Walther Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
Ohhhh, let's see.....where do I start? I've built a couple of shooting rest. First one was for pistols only....worked like a champ....I actually left that one at the range, as I got tired of carrying it back and forth. I told them they could use it, or let other people use it. When I go to the range, its obvious the rest is getting plenty of use. This rest sits on top of the shooting table/bench, which puts the pistol at chest/shoulder level. The top of the rest is flat and approximately 12" wide by 16" long.....giving you a place to lay/rest your forearms. I don't have any pictures, as its not here. :D

Some time later, I decided I needed a rest to use for rifles....specifically rifles with a long a$$ magazine. And, I wanted to be able to use this rest for rifles or pistols....meaning it needed to be adjustable.

Below is what I came up with. The front is 'vertically' adjustable. The support for the rear is adjustable vertically as well as forward/rearward. For pistols, I slide the sled forward and adjust the vertical pistol grip rest on the sled to allow plenty of room to get a normal grip on the pistol with my strong hand. It DOES get a little cramped when you start trying to use a normal two handed, thumbs forward grip...so you'll have to compromise a little....get a good firm grip with your strong hand and apply you support hand where/how you can....again, it may be a little cramped....kinda depends on how long your barrel/dustcover is...longer is better, allowing more room. Experimentation is the key....find what works for you and/or your combination...short barrel, long barrel, tac light, etc.

A while back, I was using this rest for a pistol....and YES, it was a little cramped, but I just wedged my support hand in there and squeezed off a round. The Boom seemed louder than normal, and the recoil also seem way more than usual. I immediately looked over my shoulder at the range officer and his head was still down...okay...didn't alert him. Since I only loaded three rounds (2 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber) I dropped the magazine and check....it was empty...I checked the chamber and had a round chambered. OOPS, I just had a 'bump fire'. Soooooo, be careful trying to wedge your hand/fingers in there....

I've used this rest for rifles (AR's) as well as pistols....I'm pleased with the way it performs....specifically the adjustability.

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
As for the butt of the pistol, resting on the 'rest'. Why not cut a wedge of wood/plastic/something (matching angle created between the bottom of the magazine and the rest) and glue a piece of something (rubber/carpet...etc.) on the top of the wedge...rest the butt of the pistol on the wedge.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.