Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a West German PP in 22LR on the way to me. Does anyone have a recommendation on what type of ammunition to start with? I don't know if I should start with standard or high velocity, jacketed or plain lead bullet. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Depends on how much use the recoil spring has had. A PP in .22 with a like-new spring might not work with anything but Velociters; you'll get failures to eject, slide closings on an empty chamber, failures to cock the hammer, etc. --all due to short recoil.

After some use, it will function with Mini-Mags and might function even with standard velocity 37 or 40 grain lead. Try and see.

Light-bullet Hyper velocity bullets are faster and may not stay in the bore long enough to give adequate recoil impulse, especially in shorter barrels.

M

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably start with mini mags and see how that does. I was considering getting a spring kit for it since I have no idea of the round count

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I suggest shooting it with as many different types of ammo that you might have on hand and see what happens before you jump into messing with swapping out the recoil spring. That adds another variable that may not be an issue at all. I find that standard velocity CCI runs fine in my lightly-used Manurhin PP.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I bought my PPK/s .22LR new. Shot CCI Mini Mags since new and can't remember any malfunctions. No idea the round count but it was my favorite plinker until I lost my plinking range.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mine is pretty well broken in and shoots best with Mini Mags and Aguilla HV. Federal bulk HV, CCI SV, and Aguilla SV won't cycle the action reliably. One other thing. While the magazine will accept ten rounds, you'll probably find that loading eight yields better results.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I will hopefully pick up the pistol from the dealer later this week. I have some mini mags and Winchester wildcats on hand already so I'll start with those.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like a lot of .22s you might have to try several to find what your particular gun likes the best. My W. German PP eats up Remington Gold Bullets (40 gr. HP) like it is going out of style. It has been fed a steady diet of these for the last decade. As long as I load the mags 1 less than full capacity it runs flawlessly and is very accurate. I think you’ll love it once you find the right ammo.

Don’t be afraid to try the cheap stuff. It worked so well in mine I never bothered with anything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts