Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a Fort Smith stainless PPK/S .380 at local gun show this morning. Paid $699 plus tax. As far as i know this was the only one in St. Louis for sale right now.

Stopped by the gun range on my way home and thought I would give it a quick function test -- right out of the box with no lube. Make a long story short, it ran 100% with no malfunctions of any kind. it wasn't a torture test cause I had limited ammo with me. Here's what I put thru it:

100 WWB 95 FMJ
25 Hornady Critical Defense 90gr FTX
20 Barnes TAC-XPD 80gr.
14 Underwood 380+P 100gr. Lead Flat Nose

As for accuracy, it took me a while to get use to the VERY small sights. At first, my POI was a good 4" high at 7 yards. By really focusing and burying the front dot in the u notch I was able to cut that down to about 1 inch high. Call it a 6 o'clock hold. Once I got dialed in I was able to shoot groups I could cover with my fist.

Fit and finish was very good. I liked the trigger -- agree with all the previous comments about the double action. Empty magazines did not fall free, took a little shake. Not a big thing for me. I don't anticipate any tactical reloads anytime soon. I had no problems with either hammer or dovetail "bite".

Bottom line is I'm really pleased and somewhat surprised. I have always loved the PPK/S platform and I've had many iterations over the years: Interarms German, Interarms USA and S&W. None of them were reliable, always a disappointment. But, I'm encouraged by this new version. I know 160 rounds is not much of a test but I did try a lot of different kinds of 380 ammo. I hope to get to the range in the next week sometime for more extensive testing. If continues to prove reliable I will work it into my summer EDC rotation replacing my Sig P232.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
... cause I had limited ammo with me. Here's what I put thru it:

100 WWB 95 FMJ
25 Hornady Critical Defense 90gr FTX
20 Barnes TAC-XPD 80gr.
14 Underwood 380+P 100gr. Lead Flat Nose
LOL, that's a lot more than most people shoot their entire lives :D
And even more than most gun owners shoot all year.

As for accuracy, it took me a while to get use to the VERY small sights. At first, my POI was a good 4" high at 7 yards. By really focusing and burying the front dot in the u notch I was able to cut that down to about 1 inch high. Call it a 6 o'clock hold. Once I got dialed in I was able to shoot groups I could cover with my fist.
Good to hear. What grip were you using?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've been very lucky. I've never had a Walther, of any variant (ZM / Ulm / IA / S&W), that did not properly cycle because of its design. Never polished a feed ramp either. Some of my initial problems I had were on me: Limp wristing; not fully seating a mag when loading with the slide forward; bad ammo choices such as hollow points in pre-S&W pistols designed for FMJ.

·
Registered
592 Posts
But I've had to have Walthers repaired:
-- Lost the extractor on pre-war ZM .32 PPK, but I was shooting cheap alum cased ammo.
-- Hammer follow on a well worn Ulm .32 PP.
-- Decocking (after slide return) on a well worn IA .380 PPK/S.
-- Had a near mint .32 PPKS that came with the wrong ejector. (My source took it back in a trade for the same value i paid.)

These were issues with individual pistols and did not typify my experience with any one variant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts