Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I don’t know how this happened to you, man. Unless the steel spine of the backing pierced through the lining and scratched the gun. But I know of almost no way the Kydex would mess up a guns surface. Sorry to hear this happened to you. Customer service is really good with them. I have contacted them about a different type of issue regarding their holsters, went over and above to make sure I was satisfied.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Kydex can very easily scratch a gun. High levels of retention or rough edges are the most likely culprit.

I had a cheap ebay holster absolutely ravage a Taurus TCP the very first time it was inserted into the holster.

A quality Kydex holster with moderate retention shouldn't cause significant wear immediately but it does happen.

Generally kydex is going to cause much more wear than leather.

IMO, If you really care about the finish of a pistol never ever use a kydex holster.

I prefer leather with a thumb snap for retention.

All that said... how bad is it (pics are worth a thousand words)? Deep gouges are unacceptable but some surface scratches are pretty par for the course.

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Hippo is right. All holsters will cause wear on a guns finish. That's the price to be paid if you want to carry. But a holster should never cause a scatch as long as it's clean.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Exhibit A and Exhibit B

This pistol was carried daily for a year or two in leather and still looked virtually brand new. Then I only used in that kydex holster a handful of times and BOOM it shows significant wear.

The holster, so far as I can feel, doesn't even seem to have any rough edges that I can identify. I'm not sure if that speaks to the finish on the Taurus or the quality of the holster but long story short: Lesson Learned. Don't put anything precious in a kydex holster (possible exception made for very, very high quality kydex with expert craftsmanship)

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDP compact 4", PPS, Q5 Match, P22, and a few from lesser brands as well.
160 Posts
I purchased a Alien Gear Holsters. But it scratched my gun. I am not satisfied with this.
What kind of holster? What gun? How did it scratch the gun? Can you post pictures?

I've got a couple AG holsters and am curious if this is something I need to look for on my holsters.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I have had AG holsters for years now, carried my PPS M1 in it, that puppy clicked into place every time, never a lick of wear!! I am telling you, call their CS line. Over and above to make it right. I agree that it SHOULDN'T happen. But simple principles of wear state that the harder our tougher material will withstand the softer or weaker material. I understand that the uber tight retention could cause an issue. But gouge into the gun like that? I don't get it.

·
Banned
36 Posts
I have had an issue with mine, but while it looked like it was scratching my Glock, it was in fact leaving a small amount of holster material on the slide. Honestly the material looked like a scratch, and the material was not an easy removal of simply wiping it away with out some pressure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts