Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I was looking for a neat Manurhin PPK recently I was able to get an early model from 1958. Whereas I don't particulary like some of the French PP models for their rather clodhopping look I am very pleased by the Manurhin PPK with its one-piece grips. In fact I favour them because the French implementation avoids a possible gap or shifting between the two halves of their post-war German counterparts.

If you have a look at the test target then you'll notice suddenly that the shooter obviously took a "PP" sheet for some unknown reason. I have seen other test targets for PPK models that showed also "PP" but had an added handwritten "K" so I don't think of the possibility that the signing person just made a wrong decision but rather that Manurhin didn't pay a lot of attention to the documents. Also an indication of that could be the missing "c" in the abbreviation for "licence exclusivement" which is normally "lic. excl." (and not "lic. exl." as seen on the test target). I'm pretty sure that the people at that time didn't think of the probability that such test targets will last for more than half a century and will be showed worldwide. Nevertheless I enjoy having this PPK in my collection.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Most excellent; that is a real beauty and a gem of a pistol (and package). Congratulations on such a fine acquisition. Interesting bit of business on the test target as well. Must admit to being a bit green with envy; I've been looking for a nice Manurhin PPK for some time but haven't yet had the gun gods align at the appropriate moment.

Many thanks for sharing your good fortune -- and the great photos as well. :)

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
That is one beautiful PPK. I have been on the search for one of these as well/ I don't see them out there very often and yours looks about as nice as I've seen. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Beautiful. Manurhin PPK are few and far between on this side of the pond. It took me about four years to find my first.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Oh là là Deux :) That, too, is a beauty. Thanks for sharing, Dan. You are right: You sure don't see a great many of them over here.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
@Searcher451: why just count to 2? With Dan44's beautiful gun and my other French PPK we have a perfect ménage à trois... ;) This Manurhin PPK was manufactured around 1964 and used by the Austrian customs. For this reason it has the "Z" for "Zoll", the inventory number and the Austrian eagle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
@Searcher451: why just count to 2? With Dan44's beautiful gun and my other French PPK we have a perfect ménage à trois... ;) This Manurhin PPK was manufactured around 1964 and used by the Austrian customs. For this reason it has the "Z" for "Zoll", the inventory number and the Austrian eagle.
Agreed ... and never thought I'd agree to that on a gun forum, of all places. :) Well done, guys.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Balogh says .... " Whereas I don't particulary like some of the French PP models for their rather clodhopping look ..."

???? What does this mean ????? .... how are they different from "other" ( German ?) PP's ??

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
@IPSC: My statement of the rather clodhopping look is influenced mostly by certain grips (shape/colour) and grip extensions the French PP is equipped with. I know it's a very personal point of view and I have to say that I even prefer the German PP grips in its post-war design with the less tall Walther banner in opposition to the classic pre-war look. My favourite PP from Manurhin is the simple implementation without lanyard and thumb rest as shown in the following picture. This version pleases me at least as much as my other German labelled models. But as I said before it's all a very personal thinking and there are different opinions hopefully.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
@ Balogh

Yes....there are different opinions and no one is agruing otherwise.

Here is my point to make.....

The various grip style and colors ( flat side grip or thumb rest grip..fully checkered grips or "arch" type with smooth on top and checkered below.....the longer "birds-head" target style grip, ....the "extended grip" style with the mag extension...black color, brown color grips, etc, etc).... the point being that ALL these variations can be found on pistols labelled "Walther".....or on pistols labelled "Manurhin". I don't see the generalization that the "French" guns are commonly-made favoring one of more of these ways....compared to the "German" guns. My point being both type of guns can be found with all these grip styles.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Balogh, Both guns are really beautiful,& I have one just like yours ,a PP from 1956. It too has the grips like yours & no lanyard. It is a police turnin from Bremen, & the blueing is 95% or better & looks new inside. The cops must not do much shooting up there.

Balogh I have 2 of our children( nearly 50) who live & work in Heidelberg.They have been there 14 years teaching the military families children. We have been to see them 3 times & really loved Europe. I'm just sorry we did'nt get to Switzerland , it's so close.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Dan44: You're a lucky man. Although the Manurhin PP/PPK are quite widespread in Switzerland, I never had the chance to see one in 9mm kurz. Now I don't know which one should be in first place on my wish list: a Manurhin PP/PPK in 9mm kurz or a Walther PP/PPK in 6,35mm? ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts