Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up in the North Central area of PA for the university and made a stop in the big gunshop in Clearfield (this shop one of the largest ifirearms inventories in the state of PA, for example thay have at least 50 used left-handed rifles and shot guns).

I looked at the used pistols and they had a PPK/S .380 stainless with one finger extension mag for $355.  It was mechanically fine (IA date mark), but cruddy with lint, grease and oil.  I had a discussion with the clerk about how they do not touch their trade-ins--they want potential buyers to see what they are getting.  I asked him to talk to the mgr to see if they would do a bit better on the price.

Then I asked him if they had any other Walthers.  The response was that he had another--a P5 hidden away in the corner of a bottom shelf.

NIB condition, no marks on the mag, IC date stamp.  $599 on the tag.

I asked the same question  and also asked if there was a box, papers or extra mag.  No.  I told him the mags were really expensive and that I would have to think on it, that I had to meet someone and would be back inside of an hour.

I went to the local diner and had a cup of coffee and read my book.

I returned in an hour and a half and waited while he tended to other customers.  He approached me, pulled out a slip of paper and said that his mgr would drop the P5 to $500, but if I bought the pair he would drop the PPK/S to $300 also.

I hestiated a nanosecond and told him OK--$800 for both.

We consumated the deal with much paperwork.

As I waited for him to call the instant check for approval, another clerk was eating his lunch at the counter and we talked.  He looked at the P5 tag and told me it was no wonder that they dropped the price 100 bucks--they got the pistol as a demo from a rep and it has been in the used display case since  NOVEMBER 11, 2000!

He told me they Had to move that "iron".

He then told me that he was sure the box was in the back, left and came back in about 15 minutes after I completed the sale.  In the box was the original plasti bag that hed the pistol, the  manual, Interarms safety warnings & warranty (sic) card, a 4 page P5brochure, the factory test target ,and the second magazine still in the sealed plastic.

The clerk said--this is your lucky day, you may as well have these, we can't use them.

I got home and looked at the pistol and pulled the other one that I bought last month.  They are both IC manufacture dates, and their serial numbers are 268XX--,  only 53 numbers apart.  I bought them about 200 miles from one another--this one a demo that had and the other a trade-in, purchased in the mid '80s.

Can you believe this?
??

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Sometimes Lady Luck is just on your side!

Good Show!  Fun story.  Thanks for sharing.  And congratulations!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Congrats!!!
Sounds like they were meant for you!
What is the P5 brochure about? I never see any P5 ephemera - especially from Walther...
Congrats Again!!!
b-

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The "brochure" is a folded 10X14 color print, folded in the middle.  On the outside is the P5--full color.  Inside left is a stripped P5 pic w/  technical data and accessories listed below. The right inside page lists the "salient features" and a schematic of the p-5 "loaded and decocked".  On the back is a series of pics of the mechanism and below that "what the trade journals say about the p5.

I'll scan it later and post the JPEGs.  I don't have the capacity to do pdf files.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow! That sounds like a great bonus - Please do post pics as you're able!!!
Is your manual in english?
Congrats Again -Thanks!
b-

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The manual is multi-lingual--German, English, French and Spanish, a regular Rosetta Stone.

My scanner is acting up and feezing.  I got the first three pages sanned, but can't get the last one.

·
Registered
754 Posts
When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars

This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius
The Age of Aquarius
Aquarius! Aquarius!

You certainly had your stars aligned correctly! Great story. Wonderful buy.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Cigarman,

Thanks for sharing - that is a great find. My PPK/S (which I started to sell but changed my mind) is also an IA and has a very smooth trigger as far as they go. The price you got cannot be beat. Enjoy them!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I did not get yours, but I did get it's brother...

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Hey Cigarman, hopefully those Nill Grips I just sold you will finish that purchase off well. And I thought I got a great deal on my NIB P5 for $800 last year.

Must be good living....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's the cigars....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts