Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

· Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just imagine say the optic-cut issue wasn't a thing. Does anyone honestly think the PDP looks better?
Gas Auto part Gun accessory Metal Machine

I came across this earlier and aside from the stylized lettering, everything else feels like a step back. Am I crazy here? I really feel like the "God doesn't create in straight lines" philosophy was applied to the PPQ whereas the PDP feels the opposite, over the top and unnatural.

· Registered
1,421 Posts
When I first saw the PDP, I thought it was hideously ugly. It's starting to grow on me now and I don't think its as ugly as when I first saw it, but I will say the PPQ is a much better looking gun. I do like the combination of the PDP lower and the PPQ slide, like with the Steel Frame models the best. I also think the P99 is better looking than the PPQ or the PDP. Going even further back, I would say the P88 and the P5 are very good looking pistols also.

· Registered
1,180 Posts
Since the two are loosely related to the P99, here's my assessment.

P99 -- debonaire, suave, handsome, cunning Pierce Brosnan.
PPQ -- the Daniel Craig era quartermaster. Nerdy looking, skinny jeans, scraggly hair.
PDP -- the Blofeldt, Alec Trevelyan, Renard of the Walther trio: scarred up, cut up, menacing, and tough.

Back to OPs question: I prefer the PDP over the PPQ in the aesthetics department. The PPQ was the evolutionary step, the P99 is the legend.

· Registered
359 Posts
To me the PPQ looks more feminine and the PDP more masculine.

I much prefer the grip shape and texture of the PDP, and while the PPQ's slide is sleeker, the chunky slide of the PDP makes it a better fit for a "regular sized" optic.

My preference is the PDP.

· Administrator
3,870 Posts
I have a hard time thinking about modern polymer pistols in terms of looks only.

They look "purposeful" to me and they are. This era is about function over form and the P99,PPQ and PDP reflect that.

The PDP is different because of what features are considered optimal in the current era.

I certainly wouldn't pick one over the other based on looks, but on the features of each gun and their relative importance to me.

For pure looks, I'd take a Colt Python, a nice 1911 or a P5 over any of the modern polymer service pistols.

I'd certainly take a vintage PPK or PP over the current polymer crop if it were only about looks.

· Registered
854 Posts
Just imagine say the optic-cut issue wasn't a thing. Does anyone honestly think the PDP looks better?
View attachment 107967

I came across this earlier and aside from the stylized lettering, everything else feels like a step back. Am I crazy here? I really feel like the "God doesn't create in straight lines" philosophy was applied to the PPQ whereas the PDP feels the opposite, over the top and unnatural.
I am sure their both great pistols, but I don't think they compare to the P-99.

· Premium Member
PPQ SF (2), PPQ (4), PDP (2), P99 AS
87 Posts
I prefer the look of the PPQ. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I feel the PDP is more utilitarian and I am already down one (sold to a friend) late last month.

· Registered
7,530 Posts
I certainly wouldn't pick one over the other based on looks, but on the features of each gun and their relative importance to me.
This describes my outlook on this as well. I switched from carrying a P99 to a PPQ back in 2011. I thought then, and I still think now, that the PPQ is an ugly pistol. What it does in my hands is what is important.

For pure looks, I'd take a Colt Python, a nice 1911 or a P5 over any of the modern polymer service pistols.
I'd go even older and pick a Swiss M1882 revolver. From the design, to the look, to the fact that almost all of the internals are stamped with the serial number, I just think it is a good looking handgun.

Compared to designs in the past, most of these newer polymer pistols are just ugly. None of which would exude what I would consider pride of ownership. I'd purchase an M1882 just to have it. I wouldn't purchase any polymer pistol unless I planned on using it.

· Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I prefer the look of the PPQ. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I feel the PDP is more utilitarian and I am already down one (sold to a friend) late last month.
I see people say the same thing about Glocks, like they say "It looks like a tool" versus I guess something that doesn't? I mean, at the end of the day it's a hunk of metal on top of a poly-frame, and there's probably almost a hundred models (if not more) why not at least get something that looks good? You know?

· Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Comparing these guns from the angle you've provided isn't quite a fair fight, IMO. That pic doesn't really reflect how blocky the PDP is compared to the PPQ/P99.

What really makes the P99/PPQ series of pistols lookers is that angled almost triangular slide profile.
Right, the Walther Commercial about "It's your duty to be ready" has the best presentation with the 3D model for someone who hasn't actually held one. I tried a few at my shop, the ones with Pro triggers. I'm not sure exactly how the models work on the DP's, I think I've exhausted everything PPQ (have two of each model except the Navy) related so I guess it's time to move on.

Edit:
this is the commercial I'm talking about but I imagine most here have seen it (also props for the best gun commercial ever). Highlighting that training and practice make for a crossover with real life for practical use is pretty awesome.

Edit 2: Realizing now that the polygonal shape of the PPQ matches the polygonal barrel...duh lol. You can see when they pull back the slide on the PDP the barrel has some angles on it that don't match the slide. I still think style-wise all they needed was a basic overhaul of the line with some plates and they would have still sold buckets. Maybe use the PDP design on Q's for a while so people would see them as "Premium", then switch everything over to the PDP line and keep the Q line as your "Upcoming" or "soon to be" line. I just feel like they skipped a step I guess. Not sure if that'll make sense to anyone else haha ..I feel like someone put their heart and soul into the PPQ, the PDP feels like it was designed by a committee. I bet you anything there was a literal "6 serrations vs 3 slightly wider serrations" vote, and looking at it again, that's what I meant as far as stepping back. No one knows exactly where their hand is going to be in a situation where they are forced to be armed. Why shorten at the area serrations by half? The gun might look more masculine but it doesn't feel very masculine in its line of thought. This feels like cost-cutting to me, I'll just say it. And that's the general problem with Walther, it's like YOU KNOW they get it, someone somewhere in that building knows what's best. But I don't think that person is the same guy approving PDP's for final production.

· Registered
7,530 Posts
I bet you anything there was a literal "6 serrations vs 3 slightly wider serrations" vote, and looking at it again, that's what I meant as far as stepping back.
I would hope that they went with the decisions and directions for this design that they went with for function rather than how the pistol looked.

Get your hands wet, muddy, bloody, or oily, and try to rack the slides of pistols with serrations that are more streamlined, like Glock or the original Beretta APX. Try to do malfunction drills on those pistols under those same conditions. The serrations on the PDP look like they just work. First and foremost, these pistols should be looked at like tools in a toolbox, in my opinion.

I've racked slides when they were wet and muddy, and it wasn't as easy as when they were dry and clean.

· Banned
606 Posts
For looks, the PDP will not be chased and will not survive the future.

Call that being annoying, but it's just horribly boxy for no functional reason. I would bet $20 that the Q5 slide cut outs are deeper than the PDP terrian too--cause I think they are actually spaced equally.

The only improvement in looks is the move from the odd PPQ area at the rail that bumps out to the original P99 look or the P2000/P30...

1 - 20 of 79 Posts