Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've waited a few days before posting this in anticipation of "opening a can of worms" but--------here goes. What kind of ammo (brand, type etc) should I be using (or not using) in my P99 (9mm)? (for both "plinking and personal defense) Thanx in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Ummm
Your P99 should eat any 9mm ammo you feed it..... I have not heard of a P99 that is picky

when using defensive loads.... I would stay away from the +p and +P+..... the P99 is not designed for hot loads...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
QUOTE]..... the P99 is not designed for hot loads...[/QUOTE]

While this is true the P99 can surely handle +p loads. This is what I use for a personal defense round. And while I do shoot these they are not my plinking ammo. I reload my own so that will not help you. But when I buy, I buy cheap, in bulk and what is locally available. I use Remington UMC or Winchester White Box. 115 grain FMJ. Since I reload I keep the brass. Yet my early model 99 likes 124 grain better and if I am feeling lazy I buy Wolf or Brown Bear. I know people have talked about the steel cases may damage the pistol but I don't shoot them enough to really make a difference. Honestly the guys I've talked to who frown on steel brass are owners of indoor ranges who collect spent brass for resale. Since most the steel is Berdan primed, except for maybe CCI, they cann't reuse it and it is just a hassle for them to cull the stuff out from the rest. I think it is a conspiracy theory.

The lacquer on some of the Russian stuff has been said to cause fowling in some pieces like AR's. Also extractors and feed ramps may be damaged by the steel case. If someone has more or different info, please let me know.

I like Speer Gold Dot, 115 or 124 gr JHP for carry. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
83 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (uncut @ May 16 2006,4:55)]Ummm
Your P99 should eat any 9mm ammo you feed it..... I have not heard of a P99 that is picky

when using defensive loads.... I would stay away from the +p and +P+..... the P99 is not designed for hot loads...
european and NATO-spec 9mm ammo, which the P99 was designed around, is the equivalent of american +P 9mm. the C.I.P.'s (the european equivalent of SAAMI) pressure limit for 9mm includes both 'standard' and +P 9mm SAAMI pressures.

NATO-spec, sellier&belliot and other european ammo run about 1200-1250fps with 124grn bullets. commercial american 9mm is about 1100-1150fps, and american +P is 1200-1250fps.

will hotter ammo wear out your pistol faster? sure, just like a .357mag will last longer if you only fire .38's from it. but +P will not 'damage' your P99, it is the load it was designed around. think of remchester as '9mm lite'.

frye

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Where does it say you can't run +p or +p+ loads?  I've used them and they work just fine.

On page 6 of my manual, it states not to reload up to +p rounds, but that's reloading, and I can understand that because the brass may be weak from multiple firings.

That said, I wouldn't use them as your IDPA or IPSC load.  I'd use the cheap stuff for that.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I've had VERY good luck with Olympic 124g FMJ. Used to be able to pick up a 1,000 round case for around $100 give or take a few $. Haven't looked recently for it. Brass cased, boxer primed (not that I'm reloading at this price), non-corrosive, and new.

Agree with not using steel case ammo due to it being tough on the chamber area and the lacquer can gum up the works, although it's probably more of an issue in the rifle world due to the higher pressures and various action types involved.

-Jeff

·
Registered
471 Posts
Like Jake, I roll my own, so I can't really help in your practice ammo question. For defensive rounds, I carry the RA9T... (Winchester Ranger 147 grain SXT bullet)

In response to Jake's article; It is marked "law Enforcement Ammunition", but that is from the manufacturer and not by law... It is my contention that if it's OK for Law Enforcement, then it's OK for me... I don't believe that it is the bullet used that will get a person in trouble, but HOW that bullet is used...

My P99 manual says nothing about "don't use +P ammunition"... I can't imagine "Walther" making a pistol that could not handle +P 9mm... I don't use +P ammunition all the time so it would never be a problem for me anyway... Probably not a problem for any one else in here either...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
for target practice, I always use wwb 115 grain fmj. For a defensive load, I use federal Hydra-shok 135 grain jhp. I never once used or ever intend to fire +p ammo in my Walther.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have no concerns on firing +P ammo in my P99. I've used WWB, Winchester NATO spec, Olympic, Lake City, and Wolf. I didn't care for the Olympic or the Wolf so I'll be staying away from them in the future. Currently I carry Federal EFMJ, but I may be switching to the Ranger if I can find a good source.

CD

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've been buying all of my Ranger ammo from a fellow I found on GlockTalk named Jerry Kirkpatrick. [email protected] His prices are reasonable and he ships fast... Going to get some more RA9T from him here before too long...

Poser. Why do you not like Olympic? I'm just curious because I bought a case pretty cheap and I have not shot any yet...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the source for Ranger.

As for the Olympic, I purchased a case of that when I first got my P99. It functioned fine, no failure to feed, fire or extract, but the accuracy was poor. With the first box or two I attributed that to me; new pistol, hadn't shot pistols in a while etc. But as I shot some different ammo & would switch back to Olympic I could see the difference.

CD

·
Registered
471 Posts
Appreciate that. Now I'll have something to blame when I shoot up my supply. Maybe I'll let my guest shoot the Olympic and I'll shoot my reloads, then I can kick some tail...Hehe:cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
My P99c jammed up really bad on Brown Bear.  I'd also stay away from the olympic.

Matches

·
Registered
471 Posts
To have any gun jam up while hunting a brown bear is not good, much less a P99c. Unbelievable! I think I'd rather hunt a brown bear with something a little heavier though...:p Just kidding you! To tell you the truth, I've never heard of the brand "Brown Bear"...???
Wish I'd heard all this about Olympic earlier... Oh well, it didn't cost much and I'm sure I will use it's brass to reload... I'll just shoot the stuff when no one else is around!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts