Walther Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another point-shooting lesson
Sharpen your skills

I thought I would describe another point shooting lesson that I use at the indoor range to sharpen students skills.

This technique is valuable in that it teaches the new student several skills at one time.
1. When to engage a target
2. Adjusting to continuously changing sight pictures
3. Shooting pace establishment
4. Multi-target engagements

The most important requirement for this lesson is to have access to an Indoor Range that has a continuous ?hot? firing line ??.. and uses motors and guide wire system to move targets out beyond the firing line. Next you will need a buddy that is willing to ?move? the targets as you are firing.

Materials:

Large poster Board [ paper ] OR man-sized silhouette targets
Paper plates [ Cheap ] 100 to a pack 9 inch size
Duct tape ? one roll

SET_UP:

Place the large poster board on the Target carrier -- or you can turn the silhouette target backwards so the clean white backside is visible.
Next you will roll a small piece of duct tape to make a double-sided piece of tape.
Use this to secure 3 Plates to the poster board. Spread them apart as much as you can AND during the lesson you will change their positions often ! Make as many different patterns as you can think of when placing the plates onto the poster board. NOW send the target as far down the range as it will travel ??? and stop.

TASK:

The target will begin to move [controlled by a friend ] towards the shooter at a constant pace. At this time the shooter will grab his weapon and load in a magazine and prepare to fire. It will be up to the shooter to decide when to fire the first shot BUT ?. This is KEY ??. His first shot MUST hit a paper plate. IF a FIRST SHOT miss occurs ?? the exercise stops ?? and everything is RESET. The shooter?s task is to hit all 3 paper plates 2 times each. He can select any order in which to engage the targets ???. The targets are always on the move and only come to a stop when all 3 plates are hit 2 times each OR they breach the NO-FIRE zone of the range. At our range, that is anything closer than 10 feet to the shooting benches.

What is accomplished : The shooter learns his own limitations and skill level about how close a target needs to be to insure a first strike HIT. He learns that as the targets get closer to his position ??he can speed up his shooting pace and still secure HITS. Each student is different ??? some students are able to achieve first HITS from a good distance and therefore have more time to engage the 3 targets. Sight pictures are constantly changing ??? therefore a good point shooting technique will help where standard sight pictures [using your sights ] are not feasible. This exercise is fun and FAST paced ???.. and an excellent form used to create competition amongst shooters. You can use over all times OR the remaining distance the target stops from the shooter ?.. as a gauge.

Changing the paper plates are a breeze ??? duct tape is a great man-tool ! I use ?colored? poster board to add great contrast to the white paper plates.

Have fun ???and sharpen those close combat skills. Fast pace shooting should become second nature ??..and just might save you life one day. It works best if the motor control moves the targets at a brisk pace.

Lets us know how this lesson works for you. I use it all the time, after point shooting techniques have been taught and practiced.

JF.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Pssst......(whispering) hey, you.....add "excersize this technic with your Walther P99" so you'll meet the criteria of this specific forum.

Thank you for the advice on further training our skills. Now to find a range that will tolerate two people, one being the shooter the other being the assistant, within one shooting station

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
add "excersize this technic with your Walther P99" so you'll meet the criteria of this specific forum.
Point taken ........

Now to find a range that will tolerate two people, one being the shooter the other being the assistant, within one shooting station
Don't they all ????? My Range actually allows 3 people per stall !!! They may then share the range fees. In any event ......... very few stalls at my range contain only one shooter ......most if not all contain 2

You must have a very strick Range ?

JF.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Now to find a range that will tolerate two people, one being the shooter the other being the assistant, within one shooting station
Find a range that has the Mancom programmable target system.

The range near me uses them. You key in a starting distance, direction of travel, pause times, and you can even have them turn 360 degrees, great for training on moving targets and such. Just program it and push the "Go" button. Everything you programmed happens automatically.

One guy by himself can get a lot done with this setup.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I really like this lesson.....I like it alot...
thanks alot for the nice write up

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wow! Programable target tracks?! Now that's nice! Nope, unfortunatly I haven't located a range near by with that capabilities.

And for the range being strick, yeah....well.....to be honest I'm not exactly sure if they will allow it or not, just common sense assumption on my part being that the target switch is immediatly to the left of the shooter. To have an assistant activating that switch would mean they would have to stand sideways and reaching next to the shooter while the shooter is discharging a firearm. Each stall is allowed more than one participant and may split the bill, I just assumed all cannot be immideatly within the "hot zone" Looks like horseplay to me when one is so close to a shooter fiddling around. But eh, what do I know, I may ask about the allowence of such training is permitted.

I just reread what I've said and was quoted on it....."shooting station" sounds like the stall as a whole. Sorry, I meant something more along the lines of "hot zone"?(not sure what its called really)

I have no affiliations with them and yet to see it myself, but there is a place in tulsa-oklahoma that is something like 91 square miles of shooters heaven. "Wow! Programable target tracks?! Now that's nice! Nope, unfortunatly I haven't located a range near by with that capabilities.

And for the range being strick, yeah....well.....to be honest I'm not exactly sure if they will allow it or not, just common sense assumption on my part being that the target switch is immediatly to the left of the shooter. To have an assistant activating that switch would mean they would have to stand sideways and reaching next to the shooter while the shooter is discharging a firearm. Each stall is allowed more than one participant and may split the bill, I just assumed all cannot be immideatly within the "hot zone" Looks like horseplay to me when one is so close to a shooter fiddling around. But eh, what do I know, I may ask about the allowence of such training is permitted.

I just reread what I've said and was quoted on it....."shooting station" sounds like the stall as a whole. Sorry, I meant something more along the lines of "hot zone"?(not sure what its called really)

I have no affiliations with them and yet to see it myself, but there is a place in tulsa-oklahoma that is something like 91 square miles of shooters heaven. "Wow! Programable target tracks?! Now that's nice! Nope, unfortunatly I haven't located a range near by with that capabilities.

I have no affiliations with them and yet to see it myself, but there is a place in tulsa-oklahoma that is something like 91 square miles of shooters heaven. Wow! Programable target tracks?! Now that's nice! Nope, unfortunatly I haven't located a range near by with that capabilities.

I have no affiliations with them and yet to see it myself, but there is a place in tulsa-oklahoma that is something like 91 square miles of shooters heaven. Wow! Programable target tracks?! Now that's nice! Nope, unfortunatly I haven't located a range near by with that capabilities.

I have no affiliations with them and yet to see it myself, but there is a place in tulsa-oklahoma that is something like 91 square miles of shooters heaven. "http://www.usshootingacademy.com/index.html" check out the videos. This would be a great place to try any and all training techs

·
Registered
858 Posts
nice,i like it,wish i could find a range i could do that with someone though. the ones around here are pretty strict.they sometimes call to your attention if you are firing to quickly or doing double taps...sucks.:mad:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah, we are fortunate that this new range opened. They are state of the art for an indoor range compared to what I am used to. They allow rapid fire (even have a couple of class III guns you can rent).

They also have an underground 100 yard indoor rifle range with the same programmable target tracks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes, I'm a downstater.

Pop Guns on the eastside of Indy has/had a version of the program targets too, but I don't know if their is as elaborate as the one down here. I do know they will advance and retreat, but don't know if they will rotate 360 degrees.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Batman45 ......brings up a good point that maybe I should have addressed, but left it in the column of SOP's............. and that is to always check with your range rules and in a case where you are doing something not commonly seen ....ask if it is allowable.

We all have to make do with what we have ............ and in my case, our range does not allow any Holster work (sigh) ...... so all lessons begin with grabbing the unloaded weapon from a bench and making it ready to fire. This is not always a bad motor memory skill to have "installed" .....as many might find this scenario more likely at HOME; than drawing a loaded weapon from a holster.
Many of my students are "Mothers" ......... that perfer NOT to have a loaded gun in the house around their children, but want the option of retrieving a weapon and making it ready to FIRE in the quickest amount of time. I have even gone as far as dropping their SIG P-226R in pieces on the bench in front of them and telling them to GO ......... fire on the target as fast as you can. I try not to argue with the mothers about the need for "Firearm Readiness" but train them the best I can under "THEIR" beliefs and desires.

Batman45's image of the two person lesson is accurate ........ I will stand to the side of the student and with one arm - reach along the control panel and activate the carrier switch. Anyone watching this lesson -- I don't think would walk away with the impression of "horse play".

It would be wise to check with Range personel that you are able to shoot at a moving target ............ and that combat type shooting [ rapid pace ] is permitted. I have two Indoor Ranges in my area .......... one will allow fast shooting and the other will not. At the Range that allows fast shooting -- more semi-professional shooters go there to practice their routines ....... so the Range IMHO is generally safer. The other range will fill up with paper punchers and novice shooters ........where speed is of no importance to them and you will often see ceiling tiles being hit and pieces raining to the floor. :eek:

I hope a few Walther members will try the lesson [ with their P-99 } and report back ......... there are many small but important techniques that you will sharpen with this exercise.
Maybe the most important -- is drawing the shooters eyes away from the pistol's sights and ONTO the threat [ shooter must be able to identify his/her hits to the plates ] "Recovery times & speed " become very important.

JF.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Very nicely explain sniper350.

Haha tile particals sprinkling the floor like snow, can't say I haven't seen that before. Wish I could say I haven't seen the shooting bench/table? at my range with bullet holes either.....scary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts