to make sure no one has messed them up trying to do some of the mods. Walther doesn't like that. Too much material off the hammer face and the pistol won't reliably cock and the hammer can follow the slide forward. Properly done....re-profiling the hammer face and the front edge of the trigger bar ears improves things. Properly done. If you get serious about this gun, check those two things out. Any questions, I have pictures of everything...old to new P22s. 1917

·
Registered
9,834 Posts

These are the rare ones. I think I'm the only one with this model. 5" barrel with no stabilizer....built in suppression, adjustable trigger pull, twin turbo stabilization, roller bearing breech carrier, 30 round triple stack mags, self cleaning and lubing. Guaranteed bug hole groups at 400 miles..I mean yards. 1917

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The date code is not on the slide...it is printed on the right side of the frame boss as viewed through the ejection port. Post the two letter code and we will know the year.

Photo showing location of date code. Slide and grips removed.

i'll go up there today and see if i can get the date code off of it after work, and check the hammer/thing it gets stuck on

but yeah i'm still debating, new QD versus that one, or the mp compact

thank you^^ and wow. I really like that "rare" one lol
Didn't get to go, they close at 7 I just got off work

it's friday buying day ;o3

i chickened out, damnit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Better to buy a new QD model, I did, for $225. I added a volquartzen extractor, and found a P22Q 5" target barrel and compensator online for $139. Two extra magazines for $39, and I'm set....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Better to buy a new QD model, I did, for $225. I added a volquartzen extractor, and found a P22Q 5" target barrel and compensator online for $139. Two extra magazines for $39, and I'm set....

where'd you find that? Lowest i can find is 239$

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
KyGunCo had had them for $ 225 for the past several months but they are apparently out now. They will be back. $ 225 or $239...I wouldn't worry about a few dollars. What's that....one fast food joint meal.

The 5" pistol is more accurate but unless you are target shooting I don't think this is of much matter. Having to remove the stabilizer each time for field stripping kinda offsets the benefit of the better accuracy. If you are plinking and not competing the 3.4" is the way to go. The 5" is a little bit less ammo picky also due to the longer barrel....but with the proper ammo the 3.4 will run 100%. 1917

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
KyGunCo had had them for $ 225 for the past several months but they are apparently out now. They will be back. $ 225 or $239...I wouldn't worry about a few dollars. What's that....one fast food joint meal.

The 5" pistol is more accurate but unless you are target shooting I don't think this is of much matter. Having to remove the stabilizer each time for field stripping kinda offsets the benefit of the better accuracy. If you are plinking and not competing the 3.4" is the way to go. The 5" is a little bit less ammo picky also due to the longer barrel....but with the proper ammo the 3.4 will run 100%. 1917
thats the plan, plus i'm hesitant about the 5" considering so many broken slides.

i also want to do what ever this guy

did in order to make it fire subsonic rounds without much issue, my uncle has a lot of land - but still doesn't like the noise from normal rounds, he only shoots subsonic there.. would make it convenient and could shoot almost every day if i wanted to without spending 5-15 dollars an hour at a range.

thank you all for the help

Off topic I suppose, but I have a question.. Have any of you owned/shot the sw mp compact 22? I've watched a few comparison videos, read a bunch here and there, but I'm wondering about all of your personal experience, its almost crunch time.. Gonna be ordering the qd tomorrow probably, military green bottom black slide 239$ works out to about 288$ after transfer fee and taxes. I've held both weapons, well the original fullsize z22 and a shield, I def like the feel of the p22 better in my hand

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
I got one a year or so ago. Got rid of it. Why? Because it couldn't do any better than 9" groups at 21'. A P22 will put them all in the same hole at that distance. The barrel was terrible. Smith replaced it twice and both new barrels were worse than the previous one. I don't know if they have that straightened out yet or not. Mine had a threaded barrel. The hammer is internal...I prefer an exposed hammer for manual cocking/decocking. The slide is 29% lighter than the P22, is aluminum and cycled everything. But, it would not shoot straight, wasn't even plinker grade. That was my experience. There is a thread way back on barrel problems with the Smith pistols.

You will likely have cycling trouble firing those subsonics...subsonic means they are low velocity and these short barrel, full slide, semi autos require high velocity. The 5" barrel will cycle them better than the 3.4" barrel. The Smith better than the heavier slide P22. What you need is a suppressor. That takes 9 months but those subsonics would be really quiet out of either barrel length. I finally got mine the other day. Mini mags are still pretty loud. Subsonics and CCI Quiet are quiet...but the cost for that is less blow back pressure which is what makes the P22, Smith and Ruger SR22 work.

A .22 rifle isn't very loud but these short barrel .22 pistols are way, way above permanent ear damaging loud. 160+ db which is just as loud as large center fire pistol and rifle rounds. Always and I mean always wear good ear protection when firing any pistol. Eye protection too. 1917

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
There are no taxes paid if you order on-line from shops like Ky Gun Co. and shipping is free, but you will have to pay your local FFL $20 or so for the paperwork. Find a small shop....the large ones want $100 here and basically that means they want you purchasing from them...not on line. One day this paying no tax is going to be eliminated. It already is on some items. My opinion is that it really isn't fair to brick and mortar shops but if I can save $100,,,,I'm guilty too. 1917

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
That's Richard Beck in the video.....I have to laugh....he has taken a lot of my information and presented it as his own...even criticized some of my work....:p It's the internet....he is a Member here I think or once was. What you get on the internet is worth what you pay for it....including my stuff. Shooting will teach you a lot regarding ammo likes and dislikes. I'd recommend starting with a 50 round box when you start experimenting with ammo to see if it works in your pistol. This goes for about all .22 firearms. 1917

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all that, sucks dude ripped off your work without giving credit where credit is due, like you said its the internet though at least you help people. So that puts a nail in the coffin for me anyway about wanting the 22 compact, I'll be getting the qd and making it my hobby. On budsgunshop.com its 239 then a 3 dollar shipping to Michigan fee, then a 7 dollar no cash discount thing. Then I went to this little gunsmith yesterday and their transfer fee is only 15 bucks but have to pay a 6% Michigan sales tax, I think

1 - 20 of 22 Posts