Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that I have always found strange is the use of ammo. How can so many different people use the SAME gun and swear by DIFFERENT ammo. Reloads I can understand. But if Winchester shoots the best well it would seem logical that Winchester is the best to shoot. I was just curious as to what is your favorite brand and what bullet weight do you prefer?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Best ammo is a matter of several things. If you're carrying for self defense, you wouldn't use the same ammo for target shoot, or for basic practice. I primarily shoot CCI Blazer because it's cheap and clean. And it feels almost exactly like my carry ammo. I fed my gun a box of Monarch once cause it was all I could find and I'll never do that again. I can't stand WWB becasue it's anemic, and I can't stand UMC because it's almost as dirty as the Monarch. For carry I use either Hydr-Shocks or Golden Sabers 126+P's. Also, while I don't really target shoot pistol, I know from rifle that every single one has it's own personality and like once specific round better than anything else. It's not a specific model of firearm but the specific firearm itself. Only way to find what your gun likes is trial and error.

·
Registered
15 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake Starr @ July 17 2005,13:35)]I was just curious as to what is your favorite brand and what bullet weight do you prefer?
Since the P99 will eat anything you feed into it your choice can be anything you want. I prefer using Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket (EFMJ 124gr.).

·
Registered
310 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (toeball @ July 17 2005,14:10)]I can't stand WWB becasue it's anemic, and I can't stand UMC because it's almost as dirty as the Monarch.
Just out of curiosity, how do you define "anemic"? I used WWB ValuePak ammo at a USPSA match a couple of weeks ago in my Beretta 92G. They had a mandatory chrono stage at it came out at a little over 1200FPS. That seems fairly "peppy" to me.

I'm with Ken on the self-defense ammo...I carry the EFMJ in all my guns. My "experiment" with those rounds is on my website, here: http://users.adelphia.net/~navy87guy/ballistics.html

After about 300 rounds through 6 different guns, I'm confident.

Hope this helps.

Jim

·
Registered
232 Posts
Looks good, need to try feeding it through my 34 round mag because it won't feed the JHP. I don't own a chrono, just go by feel. The pop on the WWB isn't as hard as standard cary rounds, the CCI's nearly is. Wonder if it's a lighter bullet? I thought it was the regular 115 grain.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I pretty much exclusively use WWB from wally world in my .40 P99. That's the value pack, 165 grain.

In switching back and forth from that and my defense ammo (speer gold dot, 165 gr).  I can't discern a difference at all.  Same recoil, same accuracy, same SOUND even.  It is strange, but it makes me feel better about using the gold dot.

I feel like I can practice effectively with the WWB, which is just about the cheapest ammo I can find outside of a gun show.  Luckily, I think it happens to perform just like the gold dot.

-stunks

·
Registered
328 Posts
I prefer PMC 40 165 grain. I like that it is low recoil. Why should I batter my gun and myself during practice.
For carry I like Gold dots.

I have yet to try the WWB from Wally world.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Speer Gold Dot 124 Grain +P Hollow Point. For target shooting I typically use CCI/Speer Blazer.

·
Registered
539 Posts
That Armscor and Sellier & Bellot both make very mild ammo. Recoil felt far more docile than Winchester USA or Federal JHP. Of course we can argue about the value of low recoil during practice when you carry high recoil stuff for 'real'.

A few months ago I bought boxes of different ammo to try. I have yet to collate the data I collected.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I remember on one of the posts on the forum I read that in 2004 model and after the imported p99 9mms are sighted for 115 grain. Before that it was slightly heavier I believe...

·
Registered
821 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (peterk @ July 20 2005,20:08)]I remember on one of the posts on the forum I read that in 2004 model and after the imported p99 9mms are sighted for 115 grain.  Before that it was slightly heavier I believe...
That's interesting.  I'd like to read that post.  I would think Walther would choose the "middle" load or 124 grain for sighting in.  Wonder if we email them if they'll be able to tell.

Ammo weight in grains like you say, is important.  My wife's XD9 shoots low with WWB 115 grain, but is right on with the 124 grain it is sighted in for, interesting.  Heavier bullets shoot higher when a gun is sighted in with a lower weight projectile...

-stunks

·
Registered
333 Posts
Remeber all bullets, irregardless of weight........drop to earth at the same rate. ( or pretty close to it--we can't shoot in a vacuum)

It is the "speed" or velocity of the bullet that puts it at different distances from the horizontal-- as you move down range.

Fire a .40 cal bullet from a horizontal barrel.........and at the same time drop a .40 cal bullet from your hand ( same distance from the ground as the barrel ) And BOTH bullets will hit the ground at the same time!

So look at bullet velocity to account for various POI's

JF

·
Registered
232 Posts
not if your barrel is pointing up slightly...

·
Registered
821 Posts
Sniper,

We all value your opinion here, you have a lot of experience in these matters. So, is it purely velocity that has to do with POI? Why do heavier bullets tend to shoot higher? Just curious, and I hope you can clarify this for us (but really me, cause I wanna know!). Thanks!

-stunks

·
Registered
333 Posts
[ So, is it purely velocity that has to do with POI? ]

Well, not really..........when we are talking the real world. The shooter adds tons of variables to the equation. As well as the elements i.e. wind, humidity, air pressure and so on.

But if you are talking just following the straight science of ballistics and the laws of gravity...velocity has the largest impact. Another element of ballistics is projectile design. This is important in establishing a consistent flight path or trajectory, and this is where accuracy is born. Reducing drag on the bullet ( by bullet design ) can maintain a velocity longer and get you further down range on a particular powder charge. Add to this barrel design......where the bullet can receive a stabilizing spin......keeping the bullet "true" to the flight path and thus further reducing drag.

So to answer your question directly........ I would have to guess that your heavier bullet may have a heavier charge behind it in order to keep the velocity up so the bullet can perform adequately in the "terminal ballistic stage" with impact & expansion. Thus if we chrono your heavier bullet at 20 yds, ( because it is hitting the target at a higher POI than the lighter bullet ) I would expect to see a higher velocity at that distance.

The cause may be bullet design or powder charge......... as long as the shooter is not changing his grip and follow through due to different recoils. So you can see the answer, in the real world, is a bit more complicated than I made it seem with my first response.

JF

1 - 20 of 21 Posts