Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used CCI Mini-Mag 40gr. with excellent results.
But my local store only sells Remington .22 Golden Bullet 40gr.
Have users found this ammo to works as good in the P-22 as the Mini-Mag?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Minimags have shot the best through my new P22. No failure to ignite after using them yesterday at the range for the first time- think I shot around 80 of them. The Remington Golden Bullets worked OK during the previous trip. Only one failure to ignite but wow are they smokey/dirty (a big poof) - around 60 rounds.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I’ve used CCI Mini Mags, CCI/Blazer Brass .22’s, and Remington Golden’s in both my P22 and my PPK/S. They all work great with very few issues from any of them. But being .22’s sooner or later you will get a round that just refuses to play nice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve used CCI Mini Mags, CCI/Blazer Brass .22’s, and Remington Golden’s in both my P22 and my PPK/S. They all work great with very few issues from any of them. But being .22’s sooner or later you will get a round that just refuses to play nice.

Well, looks like I'll give the Golden's a try.

Thanks All.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Quick question: are all Golden Bullets hollow points? When I bought the box and opened it up at the range I was surprised to see hollow points.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I went to the Remington site and it seems Yes, Golden’s are hollow points. They do make other brands that are round nosed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Remington golden bullets come in many different loads. The bulk packs are 36gn HP. They have 100 packs of 40gn CPRN. They also come in subsonic rounds.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Two things are important for plinking with the P22. An ammo that is powerful enough to cycle the slide reliably. Two that work fine are CCI Mini Mags and Rem Golden Bullets. You can't go by the velocity on the box. Next plated ammo keeps the chamber and muzzle much cleaner than waxed or plain lead rounds.

Other ammo will work but you have to try what might or might not work in your pistol. Since it is a plinker...I like the least expensive stuff I can find and that is usually Federal or Rem Goldens. Some Federals struggle to cycle the slide though.

Before purchasing high end, expensive target ammo....you might consider another pistol with a longer barrel. I still haven't cleaned my target P22 from shooting a couple of thousand rounds a month or so ago. I took it apart...there are some interesting observations. I'll put em up in a thread soon. 1917

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two things are important for plinking with the P22. An ammo that is powerful enough to cycle the slide reliably. Two that work fine are CCI Mini Mags and Rem Golden Bullets. You can't go by the velocity on the box. Next plated ammo keeps the chamber and muzzle much cleaner than waxed or plain lead rounds.

Other ammo will work but you have to try what might or might not work in your pistol. Since it is a plinker...I like the least expensive stuff I can find and that is usually Federal or Rem Goldens. Some Federals struggle to cycle the slide though.

Before purchasing high end, expensive target ammo....you might consider another pistol with a longer barrel. I still haven't cleaned my target P22 from shooting a couple of thousand rounds a month or so ago. I took it apart...there are some interesting observations. I'll put em up in a thread soon. 1917
Good info thanks all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought several cases of this ammo at the Black Friday sale that my local store was having.

They have worked fine in my Walther P22. Cheap price and a rebate to boot. What's not to like?

Aloha, Mark

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Yes Mark, that is a good effort if the rounds work well. Many times when I'm shooting my P22 I shoot it a lot....500, 1,000, 2,000, 3,000 rounds in a day. That gets expensive with CCI ammo although if someone was buying....I'd choose CCI over Rem or Fed any day. But since they aren't....RGBs seem to work the best for me for casual plinking. I have shoot a few thousand Federals at a sitting also. But what ammo you use, to me depends on how you are shooting. High end target ammo is more consistent than any of the above but 20 cents or 30 cents a shot has to have a really good reason to be used to me. 1917

·
Registered
705 Posts

Plated is good to keep the lead residue off your fingers when loading. I've been worried about my exposure as of late.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes Mark, that is a good effort if the rounds work well. Many times when I'm shooting my P22 I shoot it a lot....500, 1,000, 2,000, 3,000 rounds in a day. That gets expensive with CCI ammo although if someone was buying....I'd choose CCI over Rem or Fed any day. But since they aren't....RGBs seem to work the best for me for casual plinking. I have shoot a few thousand Federals at a sitting also. But what ammo you use, to me depends on how you are shooting. High end target ammo is more consistent than any of the above but 20 cents or 30 cents a shot has to have a really good reason to be used to me. 1917
Yes.....use what works.

That being said.....
I started keeping track of what works in my Walther P22. And for me, the Walther P22 is only a plinker. Accuracy......min. of can is good enough for a plinker.

But.....I've also shot that same ammo in my scoped Ruger 10/22 w/ hammer kit, stock work and an aftermarket bull bbl. Here is a recent target from that range session (3 shots per target at 25 yrds).

Of course.....results will vary.

Aloha, Mark

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Crete put up a link with pictures not long ago of some Olympic grade pistols and the groups from various rounds.....top of the line target ammo to Federal, and from what I remember...yepper, the high end stuff was good but, the inexpensive Federal actually was a bit better in several of the pistols. That chart and photos will be in one of the threads from the past four or five months..I don't remember what the topic of the thread was....

Oh yeah....I didn't see 10-22 at first and took those groups to be offhand at 75 yards. I was thinking...dang good shooting. OK, still good even if you used a rifle. BTW, somewhere I was testing the P22 with a long and short barrel and a bull barrel Ruger MK pistol from a mechanical rest and at 25M or 82'. The 5" Walther P22 was good for 5/8" five round groups but the Ruger with the longer and heavier barrel was good for 3/8" groups. These were both pistols. Mechanical rest, no scopes, sights weren't even used....all long as the poi was on the board that was good enough. 1917

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just bought a P22 and have 200 rounds through it. Mostly Mini-mags, they were excellent. I also shot some Rem goldens, they were fine also, but very smokey and left the gun very dirty. If you shoot CCi's you almost never have to clean it, but withe RGB's, it's a must clean after every range session. So, it's high finance time, 4 cents vs 7 cents.

·
Registered
18 Posts
CCI Mini Mag 0030 is the test cartridge used by Walther for the P22Q. I have run many thousands of rounds through my P22Q with zero failures. It is super clean. If your LGS does not carry it, it is readily available on line for ~ $0.06 per round shipped. Why bother with the rest?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts