Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, pretty new to the forum (+/- a few days) and i was wondering if anyone carries their P99C in an ankle holster?

Because if work, concealability is key. I am thinking of also getting a Comp Tac IWB tuckable holster but i still think i'll get made with that option. I'm looking at the following (2) ankle holsters, anyone have experience with one or the other, or have one they would recommend? Thanks

http://www.desantisholster.com/062.html
http://elitesurvival.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ESSHATE&Product_Code=AAHS_Holster&Category_Code=E

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I've nevere seen anyone.

I have a friend who carried an AMT backup years ago - he is a statetrooper, and he did this in uniform. It was very easy to see something was on his ankle. After seeing that, I never bothered with an ankle holster. I don't find that it is very concealable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:confused: Hmmm. I usually wear baggy (and no not hanging off my rear baggy) pants so there is a bit more room around the ankle area.

Let me ask you this shipwreck, what are your thoughts on the comptac holster shown here: http://www.comp-tac.com/ct_ctac.html
you think (with a button down tucked in shirt that i'd be totally concealed and be able to move without someone picking it up? (like the grip protruding off my back, etc).

Thank for the help and feedback. I'd prefer to avoid loading up a draw full of holsters that i won't use (which is what i hear from many people in this community).

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I'm not a big inside the waist carrier - I used to be. But now I prefer a leather belt holster (w/ a large untucked shirt, it works) or my fav lately is pocket carry in my front pocket w/ my cargo pants. I really like this - much easier to draw if U needed the gun too...

U can fake going for your wallet if necessary as well..

There are some CTAC fans here, though - they'll have to tell ya about that....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not an expert, but have tried carrying with an ankle holster. Found it to be less than satisfactory. The gun got dirtier quicker, and I could never get the ankle holster to fit right,(either was to tight,or to lose). Also it's puts the gun in an awkward place if you ever have to draw. My opinion is a good belt holster, or a shoulder rig.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I am a fan of the P99c but I am not in favor of it for an ankle rig...I carried a .38 Colt Det. Spec. that way for a while but too heavy...same with the P99c...just not the best in my opinion. I now carry a Kel-Tec.380 in Condition 1(Yes I have switched...) and I carry my compact in a Fobus paddle. On and off really easy...I am going to get a Comp-Tac lockable paddle for my USPSA shooting and I think it will do just fine. I prefer the full size for IWB carry and the compact for my Fobus...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I used a Renegade ankle rig to carry a Smith and Wesson 640 for years while working in uniform. It worked well and after about two weeks it was unnoticeable.

Using the same maker, I carried a Glock 27 while undercover with the same results.

If you go this route, weekly cleaning for the pistol is critical. Detail it at least once a month, more frequently is better. If you are new to ankle holsters, wear the holster and pistol around the house to get used to it. You'll get used to it soon. For clothing, wear relaxed/loose fit jeans or if tailored dress clothes are preferred, seek the attentions of a tailor. Secret Service training covered how to conceal bulky weapons and they stressed that a tailor can cover up many things.

Whatever you select, practice and practice again. Be able to read circumstances before you need the weapon, due to the slower draw times and disadvantageous drawing positions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts