Walther Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a P99 .40 AS and have read what I can on what these guns like to shoot - any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciate for home protection as well as target.

Thomas Mullenix

·
Registered
169 Posts
for target i use wolf 180g fmj,or american eagle 180g fmj.had no probs with wolf ammo.its cheap and reliable.for carry i carry a 180g fed.hydra-shok hp.if it was good 15 yrs ago,afaic its still good today.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm going to actually disagree with the above poster, there have been improvements to hollowpoints over 15 years and I don't believe there is a reason to buy dated designs like the hydrashock. Federal's newer design the HST would be a better choice. Really you won't go wrong with buying anything of the hollow points from the major manufacturers, Winchester Ranger, Federal HST, Remington Golden Saber, Speer Gold Dots, etc.

For practice buy whatever is cheap. Winchester white box at walmart or cci blazer from academy/dicks if you have them will probably be cheapest.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i agree with you soybomb,HPs have improved since the hydr-shok came out.most certainly.but what i meant was to say it was lethat then,and im sure its a lethal and reliable round even still today.even with all the improvents in expansion in todays HP.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I certainly wouldn't want to be hit by one and I have no doubt that it isn't effective, if you're having to buy new though I don't see any reason to buy them anymore. I'd use 'em if I had 'em but would restock with something more modern. :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
well you know what im gonna do,im gonna have a look at the HST.I like federal ammo.the tactical HS is i believe the latest incarnation of the HS.maybe it is time to update.

·
Registered
169 Posts
''What do you guys think of Independence rounds?''

never heard of them,but im no ballistics or ammo expert.im sure there r on this forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think they are made by CCI but not for sure 12.00/50 rounds - not too bad for breakin her in I suppose :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This from another source:

The store I purchase it at has a sign that says it is CCI. I am looking at a box at this moment but can not find any thing except that it says it is made in Brazil. However I can not find it on the federal or CCI web page. It is definantly great ammo.

·
Registered
169 Posts
you can get Wolf ammo. alot cheaper than that.up here 500 rnds go for$88.00.its not bad ammo,never had a prob. w/ it.i shoot atleast 500 rnds a week.which is why im gonna get a Dillion Press.1000 rnds a week with a press is alot cheaper.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Independance Ammo. is actually manufactured by Federal according to the search i did.i dont see it listed on their website tho.

·
Registered
525 Posts
As far as I know Federal distributes indepence which is made for them by magtech.

For practice rounds though I don't think it matters, just find what ever is cheapest. Check your walmart for winchester white box, its hard to beat that after paying for shipping. natchezss.com also has good prices on cci blazer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Winchester .40 S&W 165 Grain FMJ 100 pack @ your local Walmart.

My Walther loves those. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
ammo suggestion

I use 180 gr cci blazer aluminum case for the range.

I usually carry 9mm so am still looking for a defensive round. I will say that my gun did NOT like 155gr Ranger. A few real tight jams that I needed help to get unstuck.

Don

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
''If you're referring to my post, they go here in CA for $18.92 plus tax so around ~ $22.00.

I did however purchase some Factory Reload rounds from

http://www.outdoormarksman.com/produ...roducts_id=431

500 rounds for $92.00, shipped from their factory in Oregon. They arrive here tomorrow actually so I'll let you guys know how they shoot in my P99 AS.
Yesterday 09:11 PM ''

thnx ill check them out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts