Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some 147 Speer lawman and some 150 grain federal synthetic and i was wondering if the walther q5 match shoots these well? Im a bit of a newb when it comes to guns so sorry if this is a remedial question

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Though I don't own Q5 Match, I do own a regular PPQ M1 and your Q5 Match should shoot those just fine and the 9MM 150 Federal Syntech action pistol is supposed to be exceptionally soft shooting. However to find out what your pistol likes best accuracy wise if that is a concern you would need to try out some different loads, ideally from a rest, unless you are happy with the results you are already getting and I would not be surprised if you are. Federal and Speer Lawman are my preferred 9MM practice loads in general in 124 and 147 gr and the Sellier and Bellot 124 I bought recently also is looking to be excellent for me.

To keep your pistol as reliable as possible be sure to make sure it is lubed adequately per the user manual which includes the entire slide rail on each side of the slide where it rides on the steel tabs in the frame, the steel tabs in the frame, and the barrel exterior.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used both the147gr TMJ Speer and the 150gr TSJ Federal Syntech in a PPQ M2 and a CZ Shadow 2 with GREAT results. Both are well below subsonic (985 & 890 fps respectively) and recoil is significantly less that typical 115 or 124 graing rounds. I'm looking for a less powerful recoil spring for the PPQ that should reduce recoil even more.
In my CZ, I am using a 12 lbs recoild spring (factory spring is 16 LBS) and it work well.

Also, the advice from grumpy1 about lube is spot on!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Both of those rounds work great in my Q5 Match. Lawman 147gr is my go to stock for general range use. My new Q4 Tac TALO edition arrived at the store today and I picked her up about 7 hours ago. Will be at the range Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have used both the147gr TMJ Speer and the 150gr TSJ Federal Syntech in a PPQ M2 and a CZ Shadow 2 with GREAT results. Both are well below subsonic (985 & 890 fps respectively) and recoil is significantly less that typical 115 or 124 graing rounds. I'm looking for a less powerful recoil spring for the PPQ that should reduce recoil even more.
In my CZ, I am using a 12 lbs recoild spring (factory spring is 16 LBS) and it work well.

Also, the advice from grumpy1 about lube is spot on!
I have used and will again as soon as it becomes available is the Michigan made ( remanufactured ) Fenix 9 mm 115 gr. FMJ ammo. It burns well, the price is right and no functioning problems.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have some 147 Speer lawman and some 150 grain federal synthetic and i was wondering if the walther q5 match shoots these well? Im a bit of a newb when it comes to guns so sorry if this is a remedial question
I am far from an expert. But I do own several 9mm pistols (including a poly Q5) with barrels from around 3 to around 5 inches. I prefer shooting 147g FMJ at the range, and I carry the 147g JHP. In my experience they are a tad softer shooting than the lighter, faster bullets. Also, at the range I mainly shoot (7-10 yards), the heavier, slower bullet seems to print closer to my POA. That could just be me, so I can't say it's always true for everyone. I have shot a lot of 124g ammo, and I have noticed very little difference between it and my preferred 147g ammo. I have not shot 115g ammunition except maybe a dozen or so rounds in each pistol just to check functioning with a lighter bullet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts