Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a PPQ Q5 Match, in 9mm. So far, love the pistol. Have put about 1,000 rounds through it, without incident. All inexpensive ball ammunition, from a variety of manufacturers.

Today, I tried using Federal Premium 124 grain HST with it. The rounds jam and am unable to properly discharge the weapon. Tried a couple of different magazines, reloaded magazine, same results. Used a magazine of ball, no problem.

Suggestions about what i am doing wrong here? Is this ammo incompatible with this pistol? A bit frustrated, as one of my purposes of purchasing this is for use as home defense, and would prefer to be able to fire a top quality home defense round.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I also have a Q5 Match Poly and it eats everything I put into it. I just shot a mag load of Federal HST 124 grain +P through it with no problems. It even has the same POA as the AE 124 I use for competition.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Agksimon's experience is the same as mine. My Q5 Match polys seem to run well with pretty much anything.

That Federal 124gr HST loading is my preferred defensive load so I've shot it some.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
So, I'm not sure what to tell you. The first thing is to field strip the gun, clean and lube it. Reassemble the thing and try that ammo again, making sure you are not "limp wristing" the pistol.

I apologize if you've already gone through this. It's hard to tell from you post what your experience level is.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Don’t know why only you would be experiencing this issue, and with such a certain ammo. Maybe consider either contacting Walther and getting it fixed, as that could be under warranty, or at least worth a look by the pros. Or maybe consider a different ammo. I would suggest another Federal product, Guard Dog. Shape of ball ammo, but filled hollow point with compressing jacket. Also would be a good idea to look into Hornady Critical Defense. Filled hollow point again, but is great for home, as walls and barriers would cause bullet to open up and stop in said barriers to prevent over penetration. Also, Hornady boasts low flash powder in their product. Don’t know about Federal, but I have to imagine if they are looking to compete, they might offer same or similar.

Merely suggestions, but my first inclination would be to reach out to Walther and pick their brains.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not to question your weapon maintenance habits, but what does your feed ramp look like? Having handled a lot of other people's weapons over the years, I have seen many feed ramps that look like coal chutes. If you your feed ramp has too thick a layer of fouling on it, that could affect the feeding of certain rounds. I am, of course, making the assumption that your slide is partially feeding the rounds and then stopping short of being fully in battery. Is that what is happening?

Just out of curiosity, do you ever have spent casings hit your forehead, instead of being ejected farther to the right? I ask this question because your answer could also be a diagnosis of the issue you are having. I have observed the same issue with a standard PPQ and have also seen the malfunctions that correlate with that ejection pattern.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the comments.

The malfunction appeared to be the rounds were not fully seated. It was hard to clear the round by working the slide (compared to racking a normal round). Seemed to catch indicating the round was not where it should be. It was my impression the rounds were not feeding in properly. Only had this with the Federal rounds. Two different brands of ball feed fine after this malfunction. So strange that it was only with this ammo. Maybe the shape of the nose contributes to this problem, as the HST does not have the smooth round nose.

Will strip it this weekend, and take a closer look .

Also have two small boxes of Hornady Critical Defense, but that's pretty hard to find right now, so haven't tested it yet. Will look into the Guard Dog.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thank you for the comments.

The malfunction appeared to be the rounds were not fully seated. It was hard to clear the round by working the slide (compared to racking a normal round). Seemed to catch indicating the round was not where it should be. It was my impression the rounds were not feeding in properly. Only had this with the Federal rounds. Two different brands of ball feed fine after this malfunction. So strange that it was only with this ammo. Maybe the shape of the nose contributes to this problem, as the HST does not have the smooth round nose.

Will strip it this weekend, and take a closer look .

Also have two small boxes of Hornady Critical Defense, but that's pretty hard to find right now, so haven't tested it yet. Will look into the Guard Dog.
Where I have seen shooters fail to maintain a firm enough grip on the firearm, the spent casings will hit the shooter in the forehead or pass over or just to the side of the head. This is because there is a torque effect from the rifling, which causes the pistol to twist to the left as it rises. Failure to maintain a firm enough grip will cause the pistol to be angled when it ejects the case, making it angle upwards, more than outwards to the right. Also, failure to maintain that grip causes the slide not to cycle as aggressively as it should because reliable cycling depends upon the frame being as stationary as possible. Just try this experiment: Rack the slide while keeping a loose grip with the strong hand. You'll notice that it doesn't work. The same principle applies when firing the weapon, too, only it is the recoil of the round which causes the slide to cycle, as opposed to your weak hand when you manually cycle it.

A grip that is insufficiently firm will cause the slide to cycle just far enough to the rear to grab the next round from the magazine, but the slide won't go back that last fraction of an inch needed to compress the recoil spring to the point that it will have enough energy to consistently close the slide all the way into battery. Because the HST's hollow point bullets do not have the ideal ogive of a round-nosed FMJ bullet, a hollow point round, such as the HST, relies upon the recoil spring being fully compressed to maximize the energy used to close the slide into battery. If your grip is less than ideal, you could experience failures to go all the way into battery when using the HST rounds, while you'll cycle FMJ rounds without any problems.

Try this the next time you get a failure to go all the way into battery. If the rim of the case is under the extractor as it should be, give the back of the slide a light tap with the palm of your support hand. That normally will seat the round in the chamber.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would measure the case mouth diameter of the rounds that are problematic and compare them to the rounds that feed reliably. I had a problem with a pistol (not Walther) that would not chamber SIG V-crown rounds while reliably working with the 365 version SIG V-crown rounds. The 365 rounds measured 9.55mm at the case mouth, while the normal SIG V-crown measured 9.65mm (which is the normal maximum dimension for 9mm Luger ammo). The chamber was simply too tight to chamber the larger rounds. Polishing of the chamber with honing brushes solved the problem.

·
Registered
828 Posts
As this is a match ppq, the chamber may be tight. Dimension dia slightly less.
Check the surface of the chamber in the barrel.
Regarding HST ammo. Check the spent cartridge case for mis shaped creases "wrinkles". I recall about mid 2018 different posts on different forums users had cases that mis shaped on some batches of HST .
Check the box lot number for rounds you "test". If still a problem and you get unusual indications call federal.
Keep using ammo that "works" then later try HST again.
I say this because with my Walther PPS classic. The chamber barrel chamber had some surface treatment on it that I cleaned .
Also critical defense hung up on the barrel ramp edge during the first 50 shots NIB pistol.
Once cleaned and lubed later the ammo was ok. But I still do not use critical defense in the PPS. It seems to work best with gold dots.
Definitely fight any urge to buff or Dremel anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Recently purchased a PPQ Q5 Match, in 9mm. So far, love the pistol. Have put about 1,000 rounds through it, without incident. All inexpensive ball ammunition, from a variety of manufacturers.

Today, I tried using Federal Premium 124 grain HST with it. The rounds jam and am unable to properly discharge the weapon. Tried a couple of different magazines, reloaded magazine, same results. Used a magazine of ball, no problem.

Suggestions about what i am doing wrong here? Is this ammo incompatible with this pistol? A bit frustrated, as one of my purposes of purchasing this is for use as home defense, and would prefer to be able to fire a top quality home defense round.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Think38, Try these and hoefully they will work good for you: Cor-Bon 115gr +P JHP...Federalm Personal Defense 115gr JHP...Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX....Remington Golden Saber 147gr BJHP...Speer Gold Dot 115gr and or 124gr JHP. Hope this helps you out. Take it easy,Kuntry Boy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Think38, Try these and hopefully they will work good for you: Cor-Bon 115gr +P JHP...Federal Personal Defense 115gr JHP...Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX....Remington Golden Saber 147gr BJHP...Speer Gold Dot 115gr and or 124gr JHP. Hope this helps you out. Take it easy,Kuntry Boy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for all the replies. Total clean today. Modest amount of soot, but not large buildups. Did see what looked small brass flakes while cleaning the slide. Did not have a chance to go to the range and shoot again. Maybe next week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tried the Federal again this weekend -- jammed and hard to get it to feed a round into the chamber and properly seat. Used two other hollow point rounds from other manufacturers with no issue.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Could just be Federal is Kryptonite to your blaster. Some pistols just are finicky. The tighter match chamber could be contributing to your problem, along with the profile of the pill. Quite a few times I have run into an issue like this. Hollow point ammunition will get caught on the tip of the feed ramp and clog up the works. Sounds like it is at least partially feeding, and then stopping. This would lead me back to the Match Chamber conundrum. Most ball ammo is sized to the small end of the acceptable size ranges, and when I hand load, I taper crimp EVERYTHING. Helps feeding, I find. Whether or not factory ammo is taper crimped, no idea.

I say do like Kuntry Boy said, and try out those other types of ammo. Hornady is my go-to. Those FTX filled points are reliable as ever, still tapered enough to help feeding, but still mess stuff up when it hits its mark.

Party on, man.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts