Walther Forums banner

361 - 380 of 406 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can someone help me with my year of production, for my blue walther ppks 380 9mm Kurtz. I have my serial. Can I write it here?
Its. 208281S. Can you help me please. It's say on the slide "made in Germany"

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 6 Pro mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can someone help me with my year of production, for my blue walther ppks 380 9mm Kurtz. I have my serial. Can I write it here?

Pictures would help. Is this an InterArms? If so it would be an early import, not one built in the U.S. Perhaps there is a 2 letter date code on it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes my friend, it's an interarms. But my serial gun don't have any two letters code. Only number and an "s" at the end.

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
Your PPK/S was either made in 1976 or 1975. By the way, note the spelling of the calibre. It's 9mm kurz.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, based on my records (unofficial), the S/N provided puts it in 1976.
Walther W Germany 380 PPK/S 205626 1976 76 Date Barrel
Walther W Germany 380 PPK/S 210358 1976 76 Date Barrel

·
Registered
36 Posts

Those usually have a 2 digit date code on the barrel. It is visible through the ejection port. It if was made in 1976, it would probably be stamped "76" This is when it was proofed.

As I understand it, this is how Walther Stamped the Manurhin models when they proofed it in Ulm Germany. It should also have a tiny eagle, the letter N, and half an antler. These are the typical proof marks for the period.

These were manufactured in France by Manurhin by license from Walter. Final fitting of the parts, assembly, and proofing was in performed in Ulm Germany.

But there seems to be many exceptions, so pictures help.

I hope I haven't mangled this explanation, I'm just learning myself.

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
Those usually have a 2 digit date code on the barrel. It is visible through the ejection port.
Through the ejection port you can't see the barrel itself but the barrel hood which is part of the frame. On models proofed after 1977, you'll notice the date code between the trigger and the lower edge of the slide. So if there is a 2-digit date code, it is always to be found on the frame. The change from numbers to letters took place in 1977 already.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Through the ejection port you can't see the barrel itself but the barrel hood which is part of the frame. On models proofed after 1977, you'll notice the date code between the trigger and the lower edge of the slide. So if there is a 2-digit date code, it is always to be found on the frame. The change from numbers to letters took place in 1977 already.
Thanks for the correction on the barrel hood vs the barrel.
I have seen a PPK/S with 76 marked there. Didn't make the connection that it was the last year before the letter code. So far, all the ones I have seen have either the two digit date code on the barrel hood, or made in USA with the Interarms S/N.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
IA PPK/s blue .380 - S/N 059858. Test target = 05/26/92. Serial numbered receiver only - came with two (2) nickel finish magazines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
PPK
A002234
Sadly no box or test target.

I purchased this gun brand new in Laredo, Texas in 1985 and carried it as a BUG and UC gun for many years. It's still on duty as a house gun. I'll try and post a pic soon.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Welcome!

PPK .380 (9mm kurz), stainless steel. Acc. to a SN-sheet our member Steve offered some years ago, you are probably right acc. the year of made. Late 1985.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I can't get the links on this thread to open, so can anyone take a shot at estimating the year of manufacture for IA .380 PPK with s/n A000733? Thanks

PS: Wanted to pure fleet my PPK pistols to 380, so I just traded my .32 S&W PPK (with some cash) for a mint in the box Interarms .380 PPK in stainless. Target is matching but is not dated. (Saw a new Fort Smith PPK at the gun show, but i went for the mint IA PPK instead.)

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thanks Martin. (This Ranger/IA pistol and my 1980 Ulm/IA were owned by the same LEO who put them in his safe, never to be used, as soon as he got them.)

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Super! Thanks RafMan.

By the way: I believe in a typo on PPK A00061*. Should be 1985.

Reactions: 93978

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've looked closely at the test target for my A000733 and there's a 1/24 but not year. However based on the charts provided, I'm confident that A000733 was test fired on 24 Jan 1986. Thanks to all for help.

I'm looking forward to getting my 1996 Ranger back from the smith so that I can compare these two pistols.

361 - 380 of 406 Posts