Walther Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying a P99 40S&W, however i have been having problems deciding on what trigger to get. This will be my first gun, so i am learning a lot by all my research. I am leaning towards the AS, but i am understanding there are no safes on this gun, is this true? That makes me feel uncomfortable and i was wondering if someone could please tell me what keeps this gun from it firing unintentionally. I thank you in advance for your input.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Keeping the finger off the trigger:p . Use the "search" function and type in QA or AS trigger, you will find a wealth of information that has been hashed out many times in the past.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The only safety when it comes to firearms is the person holding it. When i first started buying pistols this was one of my concerns also with pistols that had no safeties. But over the years i have trained my self to handle pistols in a safe manner, Because in my opinion you cant rely on manual safeties. There are certain feautures on the P99 that can help with safety, If your considering an AS the Anti stress mode can help with unintentional disharge while carrying.. The AS is a safe pistol in a safe persons hands.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The only safety when it comes to firearms is the person holding it. When i first started buying pistols this was one of my concerns also with pistols that had no safeties. But over the years i have trained my self to handle pistols in a safe manner, Because in my opinion you cant rely on manual safeties. There are certain feautures on the P99 that can help with safety, If your considering an AS the Anti stress mode can help with unintentional disharge while carrying.. The AS is a safe pistol in a safe persons hands.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
NONE of the P99 trigger versions have a traditional switch safety. Glocks, and many other guns do not either.

The 1st shot is DA on the A/S trigger - a heavier 1st shot. This is the "safety" - less likely to shoot the 1st shot accidentally.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
IMHO the only need for manual safeties are for duty carry, where there is always the fear of a gun grab from the perpatrator. This can give the officer the valuable second he needs to react while the bad guy tries to fire the gun with the safety on. For concealed carry, a gun grab is less likely if your firearm is properly concealed. Plus it takes you longer to get your gun into action since it is deep concealed, so a manual safety adds to your draw time.

You just need a good secure holster that covers the trigger.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The P99, PPS, and several other newer guns (Glocks, XDs, M&Ps) are all designed without external safeties. That does not mean that they do not have safeties at all though. In all of these cases, they have several internal safeties and are designed to do two things. First, they are designed so that they will not fire if you do not pull the trigger (whether you drop them, smack the gun, ...) and sencond, if you pull the trigger, they will fire everytime. That is why much of the advice you have been given is to not pull the trigger, it is the only way to fire the gun. Many of the older designs do not have features like this and could fire accidentily (though it was still very unlikely) so they would add an external safety. In my mind, I would rather have a gun that is always ready and always safe than one that is only protected form accidents while the external safety is on.

Just my two cents, if you decide that you want a gun with an external safety there are many fine options (Sigs and HKs come to mind).

Jeff

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
The P99, PPS, and several other newer guns (Glocks, XDs, M&Ps) are all designed without external safeties. That does not mean that they do not have safeties at all though. In all of these cases, they have several internal safeties and are designed to do two things. First, they are designed so that they will not fire if you do not pull the trigger (whether you drop them, smack the gun, ...) and sencond, if you pull the trigger, they will fire everytime. That is why much of the advice you have been given is to not pull the trigger, it is the only way to fire the gun. Many of the older designs do not have features like this and could fire accidentily (though it was still very unlikely) so they would add an external safety. In my mind, I would rather have a gun that is always ready and always safe than one that is only protected form accidents while the external safety is on.

Just my two cents, if you decide that you want a gun with an external safety there are many fine options (Sigs and HKs come to mind).

Jeff

Colt 1911s come to my mind!:)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Colt 1911s come to my mind!:)
Yes, and even a ppk with safety off can AD if dropped on the muzzle, because the firing pin is not locked unless the safety is engaged. It was wise for 1911's to add the firing pin safety on the series 80's. Have you heard the story of the cop with a 1911 getting an MRI, and when the magnet came on it sucked his gun in and at the same time the magnet disengaged the firing pin block and it discharged, damaging the MRI machine. No matter what you do, Murphy's law can bite you in the A$$.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.