Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Evening all!

Just joined the gun owners club after having been away for 20+ years. When the wife commented a few weeks back that she felt we should have a firearm in the house, and one for her to carry, who was I to argue? :p Plus, ownership is getting a little edgy these days with all the politics going around.

I had honestly really narrowed in on the Springfield collection for myself. The 5.25 Precision in fact. Wasn’t sure yet about her yet. I went to the local range (Texas, so there’s always one within about a 5 mile radius) and shot the XDM Elite in the 5.25 and really liked it. Shot a Glock and some M&P as well.

I was veering away from the long barrel and thinking I wanted something mid length. Then I decided to go with my instinct since I don’t plan to CC for a while. The XDM-E in 5.25 is really hard to find right now. While I wasn’t keen on the $250 up charge for the Walther PPQ Match, it was on my list of options. So, two trips later I came home with the Walther and some random brand ammo.

Unfortunately I couldn’t find a range with one to try so I had to buy it untested. Well, there’s always the 30 day money back. :)

Had the wife try and rack this one and yep, too much pull for her. Going to try and get her to pull the M&P Shield EZ. If that doesn’t work, we’re going to have to consider a smaller caliber.

Between my car forum, truck forum, and now a gun hobby, there go my evenings.

<eta> Notice you still get the foam cutouts for the optics mounts, but no mounts. :(

Obligatory gunshot:

·
Registered
138 Posts
You're going to love the Q5. It's ridiculously accurate. Just a great pistol.

I bought my dad a .380 EZ. He's 80 years old and has zero upper body strength left. He gave me all his beloved 1911s because he can no longer rack the slides. We've put about 1500 rounds through that EZ with none of the often reported malfunctions. Now he's looking at the EZ9. These guns are extremely easy to cycle. If your wife can't rack these she won't be able to rack any other semi auto and you should start looking at revolvers. Part of the reason they were having problems ( I believe) is because the recoil spring is so light. They appear to have worked the bugs out though because I know several guys who have the EZ9 and have had no issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're going to love the Q5. It's ridiculously accurate. Just a great pistol.

I bought my dad a .380 EZ. He's 80 years old and has zero upper body strength left. He gave me all his beloved 1911s because he can no longer rack the slides. We've put about 1500 rounds through that EZ with none of the often reported malfunctions. Now he's looking at the EZ9. These guns are extremely easy to cycle. If your wife can't rack these she won't be able to rack any other semi auto and you should start looking at revolvers. Part of the reason they were having problems ( I believe) is because the recoil spring is so light. They appear to have worked the bugs out though because I know several guys who have the EZ9 and have had no issues.
They had a 380EZ and it was definitely ‘EZ’ to rack. I’m guessing the 9mm will be just a bit harder, but possible for her. She could get the rack an inch or so back on the Q5, but not all the way. I’ve told her she needs to shoot a few different guns before we buy her one. She made the usual mistake of ‘just get me a small 9mm’. She doesn’t want to body carry, so we can stay with a small full frame or larger sub. Any experience with the CCP? That comes in a 380.

<eta> that must be rough to get to where you have to give up things you enjoyed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts