Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took a long time, but it was worth the wait. The pistol (a Q4) was a long time coming and, in the meantime, one of the short-listed optics came up on special offer, so I promptly ordered it. The Delta Point Pro then sat idly on my desk for a while, looking reproachfully at its owner and longing for a pistol - any pistol - to be screwed onto the bottom of it.

While I was still waiting for the Q4 to arrive, Walter introduced the new aluminium mounting plates and I was able to change the existing order of two steel plates for the new alu ones.

Eventually the pistol arrived, but with only one mounting plate - and it wasn't the Leupold one. I practised in the meantime with the pistol using the standard LPA sights while I waited and waited and waited until I couldn't wait any longer. The mounting plate which I received with the pistol was the Docter norm and since the new Docter/Noblex Sight G red dot continues to be vapourware, I went ahead and ordered a Vortex Venom with the large dot (6 MOA).

I sighted it in at home using a bore sighter and dry-firing with a laser training system before taking it to the range.

I already have a PPQ Classic and the new pistol is identical to it except for the sights. What a difference though, with the red dot sight! The groups tightened up immediately - a huge improvement over the Three Dog Nights.

Here are a couple of targets I brought home: #1 was 10 rounds Fiocchi 123gr and #2 with 20 rounds Geco 124gr. Both targets at 10 meters freehand. They won't qualify me for the Olympics, but they're not too shabby!

I'm completely sold on these red dots!

Balor

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shoot it off a rest at 25 yards, to see what the gun is truly capable of.
The pistol/optic combination already exceeds my own expectations with regard to accuracy, especially considering it is a light plastic-framed pistol with a 4" barrel and was never intended as a target pistol (the factory test-firing is done at 15 meters).

I would be curious to try it out at 25 meters with the frame rested, but the 6 MOA dot is a bit big for precision at that distance. The Delta Point Pro, which I already have, has a 2.5 MOA dot and would be better at that range - but I'm still waiting for the mounting plate to arrive!

Balor

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
As eyes age technology can help extend the time we can appreciate our hobby. I mostly do bullseye rimfire shooting and have been a fan of unmagnified red dot optics for some time. My current choice is one of the Umarex/Walther red-headed step-children. The optic is a Millet 3 MOA.

I also use red dots on both my AR15 and AK74.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A few questions to those who regularly shoot their pistols from a rest:

Do you rest only the dust cover in the fork, or do you also rest the butt on the hand-rest (in which case only the front of the butt/front lip of the magazine makes contact with the hand-rest)? If the latter, do you use an additional wedge to fill the “air wedge” thus created? Is it better to rest the pistol butt or your hand on the hard surface or to place a sand bag/bean bag, etc. under your hand/wrist?

When using either method, do you make any changes to the grip of your support hand (compared to how you would normally hold when shooting freehand)? It's interesting to note that, in the Walther factory video, the test shooter uses a very unorthodox grip (thumb over thumb) with his support hand (05:29):

I am thinking of ordering the linked shooting rest and what I meant by “air wedge” can be seen in the last-but-one picture of the string. In the eighth picture (showing a revolver, where the shooter is also holding thumb over thumb) it's difficult to say if the butt or the hand only is on the hand rest:

https://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/shooting-rests-k-zone-ksr.php

Balor

·
Premium Member
13,869 Posts
Ohhhh, let's see.....where do I start? I've built a couple of shooting rest. First one was for pistols only....worked like a champ....I actually left that one at the range, as I got tired of carrying it back and forth. I told them they could use it, or let other people use it. When I go to the range, its obvious the rest is getting plenty of use. This rest sits on top of the shooting table/bench, which puts the pistol at chest/shoulder level. The top of the rest is flat and approximately 12" wide by 16" long.....giving you a place to lay/rest your forearms. I don't have any pictures, as its not here. :D

Some time later, I decided I needed a rest to use for rifles....specifically rifles with a long a$$ magazine. And, I wanted to be able to use this rest for rifles or pistols....meaning it needed to be adjustable.

Below is what I came up with. The front is 'vertically' adjustable. The support for the rear is adjustable vertically as well as forward/rearward. For pistols, I slide the sled forward and adjust the vertical pistol grip rest on the sled to allow plenty of room to get a normal grip on the pistol with my strong hand. It DOES get a little cramped when you start trying to use a normal two handed, thumbs forward grip...so you'll have to compromise a little....get a good firm grip with your strong hand and apply you support hand where/how you can....again, it may be a little cramped....kinda depends on how long your barrel/dustcover is...longer is better, allowing more room. Experimentation is the key....find what works for you and/or your combination...short barrel, long barrel, tac light, etc.

A while back, I was using this rest for a pistol....and YES, it was a little cramped, but I just wedged my support hand in there and squeezed off a round. The Boom seemed louder than normal, and the recoil also seem way more than usual. I immediately looked over my shoulder at the range officer and his head was still down...okay...didn't alert him. Since I only loaded three rounds (2 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber) I dropped the magazine and check....it was empty...I checked the chamber and had a round chambered. OOPS, I just had a 'bump fire'. Soooooo, be careful trying to wedge your hand/fingers in there....

I've used this rest for rifles (AR's) as well as pistols....I'm pleased with the way it performs....specifically the adjustability.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Old Fart: Thank you for the very detailed answer. That's a nice bit of handwork! I'm pretty sure my own handworking skills wouldn't extend to making a pistol/rifle rest as good as yours, which is why I'm interested in the commercial one.

Regarding the support hand grip, I'll just have to experiment and see what works best. The thumb over thumb grip is discouraged by the instructors who I go to - they jump on it immediately if they see any students holding a pistol that way. On the other hand, many revolver shooters shoot with astonishing accuracy using that grip, so it can't be all bad.

The test-shooter in the video, by his own admission, works an eight hour shift, pausing only for lunch and coffee breaks. That's more shooting in one day than many shooters would do in a whole year, so he obviously knows a thing or two about shooting from a rest. If the thumb over thumb grip works for him in that situation, then maybe it could work for the rest of us mere mortals as well.

I have a pistol similar to the 1911 model shown on the K-Zone website - similar in that the lip of the magazine protrudes quite far forward and is narrow (single row magazine) and rounded. Placing that directly on the hand rest would probably not make for a stable hold, hence my question if the butt of the pistol, or the hand only, should be resting on the hard plastic hand rest.

Balor

·
Premium Member
13,869 Posts
As for the butt of the pistol, resting on the 'rest'. Why not cut a wedge of wood/plastic/something (matching angle created between the bottom of the magazine and the rest) and glue a piece of something (rubber/carpet...etc.) on the top of the wedge...rest the butt of the pistol on the wedge.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's exactly what I thought of doing, but I was wondering if others do the same, or avoid direct contact between the pistol butt and the hand rest (i.e. hand rest literally as a “hand rest” only and not to rest the pistol on).

Balor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts