Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a new Walther/S&W PPK in .32 auto and was wondering what folks were using for ammo. Here's what I ordered from Midway to start out:

Federal Premium Personal Defense Ammunition 32 ACP 65 Grain Hydra-Shok Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 20

Extreme Shock Enhanced Penetration Ammunition 32 ACP 60 Grain Frangible Box of 20

Winchester Super-X Ammunition 32 ACP 60 Grain Silvertip Hollow Point Box of 50

The Extreme Shock stuff is something new that is being used by counterterrorism units.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
My 60's PPK has never liked anything but FMC ammo.

I would buy whatever appeals to you and see how each style of ammo fuunctions in your pistol, then use that one.

If I had to actually use a .32 for defense I would put reliability above all else.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Take a few minutes and check out this article:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot26.htm

They also link to a follow up on some other rounds, but the .380 hardball fares pretty well, all things considered.
I looked at that site and wasn't either impressed with the testing or the results. First off I do NOT agree with the idea "What we want to do is to "STOP" a bad guy." It's way to vague for me and doesn't mean squat. Stop him how? In his tracks? Stop him from shooting at you? Stop him from taking aggressive action against you? I'm sorry, but to me the BEST way to "stop" a bad guy is to KILL him. It's total and final. If you pull a gun with the intent of using it, you better have the word KILL at the top of your mind and be thinking of it constantly. Your life or the lives of your loved ones may depend on how effectively you do kill the bad guy. What if you "stop" him and then he decides he wants to have another go at you and STARTS UP again. You could be dead. Better to kill him at the outset and not have to worry about it. Keep pumping shots into him until he IS totally incapacitated (or dead).Then take his gun away and call the police...and your lawyer.
And for crips sakes SAY NOTHING to the police other than the briefest of descriptions of what happened. Anything more and you will be sticking your head in a noose.

Now back to that website....water jugs. People are NOT water jugs. They are also not telephone books or pine boards. So all that kind of testing is pretty much BS. And the Marshall and Sanow stuff has already been debunked so no sense in looking to them for best caliber/bullet. Ballistic gelatin has been the accepted method of testing for most law enforcement and testing agencies because they can best control it in a laboratory situation.
We all pretty much know that the larger calibers in the .40 and above range are pretty effective. We also know how difficult it is to conceal those weapons. The tiny calibers like .22 and .25 are strictily for hitmen to use when they hold the barrel directly against the person's head. Shooting someone with a .25 auto FMJ is like driving a nail or spike into them. Not real effective.

Then we have the "intermediate calibers". These would be .32 auto to 9MM. I know there are probably thousands of 9MM fans who would like to lump it with the .40 plus ammo, but the fact is the 9MM is the same diameter as a
.38 special. The only reason it is worth using at all is because of specialized bullets that have increased it's killing power. The military is already looking at dumping it's 9MM experiment and returning to the .45ACP for general issue.
Intermediate calibers are generally used by civilians where concealment is more desireable. The reason the .32 and .380 can be used effectively is because of specialized ammo that is available. The test from that website seems to have made a special effort to AVOID the most effective, proven ammo for the small calibers. Gold Dot is already known to be the LEAST effective ammo as far as expansion is concerned. The most reliable, best expanding slug award in
.32 auto goes to the Winchester Silvertip. Magtech is another load that is NOT know for expansion or reliability. I have no idea why the tester chose those two rounds, but it does make the test suspect.

As far as using FMJ ammo...unless you are shooting a .45ACP, that's probably NOT a good idea. You would again end up with a .32 caliber metal spike. I would try the Silvertips and keep on trying hollowpoint or frangible ammo until I found one that worked in my gun. The bullet doesn't HAVE to expand. If you are under 1000FPS the chances of expansion in a small bullet go way down. But the SHAPE of the bullet becomes very important. A hollowpoint tends to disrupt and destroy tissue much more than a FMJ that just "slips through" tissue without damaging it.
Also, you are risking overpenetration and ricochet with FMJ ammo. Not something that's good if your family or innocents are near by. Frangible bullets like the Glaser, Extreme Shock, or Triton ammo help to increase the possibility of hitting a vital area.

I will test the three loads I bought and report back on the performance of each. But I would caution against depending on websites like that to use to justify what you carry. ;)

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts