Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The title says everything...

But, at first, I would like to thank one member - Haveyg - who kindly made an offer for a P5C. We explored the ways to legally export this pistol to Switzerland and concluded that it would be very difficult if not impossible... Anyway, thank you very much Harveyg.

So I went my own way here in Switzerland. As I talk about my quest with my dealer/range-owner, he told me he had a Walther somewhere that a private person wanted to sell for a long time. After looking in the back of the showcases, he brought up a NIB, unfired P5, with the plastic box, second mag and manual.

The box still had the original price tag saying: "Walther P5, Nr. 2009x, 12/81, 1775 francs" (!). The owner wanted 1590 francs (!!) and I managed, after a couple of calls to drop it to 1200 francs (!!!, 900 $). Stiff, but P5 are rare here, even if you can find ex-police examples at 600-800 francs at gun shows. The smooth trigger and controls - nothing to do with my P38's - decided me.

So, on friday, I was the happy owner of P5 Nr. 2009x, made in "IB" (1981). I didn't shot it immediately as I wanted to lube it - it was bone dry with some factory grease in the ejection port.

Saturday was the big day: I bought 3 boxes of Sellier + Bellot 123 gr. FMJ, Fiocchi 124 gr. FMJ and MagTech 115 gr. FMJ (civilians are restricted to FMJ in Switzerland since an antidemocratic, infamous and stupid gov decision). I began with S + B: many failures with the first rounds of each mag: FTF, slide stays open. No problems with Fiocchi and MagTech which are much stronger. I feel S + B are wimpy for that new, tight ajusted gun. I'll test it again after the break-in period.

I saw also that the "hook" of the slide block goes very deep in the mag channel - probably the reason for the premature stay-open with fat S + B rounds. If necessary, I will file it some.

I made some precision shooting at 25 meters - 1 DA + 2 SA: best result with Fiocchi about 8 cm (3-4 inches). And defensive drills at 10 meters - double taps DA-SA - and obtained similar results. The smooth and progressive DA helps a lot: I feel the unique firing pin safety contributes to that velvet feel.

In short, I'm very happy with the P5: good gun, original look, very high degree of finish. A technical must that doesn't share so much with the old P38 as so often written.

Bye

·
Registered
157 Posts
Congrats on your new acquistion.

Good shooting.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Wonderful, Laurent! Congratulations.

Forget about the S&B. Very lax quality control. Especially with OAL. May I suggest Geco or Hirtenberger? And a change to x-power rec springs.

Now, no more thinking about Glocks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Where can you get X-power springs?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Laurent - Many Congratulations on your new P5! I almost bought one this weekend as well but somehow I restrained myself as I really want a P5c first. May you have many years of enjoyment and stimulation!!!

Cigarman - Extra power springs can be had at Wolff Gunsprings HERE.
I use both + power recoil and mag springs in my P7s to handle the +p defensive loads.

b-

·
Registered
735 Posts
And there is no urgent need to change the mag springs along with the x-power rec springs as the site that BHP linked recommends. If your mag springs are working fine, let them be. I didn't change my mag springs when I went to x-power rec springs. Working just fine.

Btw, mine feeds Geco FMJ, NGA Sentry and RBCD. Depending on what I had for breakfast.

·
Registered
88 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jehzsa @ Feb. 09 2005,9:28)]... there is no urgent need to change the mag springs along with the x-power rec springs ....
For my P7s it's not only recommended but necessary to do both at the same time so that everything can work in tandem with high pressure rounds - My understanding is since the slide is moving faster the need to get the next round up & in place should be as well. The only time I've ever had a failure to feed (everytime) was with the sole mag I didn't change the spring in. YMMV
 This has been my experience only with the P7M8s FWIW - Jehzsa is On Topic sharing his P5 experiences which I greatly appreciate, respect, & note.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Oh yes! It's amazing what a difference a fraction of a second can make. From a perfectly functional action to a run-of-the-mill jam-o-matic.

Considering that failures-to-feed are usually related to mag problems and that every handgun has its own quirks and nuances, any change made has to be tested for function. As if your life depended on it. (Hmm...where did I hear that before?)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the nice words and advices,

I didn't find time to go back to the range yet, so I content with dry firing and cuddling my P5. The more I handle it the more I like it!

Especially:

- the wide sights, with "square-dot" marks

- the serrated band on the slide

- the double function lever

- the barrel that protrudes from the slide - an wise way to gain some mm. without adding much to the pratical size of the weapon (Beretta discovered it)

- the bobbed hammer

- the nice dissassembly lever

- the low position on the hand

- the smooth trigger, due to the pin safety that doesn't interfere much on the pull

- the locking block system

- the look of the pistol: kind of modern, muscle PP

I can live with:

- the heel grip mag catch, as it is "streamlined" in the grips and very smooth

- the shiny plastic grips that look cheap by 2005 standards. I will probably go with Nill and tapper them at the bottom, as on the P5C SF

- the wide slide. As it is rounded at the top and tappered at the front it feels thinner than it is.

- the adjustable rear sight. Useless but fine

- the serrated trigger. It hurts on DA pull

All in all, the P5 appears as an incredible fine pistol, with nice touches, more like a Budischowski or a Korth than like a police pistol like the P6 (P225). Sorry that this attention to details put the price so high and prevented more success.

Bye

1 - 10 of 10 Posts