Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I've been asking paranoid questions about my 40 P99.

Bear with me, I'm new to guns in general and don't know as much about what to expect as they are used and age.  While cleaning my P99 recently, after using solvent and brushing the barrel, then passing clean swabs through, yadda yadda yadda, I noticed at the muzzle end, in the rifling there are coppery colored streaks that follow the lines of the rifling.  I can't tell if it's barrel finish wearing off, or some sort of deposit in the barrell.

I use regular Hoppes 9 solvent, and practice with WWB from wallyworld.  Unfortunately, there are only 300 or so rounds through it.  Being a college student with a full time job doesn't leave much time for practicing!

Does anyone else have these streaks inside their barrel?  Again, I feel paranoid, but I like to think I take excellent care of my gun, and I want it to last forever!!!  Thanks for your input.

-stunks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not to worry.  There is no internal finish to wear off - it's streaks of copper from the bulles.

Hoppes 9 doesn't remove copper (pretty sure), so some is left behind.  You can ignore it or, if it bothers you, switch to a cleaner that does strip copper.  I like Shooter's Choice "MC #7 Bore Cleaner and Conditioner".  So do benchrest shooters (combining it with Kroil).

After you brush, run rubbing alcohol across the brush to remove the cleaner - otherwise the brush will dissolve - it's copper too.  I just hold the brush over a garbage can and trickle alcohol (99%) on to one end, letting it run off the tip carrying debris away.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I usually don't worry about copper streaking in my handguns. Unless it looks really bad. My long range rifles are a different story though.

The P99 isn't designed to be a really accurate one hole shooter. Its a combat gun, so the copper fouling, IMO, isn't going to deter that much as far as accuracy goes. If you had a handgun you were shooting at long ranges, then it might be a factor, but for what the P99 was made for, you shouldn't worry.

·
Registered
539 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (acrashb @ Mar. 03 2005,9:56)]After you brush, run rubbing alcohol across the brush to remove the cleaner - otherwise the brush will dissolve - it's copper too. I just hold the brush over a garbage can and trickle alcohol (99%) on to one end, letting it run off the tip carrying debris away.
That's a good 'doh!' statement. Hadn't thought of that myself
I use Remington cleaner which I'm pretty sure leaves copper alone as my brushes are in good shape. But I was thinking it was removing copper from my P99 and M38s. Since I don't clean my brushes like you suggested I guess there's copper in my barrels as well

Time to get some cleaner that removes copper!

·
Registered
55 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (acrashb @ Mar. 03 2005,9:56)]the brush will dissolve - it's copper too.  
brushes appear to be copper but actually "phosphor bronze". they might disolve, i dont know

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am suprised so many of you use brushes. I have never used anything besides q tips for almost everything except extreme deposits, but it usually comes off after some soaking.

·
Registered
62 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (alex @ Mar. 04 2005,6:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (acrashb @ Mar. 03 2005,9:56)]the brush will dissolve - it's copper too.  
brushes appear to be copper but actually "phosphor bronze".  they might disolve, i dont know
You're right about the brush material - I was simplifying - bronze is just copper, with zinc, tin, and lead added to improve its characteristics (like rate of oxidation).  I think the phospher is added to make the material more elastic (not sure).  And yes they do dissolve - the symptom is the brush gets much easier to push through, and the diameter of the bristles goes down quickly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts