Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I finally got it. Paid the rest of it today and picked it up. I was very surprised as I checked the date code and noticed it was AG (2007.) Very spiffy.

However, when I unpacked it at home, I noticed this scratch on the slide.

Should that worry me? Should I attempt to send it back? Or should I just not worry about a scratch? Otherwise, the gun is flawless.

So, on with the pictures that my roommate took. He'll actually be buying a Springfield XD .45ACP 5" Tactical when his permit finally gets here.

Comments?

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Nice gun.

I would have been upset by the scratch too, but don't send it back for that.

Heck, get the slide hard chromed. Unless you rub it against a metal object, no scratches ever again.

I can show U pics of mine if U like.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Sweet....very sweeet
notice how the "eagle over N"  has changed location...as has the date code....
there is now a "Eagle over N" on the right side of the frame where the triggerguard meets the frame and also the date code is no longer on the frame at all.....

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Those are very nice pictures. I'd at least take it back in to the guy and let him know you're unhappy about it. Perhaps he will make some sort of compensation, or switch it out for another if he has one in stock. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Oh yes the scratch. I hardly noticed it...
That is a shame. It's doesn't look too bad, maybe some of it will rub out with an oil cloth or something similar. (cross fingers) All of my firearms have a blemish on them somewhere or another. I look at it as it's part of their personality. It's what makes them different. As long as they shoot alright, we can stay freinds...
Just like a new car though, eh? It's got to have something on it somewhere.... This maybe a good omen though. It seems like that first scratch is the worst one, once you get it, then the rest are all small! (one can always hope)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Look I don't think the scratch is that big of a deal unless you are planning to keep the gun in a glass casing for the rest of your life, or its life.

I think it may be a bad idea to show the serial number on the gun don't you think? I don't know, I guess I am just paranoid at times.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Looks great, how much did you wind up having to pay and was it hard to find? I wish mine had the long mag release.

·
Registered
471 Posts
"The following is how to translate the letters into digits, which then correspond to the last two digits of the year:

A = 0

B = 1

C = 2

D = 3

E = 4

F = 5

G = 6

H = 7

I = 8

K = 9
Thus, an "AE" P99 was made in 2004 ("AE" = "04")."

I copied this information from the link below....
Walther FAQ mfg. date

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
that's correct......
some more info on the proofing....

The year code's is not a Walther thing.... as you know H&K is proofed at the same house also.....
the Ulm proofinghouse (indicated by the staghorn) used to mark them with the last 2 digits of the year..... like 74 or 68... and so forth... thats how you see some PP's or PPK's  with a year stamp.... and some PP's like the recent police trades with a 2 letter code.....
In 1977 they changed from the year code to the letters.....(I just recently found out the year).....so if you see a Walther that has the year instead of 2 letters... it's even easier to tell when it was proofed

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Regarding the scratch, I believe the finish on Walther slides is a Tenifer-like treatment in that it's actually a part of the metal, so even if the blue-black finish wears (or in your case, is scratched), the steel protection is usually still existant. At least that's what I've read several times from different sources.

HTH,
Jeff

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Soybomb @ June 07 2006,6:40)]Looks great, how much did you wind up having to pay and was it hard to find?   I wish mine had the long mag release.
Not that hard to find. The gun shop I bought it from bought it from some other distributor. I got it for $595 plus tax. A little steep, and I wasn't too happy with it, but they refused to go down in price.

Overall, I'm still happy. It's a hell of a gun

·
Registered
52 Posts
Since the AS trigger system is hard to find, I would hold on to it tightly.
I prefer it over the AO model as Smith and Wesson call it, or the DAO or QA as listed in the German Walther catalog.

·
Registered
112 Posts
holycrikey,
Just to offer some advice, suggest you remove the pics that show the serial number and re-post with different view or number at least partially blocked out; not a good idea to post serial numbers of your firearms on the worldwide accessible internet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[b said:
Quote[/b] (stevehf48 @ June 10 2006,2:28)]holycrikey,
Just to offer some advice, suggest you remove the pics that show the serial number and re-post with different view or number at least partially blocked out; not a good idea to post serial numbers of your firearms on the worldwide accessible internet.
Oh yes indeedy. Already done

·
Registered
8 Posts
A couple questions:

1) Which caliber? (The rounds in the photo look like 9mm.)
2) Did yours come with 15 or 10 rd magazines?
3) What was the product code on the carton?  

My dream gun would be a 2005 or 2006 9mm AS with two 15 rd magazines.  I love the single action trigger on my 1998 P99, and want an updated version of the same.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[b said:
Quote[/b] (yerasimos @ June 12 2006,1:28)]A couple questions:

1) Which caliber?  (The rounds in the photo look like 9mm.)  
2) Did yours come with 15 or 10 rd magazines?

My dream gun would be a 2005 or 2006 9mm AS with two 15 rd magazines.  I love the single action trigger on my 1998 P99, and want an updated version of the same.
Yup, 9mm. I specifically requested the 15 rd mags with mine. The product code was WAP77010 (pretty sure the "1" denotes the 15 rd mags)

I thought the extended magazine release wouldn't be that great, but is definitely perfect for my thumb. Great design change. I'd recommend this gun to anyone!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (yerasimos @ June 12 2006,12:28)]A couple questions:

1) Which caliber?  (The rounds in the photo look like 9mm.)  

WAWAP77000FC  WAL P99AS 9MM 4" BL 2-10RD
  WAWAP77003FC  WAL P99QA 9MM 4" MIL BL 2-10RD
  WAWAP77010FC  WAL P99AS 9MM 4" BL 2-15RD
  WAWAP77013FC  WAL P99QA 9MM 4" BL 2-15RD
  WAWAP77014FC  WAL P99QA 9MM 4" MIL BL 2-15RD
  WAWAP77022FC  WAL P99QA 9MM 4" BL 2-10RD

here you got all the codes for the 9mm........ just tell your dealer which one to order.......

Just a FYI... and I hope I don't sound like a knowitall now...... you can tell the 9mm and .40S&W appart without ever having to ask...... the slide and barrel on the .40S&W is about 1/4 of a inch longer than the frame.... so it will stick out..... also the slide will keep the same shape from front to end .... where the 9mm slide is smaller at the front of the slide     (sorry the German in me forgot the correct name for what I am trying to say)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts