Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took in this stray from a pawn broker. It's an early 70s Ulm build and is in a lot better shape than the photo gives credit. Just really dirty like no one ever took care of it. Once cleaned up, she began to shine again.

Question: did some of the PPK/S guns come with Pachmeyer grips as an option?

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
As far as I know, none ever came that way. Pachmayr has supplied grips to other makers, but most I have seen had the logo of the gun company molded into the grip.

The first thing I would do is take those off and get some original grips. Those are notorious for causing problems.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
You can save yourself a lot of trouble, take those Pachmayrs off and toss'em! A nice set of Nill grips or even factory plastic would be a major improvement.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MoonWolf / 153: Yeah already done that. That photo is her rescue day. I'm saving it in a scrap book for when she gets older. LOL.. :D My hands were black when I got done cleaning her up. I may even take her to my LGS for a bath.. it was criminal how neglected that gun was. I had a pair of original plastics in the safe that I put on it. I had to just about pry the pach's off the frame. It was like they were degraded and rotting. I'll take more photos one of these days and post to this thread. Night and day..

BTW, what problems did the pachmeyers cause? Interfered with hammer spring?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The biggest problems Pachmeyers caused with all pistols and revolvers was that they trapped moisture and grit underneath the rubber grips causing serious rusting leading to pitting.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Question: did some of the PPK/S guns come with Pachmeyer grips as an option?
I bought a PPK/S LNIB with all the paperwork and the gun had the same pachys on it. Of course I can't say for sure if they came on the gun but they were quite a popular add on as folks were trying to mitigate the recoil.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jimbo/Badge: the pachs were/are definitely heavy so I can see how they might help to dampen recoil. The fuller grip and fairly aggressive texture would help in handling but when I pried them off the gun, I saw what Badge was talking about. Pitting was developing and the beginning of rust on the frame underneath.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
...when I pried them off the gun, I saw what Badge was talking about. Pitting was developing and the beginning of rust on the frame underneath.
Routine maintenance or a coat of wax on the frame would adequately deal with that problem. The difficulty with Pachmayrs on Walther PP-series pistols is that shooters with strong hands squeeze the grips hard enough to deform the soft sheet metal inserts. When the sides collapse, they interfere with free movement of the trigger/sear linkage and cocking piece.

Many other pistols don't have this problem with Pachmayrs, but PP-series Walthers do. Throw them away.

M

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many other pistols don't have this problem with Pachmayrs, but PP-series Walthers do. Throw them away. M
Thank Mike. Will do and they’re gone. Appreciate!

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
And the Pachs are fugly, too....
Wear a bicycle glove to mitigate the snap in the .380.
Looks like a great shooter; nice catch.
Moon

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok here’s the photo shoot. Talk about a little diamond in the rough...

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
One more... cant believe it’s the same gun. Took it to the range and put 50 rounds through it. Flawless shooter. I’m going to see if I can try to clean up the barrel breech a little more from some of the discoloration from the neglect. Advice is welcomed.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts