Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how different they are from those made for the S&W licensed version but they are on Altamont's site now at https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/walther/ppks/...

I have a set of the S&W-based versions on my Ft. Smith made PPK/S and they only required some very light sanding to fit well.

Just for fun and because I'm slowly going insane from all the COVID-19 garbage and having to do remote technical support for a school system, I got another pair. The Arkansas version this time. I'll compare them and report back if anyone is curious.

I hope that each of you and your family members and loved ones are doing well and somehow managing to have some fun.

Tele2win

·
Registered
62 Posts
About to say; I just got notified. Ordered a set; Ultima Panel Super Rosewood Checkered Engraved with Walther Banner. Anything better than those plastic ones.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Love the looks of wood grips, but don't care for the added thickness. All mine wear plastic.
Now, that said, I've a bunch of Altamont grips on my Smiths, and they make a really nice product.
Moon

·
Registered
56 Posts
Congratulations Mr. "tel2win", I think I understand your feelings when making your purchase. I ordered from Europe 2 set of beautiful segmented walnut grips with Walther banner and another exclusive set of old school oil polished walnut root.

They only had PPK / S, they didn't have PP available, I decided to order them the same way, and only required some very ligth sanding to fit well.

My passion and your company in the Walther Forum, keeps me with a healthy mind in the confinement of the cuerentena.

Here I leave a photo so that it looks like, I hope your comments.

Health to everyone
607_3.jpg
607_3.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
They only had PPK / S [grip plates], they didn't have PP available, I decided to order them the same way, and only required some very ligth sanding to fit well.
There is one thing that doesn't surprise me... and the other thing doesn't surprise me at all either. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Altamont grips for the Ft. Smith PPK/S I ordered are scheduled to be delivered today by the USPS. I'll compare.

Also, a few side notes! Since the plastic grips from the factory have cracks, Walther Customer Service has sent me a repair form so I can get them replaced. They have requested that I send the cracked grips in with the form. They also had a recommendation for a site where you can order factory replacement magazines if desired: CDNN Sports. I wanted to pick up an extra magazine and noticed Walther was out of the ones which I wanted. The contact I had at customer service was Paul Speer.

;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
[QUOTE = "tele2win, publicación: 1246492, miembro: 28150"]
L
[/CITAR]
Felicitaciones Tele2win, deseo cumplir con sus expectativas y seguramente su Walther PPK / S se verá genial.
Cuando los pones, sería bueno ver una foto.

Excelente servicio al cliente de Walther, y gracias por compartir la información en el sitio que vende las revistas.
¿Sabes en qué país se encuentra el sitio de CDNN Sports? solo para saber.
Suerte !

·
Registered
56 Posts
Congratulations Tele2win, I wish to meet your expectations and surely your Walther PPK / S will look great.
When you put them it would be nice to see a photo.

Great Walther Customer Service, and thanks for sharing the information on the site that sells the magazines.
Do you know in which country the CDNN Sports site is located? just to know.
Luck !

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome Alexia, and THANKS! Muchos Gracias! Habla espanol muy poquito. Very little spanish...

Well, according to the Better Business Bureau website's profile they are based in Abilene, Texas. They are also out of the magazines, and the grips I ordered are running late. They are at a post office nearby according to tracking. 🤣 Oh well!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome Alexia, and THANKS! Muchos Gracias! Habla espanol muy poquito. Very little spanish...

Well, according to the Better Business Bureau website's profile they are based in Abilene, Texas. They are also out of the magazines, and the grips I ordered are running late. They are at a post office nearby according to tracking. 🤣 Oh well!
Dear Tele2win, I understand your anxious wait for the grip set that seems eternal, I went through the same thing. But creme the wait is part of the enjoyment. In my case I keep photos when I get the package and open it. Later with pleasure if you want I will send you photos.

Your Spanish Tele2win is much better than my English.
I confess to you that I do my best with my English but often, unintentionally, sometimes it puts me in trouble.

Good luck with your set grip, hopefully the wait is short.
Luck !

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Good Evening All,

So, the grips for the Ft. Smith version came in. The Ft. Smith version grips are the super rosewood w/Walther banner, with #5 routed into the backside. The previously purchased S&W PPK/S version grips are super rosewood with stipling/checkering w/Walther banner and they have #2 routed into the back. This is a simple comparison of both, sans measurements or uber technical stuff. Also, sans range time for the Ft. Smith version which I don't think will be an issue.

The Ft. Smith version grips do in fact have a better fit and I had to sand nothing. Notice the different dates on both of the Ft. Smith style grips...
The shapes are slightly different which accounts for the better fit than the S&W version grips.

Here are all four of the Altamont grips, with the Ft. Smith style super rosewood w/Walther banner in the center.

The same PPK/S wearing both grips. The Ft. Smith grips do fit better, with less play, and no sanding in my case. There is adequate clearance between the slide, and any other moving pieces with no modification needed. If you get them, you may optionally wish to put a dot of Permatex Blue Loctite on the fastening screw threads. Blue is the weakest in that brand. Avoid yellow and red. With red, a torch will be required to apply heat to remove the fastener. You don't want that. Yellow will be too strong as well. Do so at your own risk with any grade.

Ft. Smith style Altamont grips... Super rosewood w/Walther banner...

S&W style Altamont grips... Super rosewood w/stipling & checkering and Walther banner... Interesting that they are darker. Different wood that what was stated and ordered? Or just a different tree?

Final notes: The S&W style grips didn't have the brass "escutcheons" or inserts seated all the way. I had to carefully tighten the screw and draw them in to the depth of the holes drilled in the wood for each grip. Some shooting and tightening when the inserts settled\shitfted helped. I didn't want to drawn them down all at once by over-tightening the screw in them as brass is a softer metal. Once the inserts were seated they were perfect. With the S&W Altamont grips, I've put 600 rounds through the pistol with no issues once everything was seated. As my IT colleagues and I say. "Test, Test, Test!"
The Ft. Smith style grips look awesome in my humble opinion and the "escutcheons" or inserts are already seated all the way. Both are a great dress up for the PPK/S.

Sorry guys! Fashion show is over!

Moon, sir... I am working on getting those factory grips too. I see the value in what you are saying; just like way back when I first joined here you are spot on.

I hope each of you are well and I thank each of you for your time,

Tele

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mr. "tele2win", CONGRATULATIONS! , their grips set look beautiful.

Thank you !! "tele2win" for sharing the photos, very well taken by the way, they were beautiful.

I have always thought that the Walther PP Series, should have always come from the factory with quality walnut grips.

Both (Smith and S&W) look good. I think the reddish hue of Smith's super stick set favors his reddish hue.

I understand that the Almont cuffs are made of a sandwich of thin sheets of rosewood wood glued together and later tinted, the effect of sheets is what makes that betas look beautiful. But it is not really a single solid piece of wood, but an artificial effect that it imitates.

Like everything in life, the fact that there are several thin sheets of glued wood, in addition to the beautiful visual effect, are more stable in humid environments.

Personally, I prefer solid, old-school walnut grips, traditional crafts. It is more expensive, but they are beautiful and then I share photos of 2 set grips.

1. Made of exclusive English WALNUT ROOT.
2. Made of English Walnut wood, segregated with the Walther banner.

As in the photos, I keep the moment when the envelope arrived and I opened it.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
So, the grips for the Ft. Smith version came in. The Ft. Smith version grips are the super rosewood w/Walther banner, with #5 routed into the backside. The
From what I have seen on your photos and on the web site of Altamont, I can say that I like their grip plates. They give the gun a distinctive but not obtrusive appearance.

But the manufacturer doesn't make it easy for potential customers to make the right choice. It is not only the wide range of products they offer, but it's also the various misleading information on their website that rather confuse the customer. There we "learn" for example that the PPK/S is a classic pre-war gun, and that Interarms startet to manufature both the PP and the PPK/S in the US in 1955. It is also implicitly stated that Smith & Wesson produced the two models PP and PPK/S from 2002 to 2012, but that they are produced by Walther Arms ever since then.

After the customer has been informed that their PPK/S grips basically only fit the PPK/S and PP manufactured by Smith & Wesson and Walther Arms, there is an additional restriction that the grip plates only fit the .380 ACP models. But what if the customer owns a .32 ACP model manufactured by Smith & Wesson?

The technical instruction reaches its high point in the final statement that the manufacturer doesn't currently offer grips for the new Walther PPK/S .22 LR or the solid frame Walther PPK/S without a cutout in the magazine well. Unfortunately, there is no mention at all of what is meant by the latter. Does anyone have a clue?

I wonder how many deals the manufacturer doesn't get because of such catastrophic specifications.

1589733494679.png

·
Registered
62 Posts
I got mine about a week ago. Real nice and fit just fine. Bit bulkier than the plastic, which I think cheapens the pistol. Now, just got to wait until our
ranges open to see how
it fires with the new grips.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Personally, I prefer solid, old-school walnut grips, traditional crafts. It is more expensive, but they are beautiful and then I share photos of 2 set grips.

1. Made of exclusive English WALNUT ROOT.
2. Made of English Walnut wood, segregated with the Walther banner.
Alexia,

I notice these continue back to the end of the frame including the beavertail area, and so would presumably stop any 'bite' from the frame's angle. The Ft. Smith originals (even the cocobolo 1st Edition ones) and the above Altamonts don't.

Just searching "TPC Europe" did find me a Czech site but I didn't find these grips :) Where'd you source these? Can you share a URL?

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Just searching "TPC Europe" did find me a Czech site but I didn't find these grips :) Where'd you source these? Can you share a URL?
The manufacturer's website is here: GRIPS4u.eu. The company "TPC Europe s.r.o." is just the distributor. That's why you see their address on the envelope.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cool, but now I have to make inquiries as the .eu site has them in stock but says order from the US site, and the US site is out of stock. Woot...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congratulations Mr. "tel2win", I think I understand your feelings when making your purchase. I ordered from Europe 2 set of beautiful segmented walnut grips with Walther banner and another exclusive set of old school oil polished walnut root.

They only had PPK / S, they didn't have PP available, I decided to order them the same way, and only required some very ligth sanding to fit well.

My passion and your company in the Walther Forum, keeps me with a healthy mind in the confinement of the cuerentena.

Here I leave a photo so that it looks like, I hope your comments.

Health to everyone View attachment 91980 View attachment 91980 View attachment 91980
I have the same set of grips on my 1970 PPK/S. I love them. I also have a set of KN Nill grips on my 1973. They don't have the Walther banner though. They just say KN at the bottom. They're very nice grips as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts