Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone own the Picattiny adapter that has been discussed in the past.

Earlier today I spoke with Earl's and it was indicated that the Picattiny adapter was designed for the pellet gun and that use of the adapter would cause damage to my frame.

Just wondering how true this might be.

Also I'll know on Monday of a light that will fit the 'classic" rail from the 2003 models without need for an adapter. It won't be cheap, but it will fit. I might have a lead on them as a production item. Price will be around $200.00

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have a couple of the rail adapters from Walther. I've not mounted a M5 light on one, but have mounted an XML. I have not fired it with an XML attached. The M3 or M6 won't fit without the GG&G M5-M3 converter.

Ken Lunde knows of a police agency that tried them, and they were quite pleased with them. Didn't hear of any reports of them not being secure, nor of them causing rail damage.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also I'll know on Monday of a light that will fit the 'classic" rail from the 2003 models without need for an adapter. It won't be cheap, but it will fit. I might have a lead on them as a production item. Price will be around $200.00
If you checked the FAQ, you know that there has been a Laser Devices tactical light around for a while that fits the Pre-2004 P99 rails:
http://www.gunfaqs.org/P99FAQ/IX/13.html
I know for a fact that these can damage the rails of a P99. My Titanium P99 rails have been dinged from the recoil with this thing attached. I know I had it secure tightly. I know it was installed properly. But it still damaged the rails.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

I stil have a NIB Laser Devices Tactical light for the Pre-2004 P99s if anyone wants one. I'll take $125 shipped for it or trade for an M5 Light

Regards,
James

·
Registered
356 Posts
The gizmo that Earl sells, that puts a half-dozen or so Picatinny rails all over the muzzle of the P99, is known to cause damage to the P99 frame, as it was definitely designed for the C02 version of the P99. Here it is:

Maybe Earl was referring that that one.

The rail adapter that James illustrated above is made by Umarex, the parent company of Carl Walther, and because of this, they can use the Walther logo. I sent four of them to an LE agency in Florida, and they had no problems, and did extensive firing, with them attached to the pistol, and with lights (M5s) attached to them.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. It seems the only way to get the Umarex rail is to order from germany and chance ATF knocking on the door.

Any pics of the rail without a light attached ?

if it's narrow enough I might be able to still holster the gun without a light attached

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
There is nothing ILLEGAL about buying one of the rail adapters, or any other LEGAL accessory from overseas (http://www.kaehny.de/export/p99.htm), EXCEPT you must comply with the ATF regulations.

It is CLEARLY stated in the ATF Form 6, General Information Section 9, b that:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]b. Minor components and parts of Category I(a) firearms, except barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames) or complete breech mechanisms, when the total value does not exceed $100 wholesale in any single transaction. The $100 wholesale value supersedes the previous dollar threshold of $500 wholesale in any single transaction.
SO, there should be no issue whatsoever with buying a magazine, a Rail adapter, Euro sights or WHATEVER, as long as it is legal, and under $100 WHOLESALE value from Germany.

Read it yourself. And don't be ordering any replacement P99 frames

Regards,
James

·
Registered
141 Posts
IMO i dont liked that Walther have the S & W printed

i know that smith & Wess it distributes and reasembly slides but i think walther should be walther and to always maintain that image of the mark.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts