Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interesting I will have to try that. Mine is a pain to get it to turn even with the right tool

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I dropped a little CLP into the hole and around the takedown lever, and things greatly improved in a big hurry. It was a bit on the sticky side before that. It helped my gun, at least, and might be worth a try on yours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine seems to work ok, cleaned it today for the first time. I was just looking into an alternative to having a factory tool not on hand. Next thing for takedown might be a recoil spring guide....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I dropped a little CLP into the hole and around the takedown lever, and things greatly improved in a big hurry. It was a bit on the sticky side before that. It helped my gun, at least, and might be worth a try on yours.
Thanks, I will try that. I just finished taking it apart, this time it turned with no problems but couldnt get it to turn back. So I went to the next step and knocked out the roll pins and took the action out of the frame. There is a tiny j spring that fits in the bottom, I am not sure its purpose but the locking pin turns easily when that is part way out. Messing with the action on the bench there is a notable click by pushing in on the pin and then it will rotate easily. Not sure what any of this means but I put it all back together and the pin turned back to lock easily. Once you get it apart there is pin about 3/8" long that keeps the u clip from coming out of the frame, I have a suspicion that has some doing with my issues and others as far as getting the u clip to pull down to unlock.

On another mater in a previous thread about barrel wear, mine shows some scratching and some preliminary scoring on the underside of the slide where it slides over the breech on the barrel. I gun slicked it all down and will see if it halts after a while. I only have about 300 rounds thru the gun so far.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I tried this today and it worked fine with no marring. A tire schrader valve tool worked great for putting this gun into "takedown" position.

Here is a link to a pic of one for reference.

http://www.foxtoolsupply.com/cart/P3190060.JPG
Now THAT is an elegant solution to the key issue! Good work!

I'd been trying to arrive at the best thing to make a few of 'em out of but your solution is ideal. Takedown keys that you can buy at an auto parts store! :)

Way cool.....

Bluesman

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
It may be an elegant solution, Bluesman, but the greater mystery is that it's required at all. :mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It may be an elegant solution, Bluesman, but the greater mystery is that it's required at all. :mad:
I agree, my XD9-SC is a snap to take down and clean. How about adding slide that engages the take down lever on the two grooves. Or, It could be a device that attaches to the front rail that has two fingers that come out and stop underneath the take down lever, that way the gun wouldn't be any wider.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I agree completely!

Requiring a separate tool to field strip a gun is absurd. Why in the world would they do that?!?!? Surely they'll have a rethink and add a lever in some later version.

I really would be interested in knowing their intention with the whole key thing.....

Bluesman

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Umarex isn't alone. Don't some of the current revolvers on the market require some sort of key to render them unfireable, should they fall into the hands of someone ill-equipped to handle them: a child, for instance? Taurus comes to mind. Still, that's a sight different from what Umarex is doing with this model. The backstrap on the PPS is odd enough. If you consider the elegance of the takedown mechanism for, say, the P99 and then compare it to the PK380, you have to wonder ... just what in the wide, wide world of sports they were thinking about. Again. :confused:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Umarex isn't alone. Don't some of the current revolvers on the market require some sort of key to render them unfireable, should they fall into the hands of someone ill-equipped to handle them: a child, for instance? Taurus comes to mind. Still, that's a sight different from what Umarex is doing with this model. The backstrap on the PPS is odd enough. If you consider the elegance of the takedown mechanism for, say, the P99 and then compare it to the PK380, you have to wonder ... just what in the wide, wide world of sports they were thinking about. Again. :confused:
I totally agree. Why not just do it like the P99?

I have to admit that I don't get the "convenience" of the backstrap thing on the PPS too.

They had to have some sort of goal that they were trying to achieve with the PK380's key..... I just don't see what it was.....

As you mentioned, you can't get it any easier than a P99!

Oh, well.....

Bluesman

·
Registered
504 Posts
alternative tool

I found a similar tool at Pep Boys for $2.99

Looks like a small screwdriver but with a slot in the end.

Dave

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ditto. I just bought a tire valve tool (about $4 at NAPA), looks like a small screwdriver and works much better than the Walther-supplied tool-it engages better without slipping.

I haven't been able to find a spare Walther tool, but this works a charm. The biggest advantage, to me, is that it disengages after turning, so there is nothing sticking out the side of the pistol during cleaning. The Walther tool becomes captive, and I HATE it sticking out the side.

The first few times I used the Walther tool, the inner workings of the pistol were a bit stiff and didn't turn too easily, and the metal tip of the tool twisted and actually fell off--it is just a friction fit over the end of the plastic handle.

I love the pistol, hate the tool, this makes it tolerable for takedown.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The biggest advantage, to me, is that it disengages after turning, so there is nothing sticking out the side of the pistol during cleaning. The Walther tool becomes captive, and I HATE it sticking out the side.
I learned that once you take the slide off the PK you can push the take down back up and turn the key back to the locked position and remove the key. just have to remember to unlock it before putting it back together.

·
Registered
384 Posts
That damnable key, beyond the trigger "lock", does two things:

The key-trapping configuration technically discourages removing the action.

It also technically requires that the takedown-catch/cam-pin be locked
in place so that the slide will not fly off due to an unlocked takedown.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Disassembly Tool

Thanks to all for the great alternate disassembly tool suggestions. I am sure if I ordered one from S&W it would cost more than $3.00, not including shipping. I'm off to NAPA tomorrow.

GMS

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just for practice, I have taken the pistol down about a dozen more times using the NAPA tire valve tool. Works much better, in my opinion, than the Walther-supplied tool, and it totally takes the place of a length of cleaning rod to get the *&^%^&*())ing recoil spring back on easily.

I am sold, and plan on getting another one. I figure, if I HAVE to have a tool to take this fine pistol apart, then I want to have at least two spares..........kept in separate places, of course.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good observation on using the long end of the tool as a spring guide rod. I got mine as a freebie handout at some trade show or auto supply store. Since the Shrader valve stem removal tool works, an emergency source for a backup tool might be a valve cap with the tool built in. Look around the nearest parking lot, and you might get lucky and find one on somebody's tire. They're not very common any more, unfortunately. Or replace your valve caps with the built-in-tool style.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just remember that if you defeat that key-retaining feature with another device,
and you assemble the gun, and while looking for the renegade tool, a rerun
of My Mother the Car might be announced, and you forget to lock the slide latch,
then in the rerun afterglow you put the gun away, and later you need to fire it to save
the World, then the slide might drop off the end of the gun due to an unlocked latch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts