Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Robin Taylor of Taylor/Freelance reports their lovely Magwell and mag extensions for the Q5 Match will ALSO fit the Q5 SF!!!!
Very good news as the prices I've see for the "pro" model have been a few hundred dollors more than the standard Q5 Match...
The only differences between the Standard Q5 SF and the "Pro" model is the +2
mag bases and Magwell on the "pro" model.
My "Open Class" Q5 mags hold 21 rounds with the Taylor/Freelance extensions and the matching aluminum Magwell is an easy fit to EITHER gun...
Just sayin'

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don’t buy the TF magwell. It looks pretty but does not work. The inside edge of their flared magwell does not match the inside edge of either the poly or SF.

·
Premium Member
13,869 Posts
Don’t buy the TF magwell. It looks pretty but does not work. The inside edge of their flared magwell does not match the inside edge of either the poly or SF.
NSS. Gumbo, its that bottom edge of the magwell and the top edge of the magazine base pad that, together, limit 'over insertion' of the magazine.

The TF magwell funnel is designed perfectly. I've got Walther and TF magwells...they're exactly the same....fit the same.....the only difference is the 'TF' logo and 'Walther' logo engraved on the side.

Use a spare PPQ, or remove the funnel and do this. Remove the slide....use the frame only. Insert a magazine into the empty magwell of a frame. Push the mag UP until it stops. WHAT stopped the magazine? Answer: The base pad hitting the bottom of the magwell. Now remove the basepad, spring and follower from the magazine. Insert the empty mag body into the magwell. WHAT stopped the magazine? Answer: The magazine stopped when the mag body hits the ejector. THATS THE REASON THE BASE PAD NEEDS TO MAKE CONTACT WITH THE BOTTOM OF THE FRAME. And THAT's the reason the TF and Walther magwells are designed like they are....It's to allow the base pad to make contact with the bottom of the frame, which keeps the magazine from 'whackin' into the ejector.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Valid points "Old Fart" I tend to bash a mag in when shooting a stage and try to get just enough contact so the mag will contact the slide stop and give me a free feed of the first round in the fresh mag. Saves tenth's of seconds...
"Gumbo" is being a bit harsh on a product I've found to be well designed and indestructible.
Casting variances will not allow every Magwell to be a "perfect" fit to the bottom of the frame. There is always a bit of Dremal work and a bit of Devcon II aluminum epoxy to finish the fitting of the Magwell. A wee bit over critical to tout not using the Taylor Magewll because it doesen't come from the factory completely fitting every frame in a production run of thousands of pistols. Magwell's, like wife's need a little fine fitting to be a perfect match...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Blue Magwell -- how close to the color of the trigger

Robin Taylor of Taylor/Freelance reports their lovely Magwell and mag extensions for the Q5 Match will ALSO fit the Q5 SF!!!!
Very good news as the prices I've see for the "pro" model have been a few hundred dollors more than the standard Q5 Match...
The only differences between the Standard Q5 SF and the "Pro" model is the +2
mag bases and Magwell on the "pro" model.
My "Open Class" Q5 mags hold 21 rounds with the Taylor/Freelance extensions and the matching aluminum Magwell is an easy fit to EITHER gun...
Just sayin'
Hi folks, brand new to this forum. I have a quick question. How close is the color of the blue TF magwell to the trigger on the Q5 Match?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey there, I purchased the Taylor Freelance magwell and +6 base pad for my Q5 Match SF and there is a little bit of wiggle with the magwell. Do you know why this is and how I could fix that? I talked to Robin Taylor and he said that it's just one of the unlucky SF that Walther has just a bit of play where the magwell is installed. He recommended I send back the magwell and he would replace it with one where I must drill the hole for the push pin. What are your thoughts....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Magwell by TF is not for me

Hi folks, brand new to this forum. I have a quick question. How close is the color of the blue TF magwell to the trigger on the Q5 Match?

Not that close in color, the TF is more bright blue vs, the dull darker color that the trigger and Walther Mag base are.

I really don't like the look, but that's my view, but hey it's only 40 bucks. Mine works just fine and is tight to the gun (Q5 SF) with no wiggle.

Anyone wanting it can hold it for 20 bucks plus shipping cost, Just send me a private message.

Not loving it, [email protected]

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hey there, I purchased the Taylor Freelance magwell and +6 base pad for my Q5 Match SF and there is a little bit of wiggle with the magwell. Do you know why this is and how I could fix that? I talked to Robin Taylor and he said that it's just one of the unlucky SF that Walther has just a bit of play where the magwell is installed. He recommended I send back the magwell and he would replace it with one where I must drill the hole for the push pin. What are your thoughts....

Huh?? when I complained about the loose fit on the SF he told me to use some electrical tape to build up the grip. Which I did and which does work. However, it's a kinda getto fix.

So yours will have no hole, and you position it where you wish and drill the hole, correct?

Hmmm.

·
Premium Member
13,869 Posts
Actually, it'd be removable. Coat your SF frame with KY Jelly...nice thin coat....really thin. Use masking tape on your funnel where you don't want any epoxy. Put a little dab around the appropriate area, install the magwell, carefully wipe off any excess, wait until the epoxy has cured, remove mag well, remove tape, do any cleanup that might be necessary, reinstall magwell.

Should wind up with a thin bead of epoxy in the areas that need it. It's now 'custom fit'. With any luck, it'll stay put. :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hmmm, first I'll have to ask the wife if she's got any KY leftover from back in the day. But it sounds possible. Will the epoxy bond well to the anodizing ya think?

·
Premium Member
13,869 Posts
I don't have a clue about the bonding ability to anodized aluminum.....probably really smooooooth too.

Could probably use any oil/grease.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts