Walther Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this catalog for Altamont Grips, 901 North Church Street, Box 309, Thomasboro, Illinois 61878 217-643-3125 which I believe was circa 1989-ish. My dad and my God-father went into business together selling these grips (all makes and models) at gun shows in the Mid-West. Ken Enright was the owner and was a very nice gentleman. I don't know if the company name, address and tx is still correct. A quick Google search should confirm it. I handled hundreds of the grips and they were all superb quality in bonded ivory and all of the woods. The scrimshaw artistry was gorgeous. My favorite style was the scrimshawed Walther banner like the second page shown below in the lower right hand corner on the blued PPK/S. I remember one set of walnut with a genuine ivory inlay of the Walther banner that was scrimshawed with the W-A-L-T-H-E-R letters. Unreal!

Today I just wish I could get the PPK bonded ivory wrap around grips like in the lower left corner of the first page. I can imagine those with the Walther banner scrimshawed on them!

I'll have to see tomorrow if I can still get ahold of the company. Maybe the grips are still available. I know they make the grips for all of Smith & Wesson's new N frame guns today.

(Sorry I can't quite fit the whole catalog on my scanner.....)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
www.altamontco.com .........the address is still the same and it lists an 800 number and an email contact. I'll have to call tomorrow to see if I can get a pair of those bonded ivory PPK handles! It blew me away how many different grips they made for such a small company.

I do have a set of ebony 1911 grips with genuine elephant ivory inlays of a bald eagle which are the scrimshawed with detail. Some guy ordered them with a deposit and then never picked them up nad changed his phone number. I got 'em really cheap. Didn't even have a 1911 at the time but the grips were so wonderful, I just had to buy them. I got a 1911 some time later and they're still on it now!

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Look like nice grips. Hopefully a bit thicker and stronger than the factory version.

Got some Altamont grips a few years back for N frame S&W. The fit was not very good. There was an awful gap between the frame and the top part of the "magna" style grip.

I would stick with the plain ones and ship them off to your engraver for a bit of delicate scrolling in just the right places!

·
Registered
529 Posts
mm6: I went to the website, but the only listing was for 1911 grips. Were you able to find out if they make them for Walthers? And do they make them for the S&W PPK? :confused:

Dep
Dep, I was going to post the same reply. I found out about Altamount via S&W forums. When I went to their website, all I was able to see was what you saw. A few pics of 1911s with nice grips. They are wasting their money on bandwidth if that's all they are doing with the website. Because it was so poor, I never followed through about checking with them.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did call. They have only wood (rosewood in stock) and only for Interarms PPK versions. Not the new S&W versions.

Back in the day, Altamont made excellent grips in many, many styles. And for many, many different guns. The catalog I still have is very extensive.

I don't what the deal is with their website. Weird.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts