Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to figure out the purpose of the adjustable trigger bar guide? My trigger has been feeling slightly gritty as of late. After taking somethings apart I found that if I take the adjustable trigger bar guide out the trigger becomes very smooth. Would this present an issue if I were to keep it out? If so, is there anyway to get ride of the gritty feeling the trigger bar guide causes?

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
I have this goofy feeling your talking about the FPB. And if that's what you removed, put it back in....put a drop of oil on it first. Post some pictures of the area and part you're talking about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe it is the FPB I will post some pictures though I will also link the parts list for ppq it is item 32.8.
When I remove it the trigger is very nice but if it's going to cause an issue I will put a drop of oil on it and go from there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
OK, I see the part you're referring to. I guessI just never paid attention to all the names of all the bits and pieces. I'd certainly recommend putting that piece back in.

Now to look into your grittiness. After you've replaced the adjustable trigger bar guide and with slide removed, finger the trigger. How does the trigger feel?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the slide removed and the adjustable trigger guide bar installed the trigger is very gritty. I put a drop of oil on it and that made it better but I could still feel some grit. All it seems to do is push down very slightly on the trigger assembly bar just enough to get some friction and cause the gritty feeling.

When the adjustable trigger guide bar is removed the trigger mechanism is like butter. No grit at all.

As of now I'm not going to remove it. I just don't understand the purpose of it especially when it makes my trigger feel the way it does.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I've been trying to figure out the purpose of the adjustable trigger bar guide?
The trigger bar guide determines where/when the striker is released during the DA trigger pull of the P99.

Would this present an issue if I were to keep it out? If so, is there anyway to get ride of the gritty feeling the trigger bar guide causes?
It should present a big issue if it is taken out, given that even a small adjustment one way or the other could allow the striker to either be released too early, causing light primer strikes, or too late, causing interference with the SA sear and/or not allowing the striker to release at all with a DA trigger pull.

I'd suggest putting lube on the top of the trigger bar, in the flat area where it rubs against the trigger bar guide. Grease may function better than oil for this purpose in this area.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Disregard my previous post.

I thought I was on the P99 section there for a second.

I'm not 100% sure if the "adjustable" part of the adjustable trigger bar guide is necessary for proper function in the PPQ. I'd assume that it is, but I'm not sure.

As long as the trigger bar (yellow) is oriented in a position to properly move what I'll call the disconnector (tan) backwards, to drop the sear (green), to release the striker (orange) when the trigger is pulled, then it should work. If the trigger bar is not in the correct location or position to do this, there will be issues with function.

I'd assume they put it there for a reason.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd also assume it was put there for a reason.

Although with or without the adjustable trigger guide bar installed the trigger mechanism seems to work exactly the same both ways. That's why I was questioning if it even has to be there.

With the adjustable trigger guide bar installed it barely pushes down on the trigger assembly bar just enough to give the trigger pull a gritty feeling.

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
With the slide removed and the adjustable trigger guide bar installed the trigger is very gritty. I put a drop of oil on it and that made it better but I could still feel some grit. All it seems to do is push down very slightly on the trigger assembly bar just enough to get some friction and cause the gritty feeling.

When the adjustable trigger guide bar is removed the trigger mechanism is like butter. No grit at all.

As of now I'm not going to remove it. I just don't understand the purpose of it especially when it makes my trigger feel the way it does.
OK, well.....that's odd. Can't say as I ever heard of this happening before. Most PPQ gritty triggers have been greatly improved or fixed by applying a drop of oil to the FPB and working it in.

As for the adjustable trigger bar guide, if the trigger has NO grit with the trigger bar guide removed and is gritty with the trigger bar guide installed, I'd personally be looking at the area of the trigger bar that engages with the trigger bar guide. I'd remove the trigger bar check for burrs/roughness and do a little honing/polishing in the area where it interfaces with the trigger bar guide.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Since you said that it pushes the trigger bar down a little bit... I'd try to determine whether it was the interface between the trigger bar and the adjuster, or between the trigger bar and the other parts of the gun. With the slide off and the adjuster removed, can you put a little pressure on the trigger bar (with a toothpick or qtip or something) and try it? If that makes the grittiness reappear, I'd check where the trigger bar contacts the frame (the bulge in the side of the trigger bar), or perhaps at the bottom of the trigger bar. Perhaps there's some grit or a burr there?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd assume they put it there for a reason.
I wouldn't. The PPQ still has the tab that interfaces with the decocker on the P99 despite the Q not having a decocker. It makes sense, from a manufacturing standpoint, to use as many parts as you've already got tooling for as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more vestigial parts that served a function in the P99 but aren't necessary in the PPQ.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I wouldn't.
The way I see it, better safe than sorry, until proven otherwise

The part that interfaces with the P99 decocker, needs to be there on the PPQ in order for it to function. It just serves one more purpose on the P99.

On the other hand, the cocked striker indicator from the P99 does not need to be there on the PPQ, and Walther took it out of the PPQ design, so it isn't just about what parts they can scavenge from other designs.

I'm not sure if this adjustable trigger bar guide is necessary on the PPQ, but if this is a defensive pistol, I'd suggest that the assumption is that it is absolutely necessary before taking it out, until proven otherwise.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not referring to the whole part as the tab is part of the disconnector but the bit that protrudes above the sear serves no purpose on the PPQ.

I agree though that the trigger bar guide should be left in place on any gun intended for defensive use. However it's possible that the gun may run 100% without it and I'd be interested to here a report from anyone that tries removing it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
odd that you want to have someone else be the guinea pig, lol

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm heading to the range tomorrow and never minded doing rocket surgery to my Walthers. I'll throw a PPQ in the box.

That said, removing it is likely to:

1) reduce the already limited engagement surface between the trigger bar and disconnector (Orange piece) and;

Could possibly;

2) damage the disconnector or trigger bar when the slide moves back forcing the trigger bar down across the face of the disconnector in order to (well) disconnect the trigger

3) cause some damage by allowing the trigger to ride higher against the FPB

·
Registered
565 Posts
Checking out the firing mechanism, the trigger bar does not ride appreciably higher w/o the guide and it does have a very good interface with the disconnector. We'll see.

·
Registered
24 Posts
odd that you want to have someone else be the guinea pig, lol
My PPQ is my go to defensive gun. If I had a second one you'd best believe I'd test it myself. I also wonder about applying some sort of high lubricity coating to the piece to help smooth thinges out without inducing reliability issues. I'm pretty sure the piece is polymer though so that probably just leaves the option of applying some grease.

·
Registered
182 Posts
This part is already polished on my pistol since 7k rounds ago when I decided to smooth my trigger. Also the part of the trigger bar that interfaces with it. After 7k rounds and while ckecking it today I found excessive wear on it (not the trigger bar). Truth being told, I forgot about the polishing and NEVER oiled it all this time. Pics attachedd

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts