Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s the verdict on aluminum ammo in semi autos? I do t care for steel cases but have never tried aluminum. Are there negative effects?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I normally haven't had any issues with aluminum cased ammo. The last 200 round box of Federal Champion 115 gr. FMJ aluminum case was nothing but problems.
This was shooting multiple handguns that are normally not ammo sensitive. Been shooting nothing but brass since then with no issues. Even with the Federal Champion.

I have no issues with aluminum cased ammo and if it works, use it. I will try again sometime with aluminum FMJ if going to the range but all my carry ammo is JHP brass.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used a good bit of aluminum-cased .45 ACP in my Glock 21 and Springfield Armory 1911 over the years, and I never had any issues with it. It cycled just as well as any other brass-cased ammo I used. In fact, I bought 300 rounds of aluminum-cased .45 ACP right about when 9mm FMJ disappeared from my favorite online ammo supplier.

And speaking of 9mm FMJ, I just paid the same for a couple of cases of it as what .45 ACP normally costs. Big sad face. Yeah, I already had enough 9mm for a few range trips, but I wanted to add to the cushion in case the ammo shortage ends up prolonged. Hopefully, I won't have to order any more 9mm until prices go back to normal. The same goes for .380. It also costs as much as .45 ACP used to cost.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
I've shot aluminum cased 9mm, .45 ACP, and .38 Special through a varity of different handguns and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Put me down as another happy customer. Along with my reloads, I've used the aluminum .45 ACP in my Springfield GI 45 without any problems at all.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I've never used the Federal aluminum stuff but have used a lot of the CCI Blazer 9mm aluminum stuff.

My experience has been mostly positive. You will occasionally run into a gun that doesn't like it, but most will shoot it without issue.

It's a practice round though. I would not recommend it for anything more serious than practice.

There was a time when it was a really cost effective way to practice. I don't know if that's true anymore.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I have put a fair amount of it through my P99s, never an issue. That said I don't see it around here anymore since Wally World no longer sells ammo, and I get most of my stuff online, and I just order brass. Well, at least that's how it was before things went crazy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’ve never had issues with aluminum-cased Federal Champion, CCI Blazer, or Independence ammo in my Walthers but have had other guns, including my HK P30S, have sporadic issues with them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Two comments:
1) there's a guru on the HK forum who has no problem with aluminum in the SP5; he doesn't use them personally, but he said he doesn't think they'll hurt the gun
2) in my own experience, I've had total success using Blaser aluminum in my 9mm pistols...BUT...they fail miserably in a 38/357 lever action rifle I tried them in - the case bent when chambering. As we know, lever action rifles have a steep ramp, so that's probably why...the aluminum case bends.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No problems here with my PPq or my P229 both guns did not have problems with aluminum-cased 9mm's

·
Registered
14 Posts
You should avoid aluminum cases at all cost. Steel too. Use of aluminum case ammunition has been linked to erectile dysfunction, ingrown toe nails, gout, hair loss, uneven tire wear, and chronic septic system backups. Real men do not use aluminum case or steel case ammo. Why? Because people who reload, like me, cannot use those cases. Its just as simple as that - try thinking of others for once instead of making it all about you. Never mind aluminum and steel are less expensive to the shooter and probably better for the planet. Never mind ammo made from aluminum and steel weighs less in your range bag. Never mind with steel cases you can quickly police your shooting area with a lawn magnet - thus leaving a cleaner area for the next shooter. Never mind all that. You are not leaving anything good for me to pick up when I arrive - and that is just being plain stingy and frugal - if you can live with yourself being 'that guy' then by all means go with steel and aluminum.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
You should avoid aluminum cases at all cost. Steel too. Use of aluminum case ammunition has been linked to erectile dysfunction, ingrown toe nails, gout, hair loss, uneven tire wear, and chronic septic system backups. Real men do not use aluminum case or steel case ammo. Why? Because people who reload, like me, cannot use those cases. Its just as simple as that - try thinking of others for once instead of making it all about you. Never mind aluminum and steel are less expensive to the shooter and probably better for the planet. Never mind ammo made from aluminum and steel weighs less in your range bag. Never mind with steel cases you can quickly police your shooting area with a lawn magnet - thus leaving a cleaner area for the next shooter. Never mind all that. You are not leaving anything good for me to pick up when I arrive - and that is just being plain stingy and frugal - if you can live with yourself being 'that guy' then by all means go with steel and aluminum.
Pretty funny.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all. I decided to take a chance and ordered 1000 rds since I found it online at .16 a round. I figured I can use it at the range and save my brass until the crazy pricing comes to an end.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I did it once as a price point. Never had bad experience with aluminum cased ammo. But to bolster GlacierWolf’s point, its downright rude to the range lane special reloader who is looking for spare cases. I didn’t notice any malfunctions or hiccups, no damage to the chamber from any deformed aluminum, and best of all, no lacquer coating left in chamber from what the steel cases would have. Friend of mine had a S&W PPK and bought TULAmmo steel cased stuff at a price point one time, and I spent WAY more time than I thought I would cleaning that crap out of the chamber and checking everything for him. Needless to say, told him to stay far away. But I would buy aluminum cased stuff again if it meant a cheap range day, and take the hit on the loss of reloading components.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts