Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please bear with me on this very basic question. I have read the posts, but the debates that arise very quickly about which ammo is best are confusing to me.

Here is my question. I went to my local gun store the other day to buy defensive carry ammo for my new P99c. I asked for Speer Gold Dot 124 gr., but they only had Gold Dot 9mm Luger 115 gr. GDHP, which I bought. Did I make a mistake?

Also, can someone give me a quick "course" on the differences between ammo, in terms of weight and whatever else is relevant? I am not looking to start a debate about which is the best ammo, only to learn about the differences that are important to know about.

If there is a site that does this, then a reference to that site will be great.

Thanks.

Ron

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you buy a jhp from a major manufacturer like speer you have a good load suitable for self defense. The rest of the stuff we argue about is minute detail really.

If you'd like to learn more about how to look up information about rounds and judge their possible performance I recommend you read this http://www.firearmstactical.com/hwfe.htm and then you can find other things.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I asked for Speer Gold Dot 124 gr., but they only had Gold Dot 9mm Luger 115 gr. GDHP, which I bought. Did I make a mistake?
No. As Soybomb said alot of this stuff is the splitting of hairs and has more to do with marketing than actual performance...read the FBI report, buy some decent SD ammo and practice, practice, practice on shot placement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts