Walther Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Re the chambering of a fired/spent case, forget it.

A fired case ought not enter the chamber in the same way as an unfired one anyway.

The point is to see if the Mini Mag case has expanded a lot more than the regular CCI case, and to see if the case is still round or slightly oval shaped after firing inside the chamber. It certainly wouldn't hurt to do it and see what happens.

·
Registered
19 Posts
To reinforce what is said above, we have multiple P22s in the family. They are the old style, purchased in 2005 so not exactly like yours, but just in case I will forward our experience. 1) .22 ammo is very dirty firing as compared to centerfire. With our pistols I take them apart after about 100 - 200 rounds and a) put them in a bath of gasoline, b) brass brush swabbing of barrel and chamber, c) tooth brush across every surface area that has carbon on it, d) swab barrel/chamber with solvent, d) blow dry with compressed air (or just let the parts sit in air and drip dry for a few minutes), e) oil moving parts lightly and then reassemble. This may sound like a lot of work, but it really isn't. The only thing to be careful with, at least on the original P22, is assembling that recoil spring.
A second thing to watch is called "limp wrist". The pistol needs to be held firmly in order for the recoil to work the action
Finally, as others have mentioned, Walther customer service has been good to me. The slides on the original P22 had a habit of cracking after a few thousand rounds, and Walther replaced my slides without question or charge
Good luck

·
Registered
899 Posts
The point is to see if the Mini Mag case has expanded a lot more than the regular CCI case, and to see if the case is still round or slightly oval shaped after firing inside the chamber. It certainly wouldn't hurt to do it and see what happens.
A fired LR case will go 9/10ths inside the chamber of the Walther P22, leaving the rim clear from the breech face.

No matter which LR is fired, including Stingers or Aguila SSS (Short case, not LR), all will allow to enter up to a point and no further.

No fired LR case is meant to, or will go all the way in the chamber all the way to the rim – as an unfired LR does – or the blowback action would fail to operate for all Long Rifle fodder.

OP's P22CA works fine when using CCI Mini Mag ammo only, for some unknown (as yet) reason.

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
Crete, Mini Mags are the ones that aren't ejecting. Regular velocity CCI runs fine. The opposite of what you would think which leads me to think there is once again a too tight chamber and the more powerful mini mags are expanding the case against the chamber too tightly ( bad machining, undersize, rough spot ) who knows. This has shown up a couple of times recently. A quick trip back to Ft Smith for a chamber honing cured the issue. My understanding from what the OP is saying is that the CCI cases are sometimes ejecting and sometimes not. Why? I can only come up with they are experiencing delayed extraction due to something. Like a tight spent case being slowly blown out of the chamber.

Regarding the barrel nut. There is no good reason to remove a barrel from the frame of a P22 unless you are replacing the barrel or installing the optional length barrel. CA residents can not change the barrel due to the locked nut.

Actually they can as the nut comes off if heated but that is another story. 1917

·
Registered
58 Posts
Regarding the barrel nut. There is no good reason to remove a barrel from the frame of a P22 unless you are replacing the barrel or installing the optional length barrel. CA residents can not change the barrel due to the locked nut.

Actually they can as the nut comes off if heated but that is another story. 1917

Somewhere I read the CA model doesn't have the slots/flats in the barrel nut for the wrench. Guess someone could heat up the nut and remove it with vice grips (and ruin it), then buy the slotted barrel nut and wrench if they wanted to have the ability to remove the barrel.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Well made ammo works in the P22 flawlessly, including the CA version

Since the more powerful Mini Mag is causing problems in this P22 it points to something wrong with the gun - ie, the chamber most likely.
Most posters with P22CA recommend CCI Mini Mags and all quality-made ammo.

This is also true with most match-grade guns with perfectly designed breech, chamber and bore.

Low quality LRs cause Failures To Feed and Failures To Fire.

Some batches of CCI Mini Mags are poorly made and it's them that are at fault. A different batch/Lot# usually solves the FTFs.

In the P22 it is mostly the ammo – not so much how powerful it is, but how well made it is.

Read this: https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p22/122016-walther-p22ca-fte-failure-eject-issue-resolved-spoiler-better-ammo.html

·
Registered
899 Posts
It's the chamber/breech that needs to be smoothened then. Leading can also affect the chamber/breech and is not uncommon. A manufacturing error in one (1) bbl is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Thanks all for your responses. I haven't been to the range in a couple of weeks but will be heading there today :) I am truly okay with using the standard CCI ammo because I know that it works and that is great!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks all for your responses. I haven't been to the range in a couple of weeks but will be heading there today :) I am truly okay with using the standard CCI ammo because I know that it works and that is great!

Take a close look at your chamber after cleaning it, and see if there are any irregularities as shown in the photos in this post (different thread). Also, look at the fired brass cases to see if there are any irregular markings that might match chamber irregularities.

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p22/113688-thought-i-d-share-pic-my-new-walther-6.html#post1231052

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
And remember...your pistol has a lifetime warranty. You can call Walther back and tell them you have cleaned, lubed, tried additional ammo including mini mags and some will not eject. They will e-mail you a shipping label. Place the pistol in the box it came in or some other. Take it down to whomever they use for shipping and send it off. It will be mailed back to your place of residence or wherever you tell them to send it. It does not need to go through a federal firearms license business. It can be shipped straight to you. Safe shooting. I think you have a chamber problem that will be easy to repair. 1917

·
Registered
2 Posts
walther P22 Warrenty

Call or E mail Walther and tell them the problem your having. I just returned A CCP for warranty work. Very simple process and doesn't cost a thing.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts