Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a Yugoslavian SKS. The photo isn't my rifle because my photobucket only allows so many views of the picture per month unless I pay a fee for photo storage..., but it's identical. Picked it up for $450 + shipping and gun shop fees.

It took about 6 hours to get all the cosmoline off all the parts.... and there was a lot. Mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, and acetone were in the air.

I love shooting it, too. I bought a rubber recoil pad mostly for a stock extender, but it's softer shooting than my AR. It's accurate to 6" groups a 100 yds with crappy steel ammo with the iron sights with my lousy eyesight. Close enough, comrade. Haven't tried it with the corrosive primed stuff I have which is supposed to be a little hotter.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I owned a Chinese Norinco SKS and a Yugo SKS. I paid $89 plus tax for the unissued Chinese version and $175 for the Yugo that came with ammo and a few accessories. Both were not the greatest shooters but I bought them because ammo for them was very cheap.

When the ammo was used up and replacement ammo was no longer a deal I sold those guns without loosing money and never look back.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Very nice rifle. The 7.62x39 is such a fun and pleasant round to shoot. It's great being able to plink away the steel case stuff for really cheap, for now at least. I'm sure you're already aware, but if you do shoot the corrosive ammo, clean that crap out your rifle immediately after you're done at the range. Really nasty stuff if you don't take care of it quickly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice rifle. The 7.62x39 is such a fun and pleasant round to shoot. It's great being able to plink away the steel case stuff for really cheap, for now at least. I'm sure you're already aware, but if you do shoot the corrosive ammo, clean that crap out your rifle immediately after you're done at the range. Really nasty stuff if you don't take care of it quickly.
I have a crate of the corrosive stuff. Potassium chlorite is readily soluble in water. Clean the chorite residue with water and a rag. Dry it with denatured alcohol. Then clean the barrel with Hoppes #9 Copper solvent. Then clean and oil as normal.

But... I don't want to open that crate yet - it's still sealed... so I'm shooting the steel stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.