381 - 400 of 406 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
RetFedGunGuy: I really like seeing someone use and hang on to their PPK for so long. Questions:
-- Have you ever had any problems shooting those hollow points?
-- Did you polish the feed ramp in order to shoot hollow points?
-- What is your ball park estimate on the number of rounds you've fired in your PPK?
-- Did you ever have to replace any parts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
RetFedGunGuy: I really like seeing someone use and hang on to their PPK for so long. Questions:
-- Have you ever had any problems shooting those hollow points?
-- Did you polish the feed ramp in order to shoot hollow points?
-- What is your ball park estimate on the number of rounds you've fired in your PPK?
-- Did you ever have to replace any parts?
Thanks for the compliments!

I've never had any problems shooting hollow points. Obviously like many other steel framed older semi-autos she prefers some loads over others. I did shoot about 500 rounds of jacketed ball to break her in. I only had a couple of firearms back then so I had to train hard with what I had.

The Federal Hydra-Shok 90gr. is what I would use if I was still working. Stiff recoil but excellent penetration and very accurate.

My favorite and the ammo she shoots best is the Winchester 85gr. Silvertip. Very soft shooting and VERY accurate.

I never polished the feed ramp, what you see is what I bought. Just a wild guess but she's probably fired three to four thousand rounds between qualifications, training, practice and plinking.

Never had to replace any parts.

As you can see the gun's a bit scratched up from drops and riding in cars without a holster. The finish is worn from a lot of carry and sweat. However, the gun is still 100% operational.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thanks RetFedGunGuy! As Martin notes, my "new to me" Ranger PPK is about the same age as yours (just a little older.) Thanks for your PPK firing history report. It's rare that we get one after thousands of rounds in the hands of the original owner. It speaks to the build quality of these Ranger pistols. I plan on putting rounds through mine and, given your report, will do so now with a little more confidence.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I shoot Armscor 95 gr FMJ's every week at the range. $15 bucks a box with tax and they don't foul really bad. EDC is Federal 90 gr Hydra-Shok JHP they shoot softer then the FMJ's and are a bit more accurate.

When I first got mine I had issues with FMJ's feeding didn't matter whose, it just wouldn't go back into battery all the way. JHP did fine. Replaced the recoil spring, strengthened my wrist, and started using grease on the rails instead of oil. Since then no issues.

I don't know how many rounds my late father ran through it but since April, I'd say I've put at least 3k rounds through mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I shoot Armscor 95 gr FMJ's every week at the range. $15 bucks a box with tax and they don't foul really bad. EDC is Federal 90 gr Hydra-Shok JHP they shoot softer then the FMJ's and are a bit more accurate.

When I first got mine I had issues with FMJ's feeding didn't matter whose, it just wouldn't go back into battery all the way. JHP did fine. Replaced the recoil spring, strengthened my wrist, and started using grease on the rails instead of oil. Since then no issues.

I don't know how many rounds my late father ran through it but since April, I'd say I've put at least 3k rounds through mine.

Gun grease is the secret! Oil works, but grease works better IMHO! I've used Hoppes and Tetra, I prefer the Tetra. But!!! Don't use a lot. A tiny bit goes a long way and of course regular cleaning and maintenance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an Interarms blue PPK/S. Serial #000452.

I have an Interarms blue PPK/S. I bought it new 6/2/82. Serial #011089. No prefix or suffix. Right side marked Alexandria, Virginia. Left side marked Made in USA. Barrel is marked with an interlocking VA. This is the lowest serial number I have ever seen. Any facts or thought appreciated. Thanks.
I also have an Interarms blue PPK/S. I bought it new in 1978 or 1979 before moving to Texas in 1980. Serial #000452. No prefix or suffix. Right side marked Alexandria, Virginia. Left side marked Made in USA. Barrel is marked with an interlocking VA. This is the lowest serial number I have ever seen.
I also have the box, manual with test target and plastic rod. There is not a production date on anything. I have seen your pictures, it's like mine.
I purchased it to add to my collection of other German weapons, mostly Heckler & Kock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an Interarms blue PPK/S. Serial #000452. No prefix or suffix.

A051xxx is a Stainless PPK from around 1990 or 1991...
I'm confused by the chart.
I also have an Interarms blue PPK/S. I bought it new in 1978 or 1979 before moving to Texas in 1980. Serial #000452. No prefix or suffix. Right side marked Alexandria, Virginia. Left side marked Made in USA. Barrel is marked with an interlocking VA. This is the lowest serial number I have ever seen.
I also have the box, manual with test target and plastic rod. There is not a production date on anything. It's in excellent condition with 6 magazines.
I purchased it to add to my collection of other German weapons, mostly Heckler & Kock.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm confused by the chart.
I also have the box, manual with test target and plastic rod. There is not a production date on anything. It's in excellent condition with 6 magazines.

That is the earliest serial I have ever heard of too. Yours was probably purchased in 1979 or early 1980, as the InterArms/Ranger contract wasn't even signed until November of 1978, and Ranger would have needed time to tool up production.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
For those trying to find it, the most recent version of PilotSteve's charts in this thread is found at post #335.

M

·
Registered
4 Posts
"InterArms PPK & PPK/S Collected Dates Chart" by RafMan

RafMan has created a Google doc. file on post# 359 which is updated
Jan. 25th 2020.
It is titled: "InterArms PPK & PPK/S Collected Dates Chart".
It may also help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you RafMan, PilotSteve, and all the other loyal members here for compiling this information.

I have an Interams PPK/S, blued, SN: 0195XX, no test target, no box, no history. Based on the charts and information contained here, it was purchased or manufactured in the early 80's, perhaps 1982. She still runs well (after the usual fixes) with FMJ, and serves as my CCW.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is the earliest serial I have ever heard of too. Yours was probably purchased in 1979 or early 1980, as the InterArms/Ranger contract wasn't even signed until November of 1978, and Ranger would have needed time to tool up production.
Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd like some help if you wizards have the time. My father just gifted me a PPK/S, SN 139xxx. Right side marked Interarms Alexandria, Virginia - left side marked Made in W. Germany, Carl Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do. He bought it off someone years ago (at least 50+) and I believe it has had less than 10 rounds thru it between the original seller and my father. This gun looks mint with the box, extra mag, cleaning rod, and registration card. Box is aged, with matching serial number as well.

It's going into the safe, but any idea when it was made? I'm (obviously) new to the forum and will start looking thru posts and documents, starting with the chart by Rafman listed above - but would appreciate any help.

381 - 400 of 406 Posts