Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am an old guy who has the early stages of arthritis in both hands. I find racking the average 9mm semi to be increasingly difficult. I am considering going to 380 using Underwood Extreme Defense ammo. The 380s are easier to rack. I rented a M&P 380 EZ. It was an OK experience, but it Is ergonomically inferior to the CCP M2 380, which I really like.

I have reviewed the CCP forum here, and I’ve seen a lot of negative comments. Unfortunately it is often not easy to distinguish which CCP model is the subject. There is not much about the 380 version. So, I am seeking tales about experience with the CCP M2 380 to help me for a conclusive opinion about an eventual purchase. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am not a fan of the CCP. I know the PK380 is made by Umerex and gets a bad rap, but my wife has one that eats anything you feed it and has run flawlessly. It racks like butter. Look at the S&W Shield EZ in 9 or 380 also.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm also in the early stages of arthritis and have been trying out "easier" pistols. I have the CCP in 380, S&W EZ in both 380 and 9mm.

I enjoy the CCP 380 at the range and have had no feeding issues. The CCP 380 sights are wanting and I put some white paint on the front sight dot to make it quicker to pickup. I also did some work to smooth the trigger. The CCP 380 magazine spring is fairly strong and use a loader for a full mag. As you mentioned the CCP has had a history of problems, but the 380 version has been good for my use.

The king of easy is the S&W EZ 380. I have the PC model and really like the sights. The only thing that I don't like about the EZ 380 is the magazine design. Some users (including myself) have encountered a last round stovepipe issue. Lots of discussion on the internet about this. I did a modification to the follower as a workaround for the mag that was giving me problems. Here is a visual comparison of mag internals:

S&W changed the mag design a bit with the EZ 9mm and I have had no issues with this model. Working with the EZ 9mm is OK for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the insight @pj_49. As I continue my research I begin to believe that it most CCP complaints are over the CCP 9MM version 1. I have test fired the M&P 380 EZ and the CCP M2 380 by renting at my LGS range. I prefer the economics of the Walther. I think I am going to order the CCP 380. My LGS has none in stock, also true of many guns. I will order on and wait.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dweis,

You are correct that nearly all the issues with the CCP were with the first generation pistols. The CCP M2 generation have been pretty squared away, and the even newer .380 variants have probably been the best version yet.

Before I bought the CCP M2 380 for my wife, I scoured these forums to glean what I could from the various complaint threads to help make an informed purchase decision. What I discovered was that the 1st gen CCPs were plagued with issues, but the frequency of complaints diminished over the years, but not quite enough for me to buy or recommend one. The real drop in complaints occured with the introduction of the CCP M2 generation, and the .380 version seems to have the highest satisfaction level yet.

I can say that my wife absolutely loves hers, and the she really appreciates the fact that she can actually rack a handgun, which is something she could never do with any of mine.

I hope this helps.

This is my initial review from a few months ago:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts