Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And now! All the way from Bayonet Point, Florida! What may very well be the last remaining (almost) new full-size 9mm Walther P99 AS left in the Continental United States. With AD date, Crown/N, and Elk-horns I think I got the real thing here.

I took a chance. I saw it in a gun-shop last month on a visit to Tampa Bay Area and decided to buy it after I got back to the SF Bay Area. It took entirely too long to get here and the ten-day-wait imposed by Kalifornia didn?t help.

I took a chance. I saw it in a gun-shop last month on a visit to Tampa Bay Area and decided to buy it after I got back to the SF Bay Area. It took entirely too long to get here and the ten-day-wait imposed by Kalifornia didn?t help.

Well, it seems to work; at least it dry-cycles OK. I hope to get it out to the range before the weekend. I will let you know. For now, I?m happy with my/our fourth Walther.

Russell

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Now that is sweet :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Good find. And yes, they are becoming harder to find. I like them all but the pre-04s are just "the real thing." A word of advice...never sell a Walther.:D

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I like the older style better too.

Is that rust I see in the backstrap rollpin?! Check the internals.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Newbie question: what is the difference between the pre-04 style? What is it that is preferable? What are "Elk-horns"? What is "Crown/N"?

Parabellus,

I like your new pistol. I just dont have enough education to truly appreciate the difference in the older and newer models. Right now, I would take any one of them.

Thanks for your patience.

lima-charlie

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you folks.

MLB,

You must be right about the roll pin. It must be the one spot of metal that didn?t get oiled in the four years the gun sat in the Florida humidity. Inside looks good.

LC,

There are numerous discussions on the evolution of the P99 frame here. The most obvious changes are in the trigger-guard, accessory rail, and hand-grips.

Proof marks like Elk-horns and the Eagle-over-?N? since 1940 (not Crown-over-?N?) show that tee gun gas passed inspection in a proof-house in this case in Ulm. Do. The weak stamping of these proof marks on my pistol led me to mistake it for Crown/N.:eek: Those more knowledgeable than I can elaborate on all this.

Russell

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
The right term for this would be staghorn.... and it indicates the ULM proofhouse which is the same for HK's
the Walther P22 and G22 have a different proofhouse as they are made by Umarex and only marked Walther .... most likely (my guess) the SP22 will not be proofed in Ulm neither.....
and yes it is Eagle/N and then the "date code" in this case 2003 which makes this the last year of the first generation of P99 frames

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LC,

Parabellum is another member who joined for years ago and then took a hiatus.
Now he's back to confuse us.
Nevertheless he has at least three years more experience than I.;)

Russell

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
you guys are funny....

:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
What may very well be the last remaining (almost) new full-size 9mm Walther P99 AS left in the Continental United States. With AD date, Crown/N, and Elk-horns I think I got the real thing here.

OK, educate me here please. What makes this an AS ? Can you tell by markings ? I think I understand from reading that AS means the first shot has the same pull for both single and double action.

First, I assume double action refers to the trigger pull with a round chambered, but the striker has been de-cocked. Single action is with a round chambered and the striker is cocked and ready to go.

On my 01 P99, Double action is a long pull with continious trigger pressure. Single action is the same length, but there is almost no trigger pressure for the first half of the pull and the trigger locks in place halfway down ready to fire at about 1/2 the double action pull.

Is the AS pull different than what I describe with mine ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
536 Posts
You can tell if it's an AS or QA by the size of of decocker. I believe (correct me if i'm wrong) that the DAO variant has no decocker at all.

The trigger behavior you're describing on your '01 P99 is an AS trigger.

thorn

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Correct.. the size of the decocker shows the "AS" or DA/SA trigger of the P99's
The P99/DAO does not have a decocker at all... and it was marked as P990 on the first generation P99's

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The range report

It works!:)
Shot 200 rounds of Aguila 124gr FMJ with out a hitch. It shoots a bit low as do most of my pistols (must be me?). Still it is far more accurate than I am. I also shot a mag of Remington JHP and a few 'hot' rounds I would never use in my vintage guns. The SA trigger is considerably stiffer than my Springfield M1911-A1 .45 for example. DA takes some real getting-used-to. It is not a gun I could easily fire by accident. I wonder though, is there any way to adjust the trigger tension? Anyway, I love it and it will be my backup for the Springer at home and work. When I do get a CCW it will surely be my primary carry. I'm so glad that it is Kalifornia legal.:cool:

Russell

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Russel.....
get yourself a few snapcaps and pull away in DA..... give it 500 to 1000 and you will notice a big difference in the trigger

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
get yourself a few snapcaps and pull away in DA
Thanks for the tip Oliver.
BTW I find that decocking is much easier using the left thumb (support hand) than trying to reach up with the right thumb. Is this how it is intended?

Russell

1 - 20 of 23 Posts