Walther Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
From what I have seen on your photos and on the web site of Altamont, I can say that I like their grip plates. They give the gun a distinctive but not obtrusive appearance.

But the manufacturer doesn't make it easy for potential customers to make the right choice. It is not only the wide range of products they offer, but it's also the various misleading information on their website that rather confuse the customer. There we "learn" for example that the PPK/S is a classic pre-war gun, and that Interarms startet to manufature both the PP and the PPK/S in the US in 1955. It is also implicitly stated that Smith & Wesson produced the two models PP and PPK/S from 2002 to 2012, but that they are produced by Walther Arms ever since then.

After the customer has been informed that their PPK/S grips basically only fit the PPK/S and PP manufactured by Smith & Wesson and Walther Arms, there is an additional restriction that the grip plates only fit the .380 ACP models. But what if the customer owns a .32 ACP model manufactured by Smith & Wesson?

The technical instruction reaches its high point in the final statement that the manufacturer doesn't currently offer grips for the new Walther PPK/S .22 LR or the solid frame Walther PPK/S without a cutout in the magazine well. Unfortunately, there is no mention at all of what is meant by the latter. Does anyone have a clue?

I wonder how many deals the manufacturer doesn't get because of such catastrophic specifications.

View attachment 92599
FITTING INFO: Unfortunately, because of the different manufacturers and decades of production in various countries, there are frame variations where the inside of the grips fit into the frame. We currently only offer drop-in fit grips for the Arkansas version (see 1st section below) and the Smith & Wesson version (see 2nd section below).

Our grips are for the .380 models only. These grips will NOT fit the PPK frame and we do NOT currently offer grips for the new Walther PPK/S .22 LR or the solid frame Walther PPK/S without a cutout in the magazine well.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
FITTING INFO: Unfortunately, because of the different manufacturers and decades of production in various countries, there are frame variations where the inside of the grips fit into the frame. We currently only offer drop-in fit grips for the Arkansas version (see 1st section below) and the Smith & Wesson version (see 2nd section below).

Our grips are for the .380 models only. These grips will NOT fit the PPK frame and we do NOT currently offer grips for the new Walther PPK/S .22 LR or the solid frame Walther PPK/S without a cutout in the magazine well.
Yes, that is exactly one part of the terribly inaccurate original text on their website. So there are really no grips that could fit my .32 PPK/S made by Smith & Wesson? And what about the solid frame Walther PPK/S? Do you have an idea what gun they are trying to refer to? The only gun that comes to my mind is the PPK/S .22. Why don't they mention it? On the other hand they say something about a new Walther PPK/S in .22lr...

Okay, I know that even in this forum a few members can't distinguish between a PPK/S .22 and a PPK/S in .22lr for whatever reason. But a grip manufacturer like the one in question should be able to name things correctly when they are gun related. I guess I'm just not American enough. ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Interesting that they are darker. Different wood that what was stated and ordered? Or just a different tree?
That's the stain. My 60s Danish rosewood has a dark stain and looks like your S&W sample. The newer one has a redder stain which is lighter. You can see the natural wood color in the grommet hole where the stain didn't reach in your photo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Altamont grips for the Ft. Smith PPK/S I ordered are scheduled to be delivered today by the USPS. I'll compare.

Also, a few side notes! Since the plastic grips from the factory have cracks, Walther Customer Service has sent me a repair form so I can get them replaced. They have requested that I send the cracked grips in with the form. They also had a recommendation for a site where you can order factory replacement magazines if desired: CDNN Sports. I wanted to pick up an extra magazine and noticed Walther was out of the ones which I wanted. The contact I had at customer service was Paul Speer.

;)
CDNN Sports is a good company to work with. I've ordered a couple of cleaning rods for as replacements for missing rods from them. Their shipping is a little high though. $9.99 for sending two cleaning rods.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts