Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....after many trials and experiments, this is what I have uncovered.

115 seems to produce the most consistent results. 147 gets the tightests groups. But the worst fliers. I cant seem to get my head wrapped around that!

My test is shooting 20 rounds. 10 rounds at 50 ft and 10 rounds at 75ft and then I simply score the rounds. My targets scores are between 185 and 193 and the ammo doesn’t matter.

Last night was typical. With 115 scored a 191. With 147 scored a 188.

My first 5 rounds with the 147 literally 4 rounds were a half inch group, and one 3” out. That seems to be the story with time shooting that ammo. Where the 115 will be a bigger spread but no fliers....ever.

As I go into league shooting, I am still torn in regards to which ammo to use this season. I won last year ever single week with AE 115 but I know the guys are out to hunt me down this season 🙂

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting. Are you using the same brand and bullet type of 115 & 147?
Have you tried more than one brand ammo?

Those are pretty good groups at that range.

I wish 3" was my worst flyer at 25 yards.

Regis

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly the brand of 115 doesn’t seem to matter but I usually shoot AE or Fuc. Rounds. I also have some 124 AE too.

The 147 I used is some great stuff supposedly. And scores the best in studies I have seen.

But my results don’t produce the same.

I mean....tight and always some outliers.

It must be me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My last trip to the range, I was shooting 124 gr Blazer Brass. I was for the first hour or so, shooting some really good groups (For me). About 2-2.5 inches. But ALWAYS at least 2 flyers per mag. Always low, and far to the right.

I say for the first hour, cuz after that, I was getting tired, and was practicing more combat style, just using fast target acquisition front sight only. I don't measure those, I'm just simply trying to bring the barrel up and put it in the circle.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Get a cheap laser, it will show you pretty quickly if you are jerking the shot. If you know someone who can load you some rounds without powder. Slip them randomly in the magazine, will show you the same thing.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have tested many brands and weights and had my best results with AE 124, followed closely by AE 147. With other brands and weights, the groups opened up, sometimes significantly.

I use a pistol rest and with my Q5 at 25 yards and the AE 124, have been averaging groups under two inches, with very rarely a flyer.

Weights and brands make a big difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
IMO and experience, as well as many handgun enthusiast magazines testing, shows some guns prefer certain brands, though most major brands work well.

Only way to definitively tell would be a ransom rest to take most of the human element out.

Geco, Fiochhi, AE, S&B, Lawman/CCI/Speer all work pretty well.

I blame 'flyers' on me.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I would like too.....I just don’t know why they are more noticeable with the 147.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts