Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what ammo was used to shoot the
25m test target supplied with my German P99 in 9mm?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I look at the target given with my P99 but there's nothing on it about the kind of ammo used.
I think it's probably RWS Geco 124 gr FMJ because it's the standard german load but I may be wrong...
Bye,
Bruno.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I would think that it is a 147 gr round for the 9mm. Because what I've heard is that is what the P99 was designed around. I could be wrong though. I would think that it is Geco brand ammo also.

For the .40 caliber P99 I think they probably use a 180gr round.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Don't know where you heard that, because everything I've read indicates that the preferred round the P99 was designed around was the 124gr FMJ and RWS/Geco was the round featured in all of the early P99 photos and brochures (and in the Walther Book).

FWIW

Regards,
James

·
Registered
44 Posts
Opened up my test casing and it is a Speer 9mm Luger

Don't know if it was gold dot or what kind of Speer, but that's what it says on it.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I believe the US Importer, Smith & Wesson, actually fire the case here in the USA after they have imported them, to meet the requirements of Mass. and other fascist states. I don't believe that is the ammo that is used at the factory in Germany to produce the test target.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The P99 and several other earlier Walthers are designed around the NATO standard 124gr ball.

GECO or Hirtenburger is probably used for zeroing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't have my target or casing here in front of me but, I seem to recall my test target being signed with a German name.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Yelf @ Oct. 09 2003,10:42)]I don't have my target or casing here in front of me but, I seem to recall my test target being signed with a German name.
I hope so.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Extremist

Please forgive the double tap.......

Where can I buy GWS/Geco 124 gr. FMJ?

I cannot find this ammo anywhere.

Thanks Dan

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
RWS/Geco ammo at Natchez Shooters Supply

This is the only place that has it consistently. Other good stuff I have found is Fiocchi 123gr FMJ TC. Very consistent, a little hot, and very accurate, though I don't think as accurate as Geco. It's at Cheaper than Dirt and only 110/1000!

Regards,
James

·
Registered
44 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't have my target or casing here in front of me but, I seem to recall my test target being signed with a German name.
Which German name? Mine target says Schmid (I think, working from memory here).

What a cool job, test firing new guns!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Anyone know if the recoil spring/guide rod is different on the US model? I seem to remember reading something about the US one coming with a spring better suited to 115gr bullets as this is what is more commonly shot in the US.

If it IS true.....anyone know where to get a Euro spring and rod besides Earl?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You can call Walther America and ask for the "reduced recoil spring" and they will send you the one that is brown in color. It is for use with suppressors and "lighter" loads.

They are only about $5 and they work great (with suppressors).

James

·
Registered
37 Posts
James

Thank you, Sir!

Just put the order in.....and gave them your source as my reference tip.

I'll keep you posted as to how I like it.

I must say that if they do better than plain old Win WB 115 gr Walmart , I'll be amazed.

I have been shooting this Walmart stuff beautifully with my P99.

Maybe it's just the gun itself: not caring about the load used.

I look forward to the Geco.

Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts