Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they make pachmyer grips for the PPK/S, but ran into a guy at the gun shop who says he has some on his PPK as well. He was carrying his PPK/s with some, so I know he knows the difference.
He said he found his on ebay.
Is this true, that pachmyer did make them for the PPK at one time?

Also, I see that when ordering the wood hogues, you have to specify whether the PPK is german, interarms or SW. Can anyone explain the differences in these in the grip area. Can one be modified to fit the other. Is the grip panel screw in a different place, or is it simply in the inletting which could be adapted with a dremel.

Did hogue make any rubber grips for the PPK?

Are the Nill grips thicker than stock plastic and how much?
Thanks,
HVR

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I dont recall ever seeing Pachmayr grips for the PPK, PP & PPK/S sure!

Putting Pachmayrs on a PP/PPK/S is like wrapping a Firestone tire around the grip!

The difference I have noted between real German guns and the original Interarms PPK was in the hieght of the grip. The Interarms guns had a larger gap between the top of the grip and the slide. God knows how the new PPK from S&W fits in especially with that beavertail.

The PP/PPK has one of the nicest factory handles around. Almost all the aftermarkets add too much bulk to the gun. The Nill grip while expensive looks to be the best.

·
Registered
27 Posts
HVR - could you post a link to the Hogue page thats requests you specify the manufacturer - I have searched their site and cannot find such a request. I'm trying to find grips for a S&W PPK. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
My 2 cents...stay away from smooth wood grips....they look great but these guns do "bark" a little. photo

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Why not simply call Pachmayr and Hogue and Nill and ask them?

FWIW, there is no difference in the dimensions of the Walther and Interarms black plastic grips for the PP, PPK, and PPK/S, and the corresponding mortises in the grip frames are also identical. The grip panels themselves can be identified as German or American only by certain molding characteristics on the reverse side. If there is any difference in installed height (the amount of gap visible under the slide) it is due to individual variations in machining of the frame and location of the "window", though I suspect it is more usually an optical illusion created by the gap looking larger on stainless Interarms guns than on German blue ones. Though the manufacturing processes were quite different between the two versions, all parts were specifically designed to be, and are, mechanically interchangable. I have no experience with S&W guns, and can't say much about them--except that every one I have examined had so many rough edges inside and out that it begged to be tumbled in a deburring machine.

There is often a significant difference in the exterior size of the front and rear grip straps, as these are not polished on the later Interarms guns to as tight a cross-sectional curvature as on the German, leaving a wider "border" around the grip. This leaves the sharp corner more prominently exposed and aggravates the felt recoil. On a stainless gun there is considerable material that can be profitably removed to match the German contour without the need to refinish.

Finally, as to the Pachmayr grips: I have seen only the version for the PP and PPK/s--never one for a PPK (though I won't say that none exists). The problem with the Pachmayr grip is that, with use, the thin metal insert in the right-hand grip will deform, collapsing inward and fouling the trigger bar, leading to failure of the trigger to reset and consequent malfunctions. The left side often interferes with the safety. When a PP-series gun comes my way with Pachmayr grips, I take them off and throw them away.

The Nill grips, on the other hand, are really superb, and worth their (very hefty) price, especially on the PPK.

M

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the Pachmayr grips on my PPK/S for a day. They turned a beautiful extension of my hand into a brick that stuck to my pants pockets and shirts.
That is a good point about smooth grips. For a .380 these guns certainly bark.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
link for bhxman

I think this is the page where I saw the hogue checkered grips:

http://www.grips4guns.com/pistol/walther/ppk.html

Here's another link to another forum thread where you can see a closeup of the grips.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253319

In my opinion, the nill grips look much nicer, but are 120.00 compared to 90.00 for the hogues.
Also heard that the nill grips are fairly thick.

New Pachmyers can be quite "sticky". But the sig 232 stainless comes hogue finger groove grips, so throught the PPK might be nice with some rubber ones as well. Would have to use the slide holster rather than pocket carry, though.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
If one insists on using Pachmayr grips on a semi-auto pistol (and for some, such as the Star PD, there is no handy alternative), an acceptable result can sometimes be obtained by "circumsizing" the grip (cutting off the foreskin) to leave just the side panels. The separate back panel can just be thrown away or saved for some entirely different application--it has nice checkering on it.

The Pachmayr revolver grips, in contrast, are excellent.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
FWIW, there is no difference in the dimensions of the Walther and Interarms black plastic grips for the PP, PPK, and PPK/S, and the corresponding mortises in the grip frames are also identical.

Here is what Earl is posting on his site......
I wanted to post this earlier but could not put my finger to where I had read this info before.....now that I have found it....
http://www.carlwalther.com/grips.htm

alsoif you go to the Nill site they list 2 different versions.....
PPK and then the US PPK....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts