Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang!

I just got a used 5" p22 in really good shape.  I've been shooting CCI blazer ammo in it without a flaw, but the accuracy is really lacking at 25yds.

Which ammo have you been using
  that you don't have to take a morgage out on.  Remember, .22's are supposed to be fun and inexpensive

I'll appreciate all input.

Thanks,
Chris~

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nice Pic of the 5".  Maybe I'll get the barrel kit later.

I just picked up a new 3.43" P22 yesterday (came with the new mags, with the "A" in the part number).
Hope to try it out this weekend.
I also grabbed an assortment of ammo,
PMC Zappers, CCI Blazer, Mini-Mags, Stingers, Velocitors.
The P22 comes with a warning sheet to use HV ammo only for reliable cycling.  Has anyone had luck with Std Vel ammo?
I have a brick of CCI Std, so I'll probably try it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I got out yesterday with my P22 & P99. The P99 has about 500 rounds thru it (9mm), with no issues.
No problems with the P22 using CCI standards & CCI mini-mags.
The standards were more predictable.

One thing I did notice is that the tip of the hammer spring protrudes just a little bit out the back under the hammer (prob less than 1 mm).
Have you or anyone seen this on the P22?
Guess I won't worry about it; just a little cosmetic detail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For the P22 with 3.4" barrel, I've had excellent results with
Federal bulkpack 38 gr HP copper clad ($10/550 at Walmart) and also the Remington Thunderbolt 40 grain round nosed ($.99/box of 50, most places). This second ammo has a very satisfying loud report.

I've also tried the Remington subsonic ammo which many have had a lot of luck with but it's pretty dirty as subsonic ammo often is and have not had such good luck with it. I believe once I go back to the range with the 5" barrel, my accuracy with this ammo will improve as it has a chance to come up to speed instead of burning off much of the powder at the end of the 3.42" barrel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had my best results with the Federal Bulk from Wal-mart. Ironically I also use the same ammo for NRA Metallic Silhouette in my Winchester 52B. My p-22 always functions best with high velocity ammo. Federal ammo tends to have a more sensitive primer also. Almost all of the action shooters I shoot with reload as I do with Federal primers. The Federal also is quite clean......an added bonus!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts