Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I purchased a PK380 largely because of its ease of operation for my wife who had difficulty manipulating the slide on anything larger than a Browning Buckmark. I have been experiencing accuracy problems recently which I think are ammo related. I do have two questions related to this fine little weapon.

1) my barrel is showing significant signs of rubbing and wear near the muzzle end. I suspect this comes from interference with the slide as the action operates. Is this normal for a weapon with less than 300 rounds placed through it? If normal, how can I best minimize it? If not normal what should I do about it?

2) during my last two outings with this weapon I noticed that when inserting the magazine when the action was locked open, the slide would close by itself about one time in two. I could also see the same issue without a magazine when with the slide locked open, I whacked the magazine opening against the palm of my hand. As it happened, the RSO had a similar weapon a few months older than mine and while he had not previously noticed it, he could also cause an automatic slide closure without a magazine by slapping the magazine opening with his hand. Am I nuts and this is perfectly normal for this model? If it isn't normal what should I do about it?

Thanks for your help,
Bill
Connecticut

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I purchased a PK380 largely because of its ease of operation for my wife who had difficulty manipulating the slide on anything larger than a Browning Buckmark. I have been experiencing accuracy problems recently which I think are ammo related. I do have two questions related to this fine little weapon.

Hello Bill, Our PK380 also belongs to my wife and she loves it. I'm not even close to a good shooter, but when the stars align her PK is really accurate. Surprising at times.

1) my barrel is showing significant signs of rubbing and wear near the muzzle end. I suspect this comes from interference with the slide as the action operates. Is this normal for a weapon with less than 300 rounds placed through it? If normal, how can I best minimize it? If not normal what should I do about it?

This seems to be super common on these pistols. Searching turns up plenty of people asking the same question. Walther says it will not harm or effect the thing. Ours started to scrape as soon as I fired it. Marred up the barrel pretty good. Break it down and look under the slide where the barrel goes thru, there usually is a sharp edge on that hole from the factory. That and the barrel being coated black is a nasty combo. I deburred ours with a dremmel tool, and a little fine sandpaper. Kind of hard to get at, but smooth that up and it should cure the bad scrapes / gouging. I also wet sanded the black coating off the barrel and polished it. No more issues, looks nice, and no more wear.

2) during my last two outings with this weapon I noticed that when inserting the magazine when the action was locked open, the slide would close by itself about one time in two. I could also see the same issue without a magazine when with the slide locked open, I whacked the magazine opening against the palm of my hand. As it happened, the RSO had a similar weapon a few months older than mine and while he had not previously noticed it, he could also cause an automatic slide closure without a magazine by slapping the magazine opening with his hand. Am I nuts and this is perfectly normal for this model? If it isn't normal what should I do about it?

Again another common issue. Ours quit doing this after I did a deep cleaning of the thing, seems acceptable now. But I can still get it to do it if I give it a good rap on the bottom of the mag. It shouldn't do that, do a search on it as well. If ours acts up again I'll send it in and make them fix it.

These are truly nice little pistols, just a few issues that cause grief. Oh, and you know about the recall I hope?

Jesse

Thanks for your help,
Bill
Connecticut
Hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jesse,
Thanks very much for your thoughts on my PK380 issues. Both my wife and myself really like this pistol. I will follow your advice in removing a burr on the inside edge of the barrel opening on the slide. I will also call Walther and ask for their help with the slide release problem.

Thanks again,
Bill in CT

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got off the phone with S&W/Walther customer service regarding unexpected slide release on my PK380. The CS person somewhat reluctantly agreed to have a "safety check" done on my weapon even though he believed that slide closure during magazine insertion was quite normal. I explained that I have a number of pistols of different manufacture and not one of them has ever closed a slide this way.

Shipping materials are on the way. We'll see how this goes. More to follow.
Bill C in CT

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just got off the phone with S&W/Walther customer service regarding unexpected slide release on my PK380. The CS person somewhat reluctantly agreed to have a "safety check" done on my weapon even though he believed that slide closure during magazine insertion was quite normal. I explained that I have a number of pistols of different manufacture and not one of them has ever closed a slide this way.

Shipping materials are on the way. We'll see how this goes. More to follow.
Bill C in CT
Well, I have been told some pistols are designed to do that, but not the PK380. I did a search on the net and it's a common issue that can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. I thought it was a feature but soon realized it was not consistent. I can't remember the pros / cons but after researching it decided it wasn't a good thing. So let us know how that turns out.

I really Flip flop on this pistol. It's a great size, easy to rack, pretty damn accurate, but would like my wife to look at other options for a carry weapon. I have a couple of Kahr's and they are quality bar none. Top notch, and built like a tank. I'd trust my life to my PM9, but not the PK. Fun gun to shoot though, so it's not going anywhere soon.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My pistol had the same slide release problem. Smith fixed it free of charge. It now functions perfectly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts